What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v UConn - NCAA Tourney - Official Thread - Thursday 11.30am

Status
Not open for further replies.
This argument is stale. If you're okay with being just a step above mediocre then that's great. Lack of past success should not be a barometer for a coach. We have new facilities, new AD and it's time to make the change. But we won't. We will be flirting with the bottom of the PAC 12 next year when we lose Scott.

You think coaches are going to be falling all over themselves to come here after firing Tad Boyle? Based on what?

This argument is stale. If you're okay with being just a step above mediocre then that's great. Lack of past success should not be a barometer for a coach. We have new facilities, new AD and it's time to make the change. But we won't. We will be flirting with the bottom of the PAC 12 next year when we lose Scott.

CU as a program has 22 tournament wins, Boyle has 11 of them.
CU as a program has only managed to win 22 games once before in the regular season, Boyle matched it this year.
CU was a 2nd round loser in the CBI last year, this year an 8 seed in the big dance.
CU has gone to the dance 4 out of the past 5 years. With his first year being very deserving of a bid.

This stretch of success is the best era of CU Basketball. Ever. Need to realize that and enjoy the ride.

Also, as has been stated around here before, CU will be just fine without Scott. The offense will adapt. We have some big time players coming in/returning next year.

4 NCAA tournament appearances is time to make a change? We had 2 in the previous 40 years

Reactions: SBG
We were looking at a borderline NIT berth before this season and we have people saying Tad should be fire because he can't win a game in the tournament. Incredible how quickly CU fans have become so spoiled.

I agree with your overall point, but I do not think we were a borderline NIT team. We were an NCAA team, and Tad isn't above criticism (not saying you're saying that). I love Tad, but I thought he could have put in Fletch to help on D more...Talton just isn't tall enough to scare a shooter when trying to close out.

Doesn't matter. Kansas would have embarrassed CU, and will do that to UConn as well.

**** kansas, and NO...we would have given KU a decent game, and I fully expect UConn to give them a decent game to. The ultimate result may still be a KU victory, but we would not have gotten embarrassed.

Either you're drunk, overly entitled and spoiled, or just plain stupid. Let's hope for the first option... ...I'm psst about our loss, because we had the game until a terrible minute that changed the whole game. Let's not overstate what Tad walked into, and then overly degrade next year's potential...

Congrats UConn, good game.

Having said that; collier is absolutely terrible, King disappears in big games, and J40, Tad, and Wes are the only ones who should be holding their heads high after this one.

I agree with your overall point, but I do not think we were a borderline NIT team. We were an NCAA team, and Tad isn't above criticism (not saying you're saying that). I love Tad, but I thought he could have put in Fletch to help on D more...Talton just isn't tall enough to scare a shooter when trying to close out.

Tad deserves criticism no doubt. He needs to learn some things about game management still, and needs to be more involved in substitution patterns. My point about the NIT was that expectations were very very low this year. Picked 7th in the Pac-12, coming off a CBI loss, most were expecting NIT at least around here.

**** kansas, and NO...we would have given KU a decent game, and I fully expect UConn to give them a decent game to. The ultimate result may still be a KU victory, but we would not have gotten embarrassed.

Either you're drunk, overly entitled and spoiled, or just plain stupid. Let's hope for the first option... ...I'm psst about our loss, because we had the game until a terrible minute that changed the whole game. Let's not overstate what Tad walked into, and then overly degrade next year's potential...
Yeah, I'll stick with Tad.

I thought this was likely an 18-19 regular season win team, likely with a high NIT seed. Mainly because I did not expect GK to be quite so drastically improved. That said, it was evident early on that this was an NCAA Tournament caliber squad. One that could have been a 6 seed and won a game or two in the Dance. It's hard to reach your absolute highest potential, but this season will be a "what could have been". These blown leads sting and we've got to put a stop to this. It's the type of thing that happens on rare occasion. Not something you make a habit out of against every tournament caliber opponent. I expect XJ and Derek to put an end to this infuriating trait.

I feel like some people on this board really overrate the importance of in-game coaching in basketball.

So, the season finished 2 days sooner than it probably should have. I can live with that. This time. But we can't be going into the NCAA tournament as an 8 or 9 seed. If we'd have taken care of business at USC and Utah, we'd have been a 6 or 7 seed. And that's what we need to be. A 6 or better seed. I know we will be dismissed next year after losing Josh Scott. But I think we can be better next year than we were this year. Time will tell.

I thought this was likely an 18-19 regular season win team, likely with a high NIT seed. Mainly because I did not expect GK to be quite so drastically improved. That said, it was evident early on that this was an NCAA Tournament caliber squad. One that could have been a 6 seed and won a game or two in the Dance. It's hard to reach your absolute highest potential, but this season will be a "what could have been". These blown leads sting and we've got to put a stop to this. It's the type of thing that happens on rare occasion. Not something you make a habit out of against every tournament caliber opponent. I expect XJ and Derek to put an end to this infuriating trait.
SIAP, but speaking of GK, where was he today?

