What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference-by-conference hot seat breakdown

Jens1893

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
PAC-12

Hot seat – Only one job is in any danger here, as only five jobs have established coaches – Washington, Washington State, Stanford, Colorado and Utah.

Colorado – Mike MacIntyre was the national coach of the year two years ago. But four losing seasons in his five years have taken some of the glow off that. It would cost just under $10 million to fire him, which is a lot for any Pac-12 school considering how far the league has fallen behind in revenue. MacIntyre and the school’s handling of Joe Tumpkin’s alleged domestic violence incident still lingers and has been brought back up amid the allegations against former Ohio State assistant Zach Smith. Could athletic director Rick George use a quiet market to make a splash?

Worth monitoring– USC extended Clay Helton through 2023 this offseason, and he’s coming off a Pac-12 title. While he’s not in trouble by any conceivable metric, the fit with athletic director Lynn Swann still feels like an awkward clash of personalities.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...tential-hirings-firings-season-000008676.html

PAC-12

Hot seat – Only one job is in any danger here, as only five jobs have established coaches – Washington, Washington State, Stanford, Colorado and Utah.

Colorado – Mike MacIntyre was the national coach of the year two years ago. But four losing seasons in his five years have taken some of the glow off that. It would cost just under $10 million to fire him, which is a lot for any Pac-12 school considering how far the league has fallen behind in revenue. MacIntyre and the school’s handling of Joe Tumpkin’s alleged domestic violence incident still lingers and has been brought back up amid the allegations against former Ohio State assistant Zach Smith. Could athletic director Rick George use a quiet market to make a splash?

Worth monitoring– USC extended Clay Helton through 2023 this offseason, and he’s coming off a Pac-12 title. While he’s not in trouble by any conceivable metric, the fit with athletic director Lynn Swann still feels like an awkward clash of personalities.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...tential-hirings-firings-season-000008676.html

Also a new president coming in soon at USC. If USC struggles this season (entirely possible by their standards considering the QB situation) a change at HC could be made. Or at AD, for that matter.

I think that if we miss a bowl game, he has to go!!! It is not because of technical logic, but because he actually cannot take the program to the next level and no coach deserves to be Coach of the Year and have 4 losing seasons the rest of the time. Science says that it was an anomaly and there were other factors such as really damn good players and a fantastic Defensive Coordinator. Now, I do not think we will miss a bowl game and I feel we win 8 games, so he is likely safe, but IF for whatever reason he struggles, we have to move on. No emotion, just facts.

I think that if we miss a bowl game, he has to go!!! It is not because of technical logic, but because he actually cannot take the program to the next level and no coach deserves to be Coach of the Year and have 4 losing seasons the rest of the time. Science says that it was an anomaly and there were other factors such as really damn good players and a fantastic Defensive Coordinator. Now, I do not think we will miss a bowl game and I feel we win 8 games, so he is likely safe, but IF for whatever reason he struggles, we have to move on. No emotion, just facts.

I'm hoping he moves on after 2018.

I'll agree with this.

This article is more evidence that another missed postseason this year is cause to move on from MM. We can take K-State off that list for now-I don't think Darth will retire until he knows his son will be his successor. Nobody is taking the Kansas job without a long term deal and a massive buyout.....even as highly as Jeff Long might be thought of in college athletics. Texas Tech is a lot like a service academy-they'll go with a dude who they know will run their air raid offense if they have to make a move. The only job on that list that is better than this one is LSU. If we struggle and RG feels change is necessary, he'll get a solid coach.

Tipping point season for MM.

If he fails to make a bowl game, the narrative is that 2016 was a total outlier and he has to go.

If he wins 9 games, the narrative is that he's averaging 8 wins a year over the last 3 seasons after starting with 3 rebuilding years.

Where it gets fuzzy is at 7-6 or 6-7 -- making a minor bowl at 7-5 and losing it or barely reaching one no matter the result. Even at 8-4 and then someone offering him a job at more money to leave gets fuzzy as to whether we'd be super motivated in the fight to keep him (at 7-5 I don't think we'd fight hard at all).

Tipping point season for MM.

If he fails to make a bowl game, the narrative is that 2016 was a total outlier and he has to go.

If he wins 9 games, the narrative is that he's averaging 8 wins a year over the last 3 seasons after starting with 3 rebuilding years.

