What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference-by-conference hot seat breakdown

He needs to make the postseason. If he doesn't do that this year, he needs to go.
That’s a very nice declarative statement. I don’t think RG shares that opinion. And since it’s his opinion that really matters...

Which I simply don't understand. He took a team that was absolute garbage and in three years had us ranked in the top 10 and in the Pac 12 title game. On top of that he seems to do it the right way and truly cares about the young men on his team.

Having said that, if the team misses a bowl this season and RG decides to replace him, I'm ok with that. But he has earned the right to see how this year plays out.
I think you might be confusing progress for success.

6, 6, 6, 1, 6

That’s a very nice declarative statement. I don’t think RG shares that opinion. And since it’s his opinion that really matters...

I think he does. If he misses a bowl, that will be five of six years with no postseason and two of the last three. 2016 would look like a total fluke if that happens.

Serious question. What is next level?

For me, it is 5 conference wins in year 6.
The next level for me is having a 2016 regular season more often than not, and that doesn't mean always making the CCG or winning 10 games every year. It just means consistently winning road games, handily beating lesser opponents, winning big moment conference games, being a fringe top 25 team year in, year out, winning 8+ games as a standard, and being competitive against (and even beating) the conference elite. Of course, none of this is likely to be achieved until the OL/DL recruiting sees substantial improvement, so that's the other part of "next level".

I think it is actually 50-50 RG shares that sentiment. He only has so much patience.
None of us really know what RG thinks, so the discussion is lately academic. I believe you that he only has so much patience. I also think he sees progress, though. As long as he sees progress, MM is safe. I don’t know where he draws the line, though.

None of us really know what RG thinks, so the discussion is lately academic. I believe you that he only has so much patience. I also think he sees progress, though. As long as he sees progress, MM is safe. I don’t know where he draws the line, though.
What is your point again?

If he were to keep MM after a second straight 5-7 season, I would think the expectations in 2019 would be pretty high. Basically, 5-7 in 2018 really does put MM on the hot seat, just may not get him fired.

If he were to keep MM after a second straight 5-7 season, I would think the expectations in 2019 would be pretty high. Basically, 5-7 in 2018 really does put MM on the hot seat, just may not get him fired.
I think that’s valid. Last years 5-7 was pretty close to 7-5 or even 8-4, though. Not making excuses, because the record is what it is. Still, a couple bounces go our way last year and the narrative is very different now. Also, while it’s taken longer than any of us would like, he has upgraded his assistants pretty significantly. I tend to think RG wants to give MM plenty of rope to see what he can do now that he has a solid staff.
I’ll qualify that statement again by stating this is just my opinion. I really don’t know what RG’s thoughts are.

Also- 5-7 with wins against CSU and Nebraska will keep him here. A lot will depend on where those 5 wins come from if that ends up being the final record.

I think that failing to make a bowl game in your 5th and 6th seasons would be very justifiable grounds for changing head coaches.

I also think that pulling the program out of the toilet and winning the South in his 4th and 6th seasons would be very justifiable grounds for giving another extension with a large pay raise.

I think that’s valid. Last years 5-7 was pretty close to 7-5 or even 8-4, though. Not making excuses, because the record is what it is. Still, a couple bounces go our way last year and the narrative is very different now. Also, while it’s taken longer than any of us would like, he has upgraded his assistants pretty significantly. I tend to think RG wants to give MM plenty of rope to see what he can do now that he has a solid staff.
I’ll qualify that statement again by stating this is just my opinion. I really don’t know what RG’s thoughts are.

Also- 5-7 with wins against CSU and Nebraska will keep him here. A lot will depend on where those 5 wins come from if that ends up being the final record.

5-7 with wins over Nebraska and a win or two on the road in conference. A win over CSU gets MM nothing IMO. Let's stop talking about just beating CSU-the expectations around here should be that that game is an ass-whooping. Not a loss. Not a close win. A blowout. There's no ****ing way a middle of the pack G5 (Yeah, I'd define 7-6 in the MWC three years in a row as exactly that) like them should be able to hang with us this year. We destroyed them two years ago, and they couldn't score a TD against what was one of the worst defenses in the sport last year with a QB who got a cup of coffee with the Broncos and one of the best receivers in the draft and much more depth offensively (especially up front) than they've got this year.

5-7 with wins over Nebraska and a win or two on the road in conference. A win over CSU gets MM nothing IMO. Let's stop talking about just beating CSU-the expectations around here should be that that game is an ass-whooping. Not a loss. Not a close win. A blowout. There's no ****ing way a middle of the pack G5 (Yeah, I'd define 7-6 in the MWC three years in a row as exactly that) like them should be able to hang with us this year. We destroyed them two years ago, and they couldn't score a TD against what was one of the worst defenses in the sport last year with a QB who got a cup of coffee with the Broncos and one of the best receivers in the draft and much more depth offensively (especially up front) than they've got this year.
I’m not saying beating CSU or Nebraska is some great accomplishment. I’m merely pointing out that winning those two games will buy MM a lot more rope.

My expectation is to comfortably qualify for a bowl and not do so on the skin of your teeth.

I’m not saying beating CSU or Nebraska is some great accomplishment. I’m merely pointing out that winning those two games will buy MM a lot more rope.

If RG thinks the way we all think he does, a win over CSU won't do much.

Back