What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Post-game/Offseason thread

Most everything has been said already, but I'll reiterate: guards, guards, guards ... all day, all night, all season. In our losses and even in many of our wins, the guard disparity was shocking. A few other observations:
  • For people moaning about why we didn't shoot many 3s today .... because we simply couldn't. Quick guards of UConn defended all the way to the arc, knowing that our guards cannot penetrate with any consistent effectiveness. This is where Tad's stagnant offense is thoroughly exposed ... the lack of screens to free up a spot-up shooter. We get our outside looks off kickouts ... the post was doubled and tripled today, making it difficult to find the open man. And besides that, GMFK (and maybe Fortune) is the only one with an effective quick trigger. Fortune, Dom and Fletch all require open looks to be effective shooters.
  • IMO, barring a King-like transformation by Dom this summer, I'd rather see him move to 3rd in line at PG (or just transfer). I simply don't see him as ever being a legit P12 PG (honestly never have). Too slow, rarely breaks anyone down off the dribble, bad defender. The one good midseason stretch he had this year was because teams were playing off him. He doesn't handle pressure defense well at all. I think Yaz is far more dynamic, agressive, better hoops IQ and has the raw potential to be an effective facilitator PG, if not a star.
  • Nobody is really talking about this, but I worry a little about the depth behind Wes and Tory next year. This year, we had 3 experienced "bigs" ... next year we'll have 2. If either gets injured or in foul trouble, we could be in trouble against teams with multiple big men. XJ coming back will help, but he's not known for low post play on either end. Honestly, not sure where he fits in with next year's group.
  • I'm mostly bullish on next season. Obviously losing Josh is huge, but we simply will be better at PG and on the perimeter ... solid talent coming in and another year of development for everyone except Talton. As maddening as Fortune is (believe me, I nearly broke my chair when he turned that ball over immediately after we got it back down 3 with a minute left), he's still one of our most dynamic players ... he's fearless and makes things happen (50/50 good vs bad). If he can tilt that to 70/30, we'll be much better. I think this team dances next year for sure.

I like it. I know people want us to get another big but outside of Arizona, not a lot of teams have two bigs like we did with Josh & Wes. Going smaller gives us flexibility and versatility. We may struggle a touch on D, but with Tad I'm willing to take that chance. If XJ is playing the 4, the rebounding won't drop off as much as people think. In '15, XJ had a higher DReb % than Josh did. And King's overall DReb % this year was only 12%, but it really seemed to pick up over the last month (need to try to find the numbers on this).

And I really think opening up the paint for Wes will end well. He had some nice moves in the paint today.
I love XJ at the 4. He is a nightmare matchup because of his ability to shoot from the perimeter. He needs to realize that is where he needs to play.

I don't think Dom's issue is him being too slow, His issue is that he is too small/weak in this level and he plays in the same lazy, lay-back style as he did in high school.

He got a nice touch, he is decent in his mid-range jump shot and 3 point shot. He just can not get used to the physical play style, and he is not very careful with the ball.

I won't call him a waste right now, let's wait and see his development in this offseason.

And regarding Josh Fortune, I just think the coaching group is using him as the absolutely wrong way. It just seems like to me no one can design a set of C&S plays for him. I don't understand this.

We would do ourselves well to find another big for depth purposes. Guz needs to decide immediately whether he's all in.

I don't think Dom's issue is him being too slow, His issue is that he is too small/weak in this level and he plays in the same lazy, lay-back style as he did in high school.

This is where I stand on the Collier issue. And I'll add his melancholic temperament. He's still not physically ready for college basketball. He's quick enough, he's smart enough, he's got a good enough shot, he can dribble just fine. But he's too damn weak. I think he's going to show up next year with the kind of physical frame to be a true starting PG. If he gets the size, his confidence will be up. He'll be able to battle, he'll be able to stay in front of his man defensively, because his mentality will shift. No more "old man" defense you see in small town athletic club basketball. No more fouls for playing "old man" defense in athletic clubs. No more "old man" drives that end up with him on the floor for no reason.

We'll know come first practice whether we can depend on him or not. If he's wearing a t-shirt next year under his uniform I say he rides the pine.

