What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado 38 Colorado State 17 - Pros and Cons

Pros-third down conversions a plus on both sides of the ball.
Running backs looked strong.
JFly on KO returns.
Coaching made good adjustments.

Cons: penalties. bad snaps. No WR big plays of more than 20 yards.

How 'bout not enough plays of > 20 yards by WR's? McKnight's TD and the catch by Celestine were both over 20.

Anyone else notice that Stewart didn't see the field again after the fumble? Looked real good up to that point though.

Also, really liked the last few runs from DS. The power, balance and tackle breaking ability was nice.

I won't forget Summler who looked good too. He hit the hole really well. I felt confident he wouldn't make any mistakes with the ball in his hand.

J-fly was real fun to watch, what speed, but he is quite the risk reward. Great speed but hold the ball out there to be slapped away a bit much.

Con - Just saw the post game interview with the lammie coach and he seems like a descent strait up guy. Hating the lammies is easier when they have a trash mouth dousche bag HC.

Fairchild = narcolepsy in a green shirt. :boring::sleep:

Pros
- Buffs Win and the game was never in doubt.
- RBs did not go down on first contact.
- Hawkins looked to have very good charge of the offense.
- J-Fly beats his nephew to the endzone (and looked good doing it)
- Turnout at Portland's watch party was very good.

Cons
- Tackling. It seemed to be consistently poor. Not wrapping up. Too many yards after contact.
- QB pressure. As others have pointed out, it only seemed to come when the QB had no place to go. No real hurries.

The win was not as inspiring as I had hoped it would be but there was enough there to build on. Here's to a good year.

And when they become the diamond cross hatching patter that Oregon has next year...?

You see any highlights of the Oregon game from last night? Some of the players had yellow shoes on! :wow:

Con - Just saw the post game interview with the lammie coach and he seems like a descent strait up guy. Hating the lammies is easier when they have a trash mouth dousche bag HC.

Yea, nothing like lubejob with the major chip on his shoulder.

Cons
- Tackling. It seemed to be consistently poor. Not wrapping up. Too many yards after contact.
- QB pressure. As others have pointed out, it only seemed to come when the QB had no place to go. No real hurries.

The win was not as inspiring as I had hoped it would be but there was enough there to build on. Here's to a good year.

Agreed, I also noticed a number of missed tackles.

We got some nice press down here in the land of clay. Had a couple of highlights (usually don't get any, since we're not in the b12 south), talked about J-Fly's big play, and Cody's good game. Also said we played good D in the second half to pull away.

I'm stunned........

- It wasn't the drubbing I was expecting. This is because of issues that haunted CU in 2007: Turnovers, bad snaps, getting burned on pass routes.
- Settling for the FG instead of the TD in the red zone was a bummer. CSU was keyed in on Scott.
+ Both J-Fly and Scott got their first TDs in CU uniforms on opening night. The 1-2 puch is something I can get used to. Woot!
+ J-Fly busting the first KR for a TD since Bloom. Woot! (Just don't fumble the ball)
+ Cody as MVP of the game. Never gave up the lead. Spread the ball around well.
+ Walters & Jones had some big hits. The whole LB corps is a source of strength.
+ Sperry wasn't an issue this year.

pros: big holes in the running game toward the end, timely completions, good depth at RB

cons: lack of pressure on QB (despite some sacks), lots of open space defensively on a few long passes, everything that might have looked good might be jack **** because it was CSU, and they might very well be extremely bad. i cannot emphasize this last point enough. i guess we'll find out more to an extent against EWU, but for sure against WVU.

I didn't notice Moyd at all--is he still #2 on the depth chart?

I think I saw him on special teams - but not on offense. Interesting.

Oh, one more Pro that I forgot:

- Not having to listen to lammie crap on this board for a long time. No "If not for this one play.....", or "That one penalty killed us.....", or "We gave you the game....", blah, blah, blah.

Pros:

-We look so much faster overall. The comparison to the last couple years is pretty startling.
-We have a nice stable of RBs.
-MTM looks like he could be the starter the rest of the way.
-We snuffed out their screen game quite well.
-Third down offense and defense.
-Scotty freaking McKnight. We are lucky to have this guy. He is rapidly becoming my favorite offensive player.
-Containment by our DEs. We looked light years better than last year in that department.
-The hurry-up aspect of the offense was effective. I think that can be a valuable weapon down the line.