CUs biggest bball thing to do in the offseason is to not fire Tad, it to name our court after the great Frosty Cox.

Let's keep this simple. We lost because of guard play. We do not have an elite point guard. No point guard = no ability to feed others under pressure + no ability to accelerate the attack + too many turnovers. Everyone else presses and plays tight. Watch the tourney and show me an elite team that doesn't have better talent at the point than CU.

It isn't personal. These are college kids, after all. We just need better talent at the point.

Pissed about giving away another game. Thrilled for the recent history of the program. Optimistic about the future. Now, time for a pint.

So, the season finished 2 days sooner than it probably should have. I can live with that. This time. But we can't be going into the NCAA tournament as an 8 or 9 seed. If we'd have taken care of business at USC and Utah, we'd have been a 6 or 7 seed. And that's what we need to be. A 6 or better seed. I know we will be dismissed next year after losing Josh Scott. But I think we can be better next year than we were this year. Time will tell.

I expect to be in the Dance again next year, and I think we have a great shot at this being our best team yet. Of course we seemingly can't have nice things, but the potential is absolutely there. Our guards and depth are going to take a huge step forward + XJ is going to be an animal. If Wes and Tory improve moderately we'll be in great shape

Well I gotta say, if nothing else, this team is consistent. There was nothing that happened this game that did not surprise me. Clearly, we felt good at the half, but we all knew this team could easily give away the game. And we did.

It started with the collier/fortune multiple turnovers around the 13:00 mark. Turned the game from a 9 point game to a 2 point game in less than a minute. Then extremely poor guard play and typical turnovers by Fortune led us to the loss. Perhaps the one curveball was our FT shooting. Josh Scott was terrible from there.

But again, none of what happened today was surprising. Frustrating? Of course. But not surprising. Hey, at least we made the tournament. It was a wild ride this season.

Perhaps for me, the most frustrating aspect of this game was George King's unwillingness to take control of this game. I have no doubt he is the most athletically gifted player on our team, yet I imagine he shot maybe 6-8 shots today. Our most talented player NEEDS to shoot more. While Collier and our Belgian played how they normally play, George needed to take control on offense, but he shied away. I feel that he was always on the cusp of dominance this year, but he deferred to others when he had the chance to take control.

So despite Fortune and Collier's typical turnovers (you know, **** I've come to expect over the course of 5 months), George's lack of aggression is what disappointed me the most.

Oh and Tad once again showed me little to change my mind that he's not a good gameday coach.

Anyway, on to the next season!

We were bad at the things we are good at. In the NCAA tournament, you need to do the things you are good at well.

I thought we were NIT at best earlier in the year. Nice to exceed that expectation, but I am disappointed with one-and-done in the tournament. Tad's success has raised expectations for me. I expect more from him.

PS In no way am I calling for him to be fired, just pointing out it is okay to have expectations, even at lowly CU.

I thought we were NIT at best earlier in the year. Nice to exceed that expectation, but I am disappointed with one-and-done in the tournament. Tad's success has raised expectations for me. I expect more from him.

PS In no way am I calling for him to be fired, just pointing out it is okay to have expectations, even at lowly CU.

Expectations are fine. Don't think anyone has said that you can't have them. Folks need to have a little bit of perspective though.

Let's keep this simple. We lost because of guard play. We do not have an elite point guard. No point guard = no ability to feed others under pressure + no ability to accelerate the attack + too many turnovers. Everyone else presses and plays tight. Watch the tourney and show me an elite team that doesn't have better talent at the point than CU.

It isn't personal. These are college kids, after all. We just need better talent at the point.

Pissed about giving away another game. Thrilled for the recent history of the program. Optimistic about the future. Now, time for a pint.

this

Congrats UConn, good game.

Having said that; collier is absolutely terrible, King disappears in big games, and J40, Tad, and Wes are the only ones who should be holding their heads high after this one.
Not to be disagreeable, certainly not downgrading Tad, but if I were the coach in a game like this I wouldn't say I was proud of my coaching job...even if it was largely failure on the part of my players.

The team was steadier with Talton at point than Dom.

You cannot say this enough. In the second half when UCONN really got tough on D and made a run we needed a PG who could settle things down and get us into some semblance of an offense. Dom was in at this time and we looked ragged and lost out there. I was never a big fan of XT, but the team looked better/looser when he was on vs TA and Dom. Tad stated in an offseason luncheon last season that Dom had THIS season to prove he was worthy of being the PG and getting significant minutes. He didn't do it. The job should be wide open from tomorrow on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back