What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado or Washington?

Better beer?

• Colorado

• Washington

Results are only viewable after voting.
How can anyone who chooses the handle @GoonieBuff pick anything besides Oregon? Bouy? Ft George? Where's your loyalty?
Ha. I'm all about the Colorado beer scene - there is nowhere better. I did get the chance to check out some of the breweries in Oregon in the summer of '15. I had a great time and liked a lot of what I tasted, but didn't develop any strong allegiances. When I was in Bend, I really enjoyed visiting Deschutes, walking across the bridge to the park and then seeing a concert right after the tour.

Obviously outsized comparison of population and physical size relative to CO/WA/OR, but California really has a legitimate argument in the beer realm as well in terms of the best state...

Russian River, Lagunitas, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Anchor Steam, Anderson Valley, Firestone Walker, Bear Republic, etc... loads more. Both San Diego and the Northern Bay Area are tremendous.

It never seems to get as much love because it is so disparately distributed, but in terms of quality or quantity, it's gotta be right there as a whole state.

That said, the amount and caliber of breweries located between FoCo and the Springs, or even FoCo and Denver, is hard to match anywhere, and is unmatched in any area of the same geographic size (FoCo to Denver = 65 miles long and say 20 miles across)

Jeez, you guys. I've lived in Seattle since I left Boulder (2005), but I get back to CO (and visit breweries there) with some frequency...the lack of knowledge in the WA scene (you're judging us on elysian, for chrissake?) is a bit surprising, but I guess makes sense. lots of great beer but we keep it to ourselves more. ;-)

Holy Mountain is amazingly and consistently excellent across so many styles. Bread and butter is mixed fermentation saisons, but worth waiting in line for fruited sours, knock your socks off barleywine, BA stouts, and then just occasionally release a world class IPA.
Fremont's barrel program is absurdly good (B-Bomb and variants, KDS and variants, Brew 1K/2K barleywines) and not that hard to come by. Also make my favorite fresh hop beer, cowiche canyon. (fresh hop season is amazing, and plentiful here...) Core beers are solid as well.
Skookum is a local treasure trove of delicious hazy IPAs, knocking them out one after another.
Cloudburst doesn't do much of the haze craze, but another place pumping out delicious IPAs.
Engine House #9 for great sours.
Reuben's, Bale Breaker, Stoup, Three Magnets, Matchless, Seapine... Georgetown for a bigger place doing good work.

Some pretty awesome beer in CO (I like Casey, Crooked Stave, Black Project, TRVE, Weldwerks, Avery...) and greater volume for sure, but don't be sleeping on top shelf WA beers. (As a sidenote, the proximity and access to the Portland scene (Great Notion, de Garde, Upright, Cascade, etc. etc.) is pretty awesome as well.)

And now that I feel dirty a little due to the upcoming game and my defense of WA..... GO BUFFS! ;-)

San Diego started the whole craft beer scene in California, but the rest of the state is catching up quickly. Colorado has plenty going on, it seems; I just know that every time I go there, there is something new and good.

Jeez, you guys. I've lived in Seattle since I left Boulder (2005), but I get back to CO (and visit breweries there) with some frequency...the lack of knowledge in the WA scene (you're judging us on elysian, for chrissake?) is a bit surprising, but I guess makes sense. lots of great beer but we keep it to ourselves more. ;-)

Holy Mountain is amazingly and consistently excellent across so many styles. Bread and butter is mixed fermentation saisons, but worth waiting in line for fruited sours, knock your socks off barleywine, BA stouts, and then just occasionally release a world class IPA.
Fremont's barrel program is absurdly good (B-Bomb and variants, KDS and variants, Brew 1K/2K barleywines) and not that hard to come by. Also make my favorite fresh hop beer, cowiche canyon. (fresh hop season is amazing, and plentiful here...) Core beers are solid as well.
Skookum is a local treasure trove of delicious hazy IPAs, knocking them out one after another.
Cloudburst doesn't do much of the haze craze, but another place pumping out delicious IPAs.
Engine House #9 for great sours.
Reuben's, Bale Breaker, Stoup, Three Magnets, Matchless, Seapine... Georgetown for a bigger place doing good work.

Some pretty awesome beer in CO (I like Casey, Crooked Stave, Black Project, TRVE, Weldwerks, Avery...) and greater volume for sure, but don't be sleeping on top shelf WA beers. (As a sidenote, the proximity and access to the Portland scene (Great Notion, de Garde, Upright, Cascade, etc. etc.) is pretty awesome as well.)

And now that I feel dirty a little due to the upcoming game and my defense of WA..... GO BUFFS! ;-)

Washington beer is fine, and better than 45 other states.

About 2 years ago, got this beer in Durango called Lemon Hooch. I asked the store clerk if it was beer, he said yes. I'm like cool ok. Idk if it's a whole state thing or what really? It was really good. One problem, don't get it if you get heartburn lol.

Back