Cons:

-Penalties. And more concerning, they were mostly mental errors. That needs to change.
-Bad snaps.

Pros - First game was a great run through with minimal injuries and mistakes and a big win to start the season

Cons - Penalties were a bit bad, the o-line still seems a bit shaky at times, hard to know how good we are considering the opposition's lack of talent.

Here's what I liked:

1. Josh Smith. Despite the bad fumble, he looks extremely confident out there. He knows he's good enough to take it to the house on every play and he's looking to do so. His speed on the KO returns was breath taking.

2. The other WRs. I liked what I saw out of this unit. Scotty picked right back up where he left off. PWill caught all the balls that came his way. JFly had a couple nice plays. And even Celestine got into the action late in the game (that was a TD, they should have reviewed it). Add in the receiving skills of Devenny and Speedy and bring Geer into the fold...wow. Lots of weapons for Cody. A half-negative -- how much better would this unit be with Simas out there?? :bang: But, the strength as a unit showed. Cody found a number of people open and got them the ball.

3. Speaking of, Cody looked great. He ran the offense with poise and control. He took what was there and didn't force anything. He found the open guy and he made sure the open guy got the ball exactly where he needed to get it. His leadership is something that is great to see. As long as he continues to take what the Ds are giving him, this offense should be fun to watch. Also, the INT wasn't his fault and I liked how he immediately went and made the tackle. Finally, he even ran over (well not over but ran through at least) a CSU LB on one of his scrambles in the 2nd half. I liked that.

4. RB depth -- Sumler is solid, Speedy is fast, and DScott will be great. A lot of different things for the D to think about, especially when we have two of them back there.

5. The long drive in the end of the third start of the fourth. It didn't end up with 7, but the offense killed the clocked and killed CSU's will while taking 7+ minutes off the clock and pushing the lead back to 14. This drive shows what I'm excited about. The Buffs are bigger and stronger and this drive showed it. They wore out the CSU line and got what they needed. Also, the Buffs are more poised than in the past. Behind CHawk, the O just took everything they wanted on that drive and didn't panic on any 3rd downs. Just move the chains and eat the clock. As beautiful a drive as we could have asked for other than settling for 3.

What I didn't like

1. Penalties and mental mistakes -- this one should have gotten out of hand early, but like always, we let them back into the game with dumb mistakes. Aaagh! Hopefully this will be cleared up.

2. The snaps. I'm having trouble getting behind an offense run entirely out of the shotgun when we have four or five bad snaps a game.

3. The entire shotgun offense. It worked pretty well, but I'm not sure we'll have so much success against faster and bigger teams. I'd like to see the Buffs mix in some other sets. Maybe an I formation and just run over these assholes...

Overall, I'm pleased. A good win to get the season off to a good start. Clean up the mistakes and this team will be ready to give WVU, FSU, and Texas all they can handle. I'm excited!

I love how poised cody was today. Even when bad things happened (snaps coming at him at the bad time, DScott FORGETTING THE PLAY AND NOT TAKING THE BALL), Cody would keep his cool and keep the play going and would even sometimes make something out of it. He is not a "true" spread option QB or anything, but he looks much more like a dangerous "system" QB now. I am looking forward to him kicking more ass this year.

Dscott and Speedy are just amazing. Scott reminds me of a pro level NFL back in the way he moves. Very efficient, very powerful, very deceptive. Speedy, well, speedy is the perfect back for this offense. It is to bad he fumbled and got yanked.

Jfly, DUH.

MOHLER!! Our LB's got out of position a few times and let the CSU backs break some long runs to the outside, but this guy was FAST. I saw him run down a CSU WR on a play and then make a wicket tackle.

SMART! This guy was everywhere he needed to be tonight. I think he is a big reason why our inner run D is so good. Need a whole filled? No worries, Smart will be there.

A lot of people mentioned that it looked like our offense was fighting itself for every yard last year. We held our breath every play not knowning wtf was gonna happen. Not so this year. These guys look dangerous!