And regarding Josh Fortune, I just think the coaching group is using him as the absolutely wrong way. It just seems like to me no one can design a set of C&S plays for him. I don't understand this.

I totally agree. He is a potent shooter, use him as such. Vinnie the microwave kinda guy, for us old folk :)

Josh is a so so ball handler, some improvement possible, not a bunch likely.

I think Akyazili is going to keep improving. We're going to be in for a treat with him for the next few seasons. I do not expect the shooting slump to continue.

My worries with Akyazili are two-fold 1) he's already physically maxed out, and 2) shooting form doesn't usually change as drastically as his needs to this late in a career. But that's not to say he won't continue to do the same positive things we've seen from him this year, and do it smarter.

I think Akyazili is going to keep improving. We're going to be in for a treat with him for the next few seasons. I do not expect the shooting slump to continue.

Yaz has definite upside. I think he will settle in next year. Back up guy I think at PG. right?

My worries with Akyazili are two-fold 1) he's already physically maxed out, and 2) shooting form doesn't usually change as drastically as his needs to this late in a career. But that's not to say he won't continue to do the same positive things we've seen from him this year, and do it smarter.

He's definitely not going to become some athletic wonder, but in terms of what you'd like to have from a second PG, we're in good shape. He was inconsistent, but he showed flashes beyond what you'd expect from a freshman at times. I do think the shooting can be fixed with an offseason.

I assume Ak will continue to feature for Belgium as well. That's a nice plus to have a guy facing top Euro competition. And while
I know nothing about Belgium's team, I would imagine a pg from a power conference program would be one of their top youth options. Belgium ain't Italy, Spain, or Lithuania.

Birch I think part of it for Yaz, was transition to US game, Boulder. If valid, I think we may get a jump, just based on improved comfort. We probably will know pretty early next year I would think. Looking for the bright side maybe, but I believe he is going to improve.

Birch I think part of it for Yaz, was transition to US game, Boulder. If valid, I think we may get a jump, just based on improved comfort. We probably will know pretty early next year I would think. Looking for the bright side maybe, but I believe he is going to improve.

Absolutely think the transition played a role. He did well all things considered. I hate "cerebral", but he is. The game is going to slow down for him and we'll be getting the passes we desperately need

We would do ourselves well to find another big for depth purposes. Guz needs to decide immediately whether he's all in.

Agree with this. You always got to root for the kids. Give em a shooters chance. But I'm not high on Guz.

Here's to hoping Dallas Walton puts on good strength and takes care of those knees (nightly bedtime ritual of comfrey root and ginger poultices and some Solomon's Seal tincture). He could help us in a year or two.

Birch I think part of it for Yaz, was transition to US game, Boulder.

Definitely. He's going to improve, for sure. And I'm super happy with his play this year, as I had zero expectations for him. Excited to have him in the fold next year. He's pretty fearless. You got to love that.

I assume Ak will continue to feature for Belgium as well. That's a nice plus to have a guy facing top Euro competition. And while
I know nothing about Belgium's team, I would imagine a pg from a power conference program would be one of their top youth options. Belgium ain't Italy, Spain, or Lithuania.
I totally agree. I liked the look of his game from day one. In my mind, his first year was miles ahead of Dom's first year. Sure, needs to shoot better and realize when the other team has a dominant shotblocker (twice today!). But how many times did he make a sweet no-look pass this year, or penetrate and free up someone for an easy bucket? A lot more per minute played than Dom. Just putting pressure on the defense from the PG position ... by contrast Dom lopes up the floor and looks to make the safe pass out to the wing immediately. Yaz at least looks like he might try to blow past you ... putting the defender on their heels from the start.

I posted this in the locked thread but I have a list for @ZandiBuff and @DenverBuff77

Do you guys know what this list of NCAA basketball teams is:
Cincinati
Duke
Gonzaga
Iowa st
Kansas
Michigan state
UNC
VCU
Wishita state
Wisconsin

I'm guessing whatever this list is that it's gonna be an interesting answer.

The only schools twho have been to more tournaments than CU in the last 5 years?

Huh I don't see any other Pac12 schools on that lists, is that a bad thing?

