What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Daily – CSU

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=3][/h][h=3]Colorado Daily – Colorado State[/h]August 26th
Depth Chart released – Connor Wood named starting quarterback
The Colorado depth chart has been released, and can be found here.
From CUBuffs.com … At long last, Connor Wood has an offense to command. Of more importance, he’s never felt better about being in command.
An arduous and frequently frustrating journey that has taken him from Austin to Boulder and through three coaching staffs has culminated in what Wood has dreamt of all along: to enter a college football season as a starting quarterback.
The 6-4, 225-pound junior will open for Colorado on Sunday against rival Colorado State in the Rocky Mountain Showdown. Kickoff is at 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network) at Denver’s Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
Wood’s backup will be Sefo Liufau, a gifted true freshman who absorbed enough of CU’s pistol offense and made enough plays in August camp to ease past junior college transfer Jordan Gehrke and third-year sophomore Stevie Joe Dorman.
But the pistol is in Wood’s hands first, and he and his coaches believe he has the right feel for it.
“Since March it’s been a really, really good growing process for me – especially this summer,” Wood said. “It was a big time for me and my maturation in the offense. It served me well.”
“I’ve been pleased with his progress,” Wood’s position coach, offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren, said. “Attending the Manning Academy in the summer was really big for him, being around some starters from around the country. You could tell his confidence was boosted from that. And being selected a captain by his teammates – that’s as big an honor as you can have, in my opinion. It shows the confidence this team has in him.”
A high school All-America selection in Houston (Second Baptist), Wood transferred from Texas to CU in 2011, sat out the mandatory transfer season and started one game (playing in seven) for the Buffs in 2012. His lone start – against Washington – wasn’t memorable: he attempted six passes, completed three for 11 yards, and threw two interceptions …

Gehrke (6-1, 190) said the biggest area of improvement for him must come in sharpening his timing with receivers: “Timing is the hurdle. It pays off in the long run when you don’t have to constantly look at your guys. You’re throwing to so many different receivers and you have to learn who can get out of breaks quicker, who takes a little more time. That just comes with time.”
Dorman (6-2, 215) said his biggest strides in August camp were in his accuracy: “I felt like I really improved a lot and had a good camp. From the spring until now, I’m way more comfortable with the offense. There’s not a big difference (in the pistol), but we have more wrinkles out of it. There’s a whole lot more diversity in having a back behind you instead on left or right side because you can run either way. I like it.”

Other Depth Chart notes of note
- Kicker Justin Castor, who was being used for kickoffs, and as a backup at kicker, is out for the season with a hip injury. Freshman Chris Graham will now backup Will Oliver at placekicker.
- The only other players already lost for the season due to injury are senior defensive back Josh Moten, out with an Achilles injury, and walk-on senior linebacker Tommy Papilion (knee).
- Other players on the injury list for the week include tailback Josh Ford (ankle), offensive lineman Jeromy Irwin (foot) and quarterback Jordan Webb (knee).
-*The offense lists 12 possible starters*on offense, including three wide receivers. Joining Paul Richardson and Nelson Spruce as a designated starter at wide receiver is junior D.D. Goodson.
- The interior line for Colorado State: center Gus Handler; guards Kaiwi Crabb and Daniel Munyer.
- Sophomore Christian Powell is the starter at running back, with his primary backup junior Tony Jones.
- Freshman Addison Gilliam held onto his starting position at linebacker, holding off junior Brady Daigh.
- The starting safeties will be junior Jared Bell (free) and senior Parker Orms (strong).
- The Buffs’ nickel back will be freshman Chidobe Awuzie, with sophomore Marques Mosley serving as the dime back.

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

Back