Not sure whether it's a pro or a con: That guy in the color guard (I'll say it again, that GUY in the color guard) that they kept showing on TV. For my money, nothing goes together more awkwardly than a skin tight gold foil outfit and a lot of stubble.

Has this become a tradition at CU? I remember my last few years up there a really pasty redheaded guy was on the color guard. Sort of thought he was a walking aberration... guess I was wrong on that one!

Not sure whether it's a pro or a con: That guy in the color guard (I'll say it again, that GUY in the color guard) that they kept showing on TV. For my money, nothing goes together more awkwardly than a skin tight gold foil outfit and a lot of stubble.

Has this become a tradition at CU? I remember my last few years up there a really pasty redheaded guy was on the color guard. Sort of thought he was a walking aberration... guess I was wrong on that one!
my roomy is an arkansas boy and he said they have 3 or 4 guys on their color guard, so it could be worse....

let him be in the color guard if he wants to. takes a lot of courage challenging stereotypes.

let him be in the color guard if he wants to. takes a lot of courage challenging stereotypes.

Oh, I'll admit it's ballsy, no argument there.

That said, considering that this appears to be becoming a regular occurrence, it might be about time for CU to make up a male colorguard outfit. The whole skin tight gold bodysuit thing... it's just not flattering on a man's body.

Oh, I'll admit it's ballsy, no argument there.

That said, considering that this appears to be becoming a regular occurrence, it might be about time for CU to make up a male colorguard outfit. The whole skin tight gold bodysuit thing... it's just not flattering on a man's body.

depends on the body. black would be better. anyway. chat.

An obvious con was the bad snaps and a lot of ppl have pointed that out but luckily this is a problem that will be fixed. However, the major con is the lack of pressure from our d-line. It didn't seem to me that we brought LB's to many times and I guess thats because we weren't to worried about Farris and crew. The problem is when we start playing teams with good QBs if we can't get pressure we're ****ed. Someone pointed out earlier that they didn't like the whole shotgun offense and I have to agree to an extent. I like that the shotgun gives time for Cody to make his reads, but I feel like it is killing our running game. We have some talented backs and a good line and I think sometimes we should just line up and go 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

The pros were pretty clear I dont think there are any that haven't already been said. Except that this game is just one more reason that it sucks to be a csu lamb.

Devenny had some great catches- seemed like most were for 1st downs-

Held csu to 2-12 on 3rd down conversions

liked goal line offense- csu wasn't ready to play as the ball was snapped

Coach Hawk out coached Fairchild

Here is the biggest pro in the game. Even when CU really kicked ass in terms of talent, whenever they played CSU the game seemed even. Tonight, there was a huge discrepancy in terms of talent. We completely outclassed CSU. I do not know if that means we will compete for the north, probably not, but it does mean that we are getting the people in the program that we need and that the coaching is going to maxmize that talent.

Pros - the tailgate party was da shizznit. Must have been 50+ people there.
Watching the lammie fans hit the exits with 8 minutes to go in the game. Seeing lots and lots of "Rabid Goldfish" shirts. These things are going to be big. Running back depth. We're now a three (possibly four, if Moyd gets going) headed monster. Fresh legs means big gains in the fourth quarter. That will translate to wins. Third down play - simply fantastic.

Cons - It rained for a while, and I was unprepared.

Neither a pro nor a con, just an observation - We were totally vanilla on both offense and defense. No sweeps, one reverse, no deep balls, no pulling guards. Just basic football. On defense, the same thing. Very little blitzes, if any. We mostly lined up in a 4-3 and dared them to beat us. We didn't show West Virginia anything today. Film on this game will be useless.

Neither a pro nor a con, just an observation - We were totally vanilla on both offense and defense. No sweeps, one reverse, no deep balls, no pulling guards. Just basic football. On defense, the same thing. Very little blitzes, if any. We mostly lined up in a 4-3 and dared them to beat us. We didn't show West Virginia anything today. Film on this game will be useless.

I noticed that too. It felt like Hawkins was determined to beat CSU straight up with nothing fancy.

Back