I don't mean this as disrespect to anyone, but I really do feel that a lot of the love for Yaz is due to the low expectations. Likewise, a lot of disappointment with Dom are the high hopes that people had. That's not to say you all don't have fair points, but I continue to think that Yaz will be a great, solid BACKUP PG. Someone talked about Dom needing a GK like improvement, but I actually think that applies more to Yaz. Dom has the tools...he just needs a lot of refining...I think a lot of it mental. He's not aggressive enough, and do think he could work on his penetration - feel like his handle is too forward at times and could be tighter. Yaz has tools, and while I can see the point that his frosh year was better than Dom's (although not sure I agree), his tools aren't as nice imo.

Regardless, we need better PG play, and may the best man win. I'm glad that some of you are really bullish on the Buffs next season, but I think we'll miss Scott a lot. I know nobody is saying he won't be missed, but what he brought to the court this year will be difficult to replace - even just thinking about court spacing. XJ is key next year imo.

I ask this because I'm honestly curious, why do some posters seem to think Akyazili is physically maxed out? He just turned 19 a couple months ago, born January 15, 1997. Is it because he is white? Is it because, even as a Freshman, he already looks like he has spent considerable time in a weight room?

My observation is that male athletes continue to mature and develop explosive athleticism until 26 or 27, when they peak. Even in sports that are almost purely based on raw athletic ability, like swimming, athletes peak around 21 (http://www.wired.com/2011/07/athletes-peak-age/). I expect to see Thomas not only grow his basketball game over the summer, but also come back a more well-balanced athlete. We need him and Collier to push each other this summer.

Watching Wich St play how I wish we would play. Even when shots are not falling just out hustling the opponent. Hope they have enough gas in the tank 2nd half and take out AZ.

I ask this because I'm honestly curious, why do some posters seem to think Akyazili is physically maxed out? He just turned 19 a couple months ago, born January 15, 1997. Is it because he is white? Is it because, even as a Freshman, he already looks like he has spent considerable time in a weight room?

My observation is that male athletes continue to mature and develop explosive athleticism until 26 or 27, when they peak. Even in sports that are almost purely based on raw athletic ability, like swimming, athletes peak around 21 (http://www.wired.com/2011/07/athletes-peak-age/). I expect to see Thomas not only grow his basketball game over the summer, but also come back a more well-balanced athlete. We need him and Collier to push each other this summer.

fwiw - I'm with you, as I disagree with the post you quoted. I don't think he's maxed out, and his shooting isn't terrible and can be coached (check out Buddy Hield's form from frosh year to now). But...I do not see raw athleticism for bball skills to grow into. Yes, he can increase his athleticism, but what we've seen so far isn't mind-blowing. That's not a death nail though.

Not because he is white. More that his frame is pretty jacked. And yes, he will probably continue to fine tune and develop some explosiveness, but there's an intuitive element at play here. Some people's physique and athletic ability has a higher ceiling than others. What you quoted was a "worry" I have that he is already physically maxed out. If he isn't, that'll dispel my worry.

Is it because, even as a Freshman, he already looks like he has spent considerable time in a weight room?

For me its this, many of our freshman who come in look like twigs, Yaz didn't so the assumption is he's further along in his development, not necessarily that he might have a higher ceiling.

Regarding the season just ended, there seems to be a lot of satisfaction on AB, tinged of course with disappointment at today's outcome. My take on the season is overall disappointment, for the following reasons:
- from the season's start I stated my criteria for success would be winning a game in the tournament. This did not happen.
- in spite of moderate preseason expectations, it became apparent quickly that this year's team was several notches above the previous year. Subsequently we lost winnable games to ISU, SMU, Utah (twice), USC, AZ (P12 tournament), and Connecticut today. Had we won those games the record would have been 29-5 and we'd still be playing. I know you can't win all the close ones, but still...
- I am very sure that Tad is not satisfied with the season. Way too many big opportunities lost.
- Yes we're stagnant in a historically great position, tied regular season record for wins etc etc, but to have the opportunity for breaking through this "good stagnancy" with perhaps the best Buff season ever, record team wins, big road wins, multiple NCAA tournament wins, high top-25 ranking, national recognition and respect - well I can't get excited sitting back and selectively remembering the good times.

Just my perspective. I see a lot of potential to have the "great season" next year that we didn't have this year, and am looking forward to that opportunity getting underway next November.

Back