What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado - Utah Game Needs a Trophy

Chautauqua

Club Member
Club Member
There has been a lot of talk about the PAC-12 wanting the game between Utah and Colorado to turn into a rivalry, but despite Utah's fuskerific color scheme no bad blood has formed between the schools. The game has a name, Rumble in the Rockies. There has been 62 meetings and yet it still feels like there is a lack of shared history, Colorado leads the series 31–28–3 I would like to note. Maybe what this game needs is an epic trophy for the winner.* How much fun is Paul Bunyan's Axe or the Golden Boot? So I have taken it upon myself to create a thread to suggest trophy ideas. I am hopeful that the AllBuffs community's outsized influence on the Colorado football landscape can make a trophy a reality.

To get the ball rolling I will suggest a trophy idea. Utah and Colorado have been dubbed the ski schools by the rest of the PAC-12. Therefore, it is only fitting that we play for the Shot Ski. Winning team gets to drink in the taste of victory. Like Paul Bunyan's Axe, the score of every game could be inscribed on the trophy itself. Even though it took me several minutes of intense concentration to come up with this idea, I have a feeling the creative posters in this forum can do better so let's hear some suggestions.

BarBoard-600x600.jpeg

* Just want to note that I believe the real reason this isn't a rivalry is the lack of meaningful games. That changes this weekend.

Love the idea of creating a trophy for this game - no chance it will include shot glasses.

Silver Ski Boot Trophy. Colorado and Utah are the two states most associated with the ski industry...Get Vail Resorts to sponsor the game (they own ski areas in CO and UT...as well as Tahoe).

Unique and sensible/relevant trophy, $$ from the sponsorship, and a win for vail, considering the pac 12 footprint...and RG only has to drive a few miles to have that meeting. (Vail HQ is located next to the Omni Interlocken hotel...) Go Buffs! Beat the Utes

If it's going to be called "The Rumble in the Rockies" it needs to be for a championship belt.

Although personally I would like a trophy with a mountain range replica, one half red and white, the other black and gold. call if the continental divide trophy. the winner gets to put their colors forward in their trophy case and all their winning scores will be engraved below

We need to do those cheesy things that get media attention with interest stories.

- Trophy (I think I suggested the "CoUt Boot" - pronounced so it rhymes & either a hiking or ski boot design)
- Annual bet between state governors

Make it happen. The respective CU & UU marketing/PR folks should be all over this. And, frankly, both fan bases need something to be built to fill the void of rivalries that we've left behind or are trying to move past.

If it's going to be called "The Rumble in the Rockies" it needs to be for a championship belt.

Although personally I would like a trophy with a mountain range replica, one half red and white, the other black and gold. call if the continental divide trophy. the winner gets to put their colors forward in their trophy case and all their winning scores will be engraved below
I like this. "rumble in the rockies" could refer to an avalanche -- trying to imagine what a trophy with an image of an avalanche would look like.

@tante wins this thread though.

I actually favor BP's solution, but neverless have a trophy idea: moving parts that when rotated either represents a buffalo trampling a Ute or a Ute spearing a buffalo. This only works if it's a true history of their (not the schools') relationship, of which I have no clue.

We need to do those cheesy things that get media attention with interest stories.

- Trophy (I think I suggested the "CoUt Boot" - pronounced so it rhymes & either a hiking or ski boot design)

Make it happen. The respective CU & UU marketing/PR folks should be all over this. And, frankly, both fan bases need something to be built to fill the void of rivalries that we've left behind or are trying to move past.
I'd rule out a boot (see lammies/WYO), how about goggles? The losing team has to wear them in next year's game.

Alferd Packers Boot

There really is only one appropriate trophy out there for two mountain schools to fight over...
enhanced-buzz-17167-1327269509-20.jpg
With the advancement of LED technology, something like that could be done really cool. Put a switch on it that changes the color of the light. Red, Yellow, and White (set prior to kickoff).

IIRC, in the show, Mike O'Malley would call the trophy "a Glowing Piece of our Radical Rock"...

This could easily be modified to "Glowing Piece of the Radical Rockies" and I like Shldr2Shldr's idea of having it light up different colors depending on the status of the trophy and who possesses it at the time...

I like it - except for the "CoUt" Boot part. Too many pun opportunities.

Looking into what it would take to make a piece of aggro crag with changing lights, it would be pretty simple. Maybe $100, due to the cost of plexi glass.

Back