What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Auto-Bid & Bubble Watch

Clear message that you don't get in by relying on the huge NET bump you'll get from losing to teams in a great conference if you also don't schedule tough in the non-con. Only way you get away with a mediocre non-con is if you actually beat those Quad 1 teams in your own conference.

St. John's didn't play much of a non-con schedule other than VCU which they won in OT and that game was in Barclays, so essentially a home game. And yea they ended up with 5 Quad 1 wins but nobody in the Big East is ranked real high. ASU played KU, Nevada, Utah State and Mississippi State while NC State played Wisconsin, Auburn, and Penn State. Advantage to ASU there since they went 3-1 in those games.

I realize it's splitting hairs when it comes down these last few bubble teams but the difference in conference schedules and NET rankings should have offset things in NC State's favor.

Lot of Indiana fans taking to Twitter to bitch. Many pointing to St. Johns inclusion.

Thing is, St. Johns is better than Indiana. Have been better all year. One watch of both teams makes that clear. Also, no team that has a 1-12 stretch should have a ranking that high in any respectable analytic.

The fact they were in the first 4 out is absurd. Maybe like the 4th set of 4 out. We are better than Indiana.
Indiana is straight trash. You're right, we'd beat Indiana. Texas is 100% false as well.

On another note, does anyone consistently get better treatment from the committee than KU and UNC? KU is a 4-seed and potentially gets to play in Kansas City if they can win 2 games. And UNC somehow still gets a 1 seed despite losing a neutral site game to Texas and both of their wins over Duke were when Zion was out.

Next year we have to take care of business in the OOC. I’m assuming we’ll play pretty lame competition again, so this time when we play someone like Nebraska Omaha we need to beat them by more than 4 points. Minnesota beat them by 28. Iowa St by 27. Even Oregon beat them by 23. It’s simple math. No more of this playing down to the competition. None of those other teams did that, and they’re all in the NCAA tourney now.

St. John's didn't play much of a non-con schedule other than VCU which they won in OT and that game was in Barclays, so essentially a home game. And yea they ended up with 5 Quad 1 wins but nobody in the Big East is ranked real high. ASU played KU, Nevada, Utah State and Mississippi State while NC State played Wisconsin, Auburn, and Penn State. Advantage to ASU there since they went 3-1 in those games.

I realize it's splitting hairs when it comes down these last few bubble teams but the difference in conference schedules and NET rankings should have offset things in NC State's favor.
Eye test. St. Johns is better than Indiana and Texas. Better players.

Great chance for our young players to develop some tournament experience and gain some confidence for our NCAA berth next year.

Thank goodness it starts at home because we are obviously much better at home and it could start a nice run!
Go Buffs, glad they get to play more games, I bet Gatling can not wait to play again, so he can get those tears out.

Of NOTE:

NIT rule modifications

The NIT continues to experiment with rules in its tournament. Some changes in the NIT have eventually seeped its way into the mainstream of college basketball, such as the 30-second shot clock and four-foot restricted-area arc.
The NCAA playing rules process operates on two-year cycles, rule changes can be approved this May, and could be in effect for next season. There will be four rule modifications for the 2019 tournament:
  • The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).
  • The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
  • Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.

Of NOTE:

NIT rule modifications

The NIT continues to experiment with rules in its tournament. Some changes in the NIT have eventually seeped its way into the mainstream of college basketball, such as the 30-second shot clock and four-foot restricted-area arc.
The NCAA playing rules process operates on two-year cycles, rule changes can be approved this May, and could be in effect for next season. There will be four rule modifications for the 2019 tournament:
  • The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).
  • The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
  • Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.
I think the rules favor us with the 3pt line. Anything that might hurt the 3p% of opponents helps us. And the 1 guy who can go off for us, Gatling, is a streak shooter so it doesn't matter for him -- if he's on or off, there's no difference on him hitting whether he's launching from 20 or 22.

I think the wider lane may be a negative for us. We don't give deep post up position when Battey is in (and Lucas has gotten much better in this area, too). But it may make harder for Battey to post up so close. Hopefully it opens up more space for Bey to operate around the basket, though.

Frankly, I don't really understand the foul system. I like the elimination of the 1-and-1s, but the rest seems like too much math as we try to call fouls like we're playing quarters without moving away from the 2 halves format. So it re-sets in the middle of the 3rd game segment of each half? Weird.

I think the rules favor us with the 3pt line. Anything that might hurt the 3p% of opponents helps us. And the 1 guy who can go off for us, Gatling, is a streak shooter so it doesn't matter for him -- if he's on or off, there's no difference on him hitting whether he's launching from 20 or 22.

I think the wider lane may be a negative for us. We don't give deep post up position when Battey is in (and Lucas has gotten much better in this area, too). But it may make harder for Battey to post up so close. Hopefully it opens up more space for Bey to operate around the basket, though.

Frankly, I don't really understand the foul system. I like the elimination of the 1-and-1s, but the rest seems like too much math as we try to call fouls like we're playing quarters without moving away from the 2 halves format. So it re-sets in the middle of the 3rd game segment of each half? Weird.
I think they did quarters last year, which makes way more sense to me as well; I guess that's the nice thing about trying this out for 31 games before implementation.

Maybe there's a desire to keep the segments/TV timeouts the same, which would be altered with quarters. Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing 1 and 1s eliminated.

The lane is really interesting, and I'm excited to see what it does for Bey.

The 3 point line needs to be moved out. I hope it happens next year, I hope that we have 5 games under our belt getting used to it.

Back