Where it gets fuzzy is at 7-6 or 6-7 -- making a minor bowl at 7-5 and losing it or barely reaching one no matter the result. Even at 8-4 and then someone offering him a job at more money to leave gets fuzzy as to whether we'd be super motivated in the fight to keep him (at 7-5 I don't think we'd fight hard at all).

6-6 or better and he stays IMO

It appears Buff fans want MM replaced.
Soon we'll all find out if Nebraska can do its part with that.

MM's seat heats up a little if CU is 2-2 going into the game with ASU. 2-3 would be a disaster. Best not speak much of that scenario just yet.

Last edited:
Soon we'll all find out if Nebraska can do it's part with that.

MM's seat heats up a little if CU is 2-2 going into the game with ASU. 2-3 would be a disaster. Best not speak much of that scenario just yet.
The icing on the cake would be MM beating the nubs AND getting replaced after this season. He’s a really nice guy but is sub par at winning football games. I can’t understand why some folks would want to keep someone who could potentially have 5 out of 6 losing seasons.

Soon we'll all find out if Nebraska can do it's part with that.

You mean its? Or do they not teach basic grammar in Nebraska?

Best hope is we make a bowl game and he leaves on his own. We start fresh with RG's guy

Lol I don't think the entire country understands the magnitude of the rebuilding project he's undertaken

The project is bigger than it looks.

Nebraska fans and many long time college football fans have a different perception of the program than recruits do.

Similar to the situation in Boulder to put it simply Nebraska is no longer relevant to recruits. The last time they were in the national championship conversation the kids they are recruiting weren't born yet. The last time they were regularly ranked in the top 25 these kids were in elementary school.

Nebraska was able to recruit because they could offer top kids a promise of a program that would put them in the NFL draft, facilities and football support that was ahead of everyone else, and a lot of national exposure because they would be winning big.

None of those advantages still apply. Now a lot of programs have great facilities, a lot of programs have great support, and a lot of programs are winning a lot more games and putting more kids in the pros. Where does that leave Frost?

Nebraska fans expect that Frost is going to quickly bring them back to the glory days. The talent isn't there and isn't interested in coming. Nebraska my try to recruit 4* and 5* kids but the kids I am seeing them get for the most part do not have offers from Michigan, tOSU, USC, etc. Instead they are beating Iowa State, Oregon State, and Texas Tech. Not a level of talent that is going to put them back into the top 25 soon.

As we have seen in Boulder turning this around isn't easy. They can go give the "be part of something special" pitch to top recruits but every time they go out and lose to Wisconsin and Iowa by multiple TDs, every time they are either in some minor bowl or no bowl, the perception of an also ran keeps kids away.

Unlike a lot of schools they can't even offer other factors to help balance. They don't have a great climate, beaches, mountains, a cool college town, etc. They have Lincoln.

I think Frost is actually a very good coach. In the end I don't think is going to matter. Nebraska will get a bump but as a program their ceiling is still below the elite in their conference. That is something that some of their boosters will never adjust to and in the end those unrealistic expectations will result in continued turnover in coaching.

It's best case scenario if you've already made up your mind about MM not being the guy to get CU to the next level.
Which I simply don't understand. He took a team that was absolute garbage and in three years had us ranked in the top 10 and in the Pac 12 title game. On top of that he seems to do it the right way and truly cares about the young men on his team.

Having said that, if the team misses a bowl this season and RG decides to replace him, I'm ok with that. But he has earned the right to see how this year plays out.

Which I simply don't understand. He took a team that was absolute garbage and in three years had us ranked in the top 10 and in the Pac 12 title game. On top of that he seems to do it the right way and truly cares about the young men on his team.

Having said that, if the team misses a bowl this season and RG decides to replace him, I'm ok with that. But he has earned the right to see how this year plays out.
Right. This season is going to show a lot about him as a coach. Was 2016 the fluke or was it 2017? Also, to truly get CU to the next level, where they are competitive in the Pac 12 Championship Game and show well against another top 10 program in a bowl game, they will need to recruit better at all positions, but most importantly on the OL and DL, which doesn't seem to be happening.

The first 5 games will tell us a lot, IMO.

I really don’t think his seat is hot at all. All this talk about this being a critical year is wishful thinking. I think next year is the critical year. Barring a colossal implosion or off-field scandal of some kind, he will be the coach in 2019.

I really don’t think his seat is hot at all. All this talk about this being a critical year is wishful thinking. I think next year is the critical year. Barring a colossal implosion or off-field scandal of some kind, he will be the coach in 2019.

He needs to make the postseason. If he doesn't do that this year, he needs to go.

Back