What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Tournaments Thread

We've got teams that won both their regular season and tourney titles in major conferences.

Kansas
North Carolina
Oregon

To me, those should be lock #1 seeds.

For the 4th #1, I go with Michigan State if they win the B1G tourney tomorrow. Discount that rough patch when Valentine was injured and it's very easy to put them on the top line as B1G champs with only 5 losses (3 in the stretch without a healthy Valentine and the other 2 at Iowa and at Purdue).

We've got teams that won both their regular season and tourney titles in major conferences.

Kansas
North Carolina
Oregon

To me, those should be lock #1 seeds.

For the 4th #1, I go with Michigan State if they win the B1G tourney tomorrow. Discount that rough patch when Valentine was injured and it's very easy to put them on the top line as B1G champs with only 5 losses (3 in the stretch without a healthy Valentine and the other 2 at Iowa and at Purdue).

Nik-UVA as the fourth #1 if MSU loses?

Nik-UVA as the fourth #1 if MSU loses?

Probably. Would have to be them or Villanova and UVA beat them head-to-head. Oklahoma would have had a good argument, but they needed to beat WVU and get to the Big 12 final.

Here's my guess on what the committee will do:

Midwest 1 - Kansas
East 1 - North Carolina
West 1 - Virginia
South 1 - Michigan State

That puts KU in Des Moines, North Carolina in Brooklyn, Virginia in Raleigh, and Michigan State in St. Louis.

For the 2 seeds, they can reward some squads by location.

Oregon as the West 2 puts them in Spokane (might actually work better for them than a 1 seed). Oklahoma as the East 2 puts them in Oklahoma City. Villanova as the South 2 puts them in Brooklyn. And then Xavier might get that Midwest 2 in St. Louis (possibly Kentucky for that spot if they beat Texas A&M tomorrow).

Last edited:
They needed this win. You just can't put in a team with no top 50 wins. It'll be interesting to see what they do. Florida sits 55, Vandy 62, Georgia 63, SC 64. Not much to separate....Gamecocks lost to Georgia 3x, can you put them in? Vandy was right on the bubble then took that horrible loss to the Vols. Florida may have the best case of the bunch despite being 19-14. Better RPI and OOC wins over West Virginia and St. Joes, but combined. 0-3 against Vandy and South Carolina. Yuck.

Its refreshing to witness the myth of SEC superiority falling completely apart. ESPN's best efforts to squeeze as many dollars as possible from their preferred collegiate investment property looks extra silly in men's basketball.

Looking at various bracketologist sites, everyone seems to have CU as a 7 or an 8 seed.

Here's how some of the main national guys see it:

Joe Lunardi (ESPN): West 8 playing Butler in St. Louis for the right to play Michigan State
Jerry Palm (CBS): South 7 playing Gonzaga in Oklahoma City for the right to play Oklahoma
Brad Evans (Yahoo): final 8 seed
Shelby Mast (USA Today): East 7 playing Pittsburgh in New York for the right to play West Virginia
Stewart Mandel (Fox): Midwest 8 playing Cincinnati in Des Moines for the right to play Kansas
Dave Ommen (NBC): South 7 playing playing Gonzaga in Oklahoma City for the right to play Oklahoma

The Fightin' Phil Martellis of St. Joe's with an impressive win over VCU to win the A-10.

(Moves CU ahead of VCU in RPI, which is nice. Not sure there's much change to seeding based on today, though.)

Looking at various bracketologist sites, everyone seems to have CU as a 7 or an 8 seed.

Here's how some of the main national guys see it:

Joe Lunardi (ESPN): West 8 playing Butler in St. Louis for the right to play Michigan State
Jerry Palm (CBS): South 7 playing Gonzaga in Oklahoma City for the right to play Oklahoma
Brad Evans (Yahoo): final 8 seed
Shelby Mast (USA Today): East 7 playing Pittsburgh in New York for the right to play West Virginia
Stewart Mandel (Fox): Midwest 8 playing Cincinnati in Des Moines for the right to play Kansas
Dave Ommen (NBC): South 7 playing playing Gonzaga in Oklahoma City for the right to play Oklahoma

Yesterday, Lunardi moved us down to an 8 when he moved VCU up to a 7. Today's result would move CU back into the 7 game in his bracket prediction. (VCU was the East 7 playing Pittsburgh in NYC for the right to play Villanova.)

For an SEC game that is probably meaningless, this KY-aTm game is ridiculously good.

Totally meaningless for CU. Equal factors to CU's RPI since both teams played 3 CU opponents this year.

I'd assume that it could impact seeding from the committee. Kentucky could be a 3 or even a 2 with the win, but aTm isn't going to go that high (probably a 4 seed lock).

I cannot believe Nova is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the big east. That used to be their entire offense.

What about Xavier? Idk how they shoot 3s but damn something is missing there it seems like. They lose to teams they shouldn't at times.

What about Xavier? Idk how they shoot 3s but damn something is missing there it seems like. They lose to teams they shouldn't at times.

Their stock has fallen a bit over the last two weeks, but face them at your own peril. Few programs have more of a knack for March than Xavier

Their stock has fallen a bit over the last two weeks, but face them at your own peril. Few programs have more of a knack for March than Xavier
Yeah ur probably right, I've only seen them once this year so maybe they just had a bad game. To me there is no dominant team this year, the brackets are gonna be a mess I'm thinking.

Reasoning?

Is there any team that has more of a knack for being under seeded and getting hot at the right time other than maybe Michigan State? UConn could make a Final Four. I'm a firm believer that program pedigree matters...I'd rather not face a team two years removed from winning a national title as a 7 seed. They've got talent and depth beyond what we'd encounter with virtually any other possible first round opponent.

Is there any team that has more of a knack for being under seeded and getting hot at the right time other than maybe Michigan State? UConn could make a Final Four. I'm a firm believer that program pedigree matters...I'd rather not face a team two years removed from winning a national title as a 7 seed. They've got talent and depth beyond what we'd encounter with virtually any other possible first round opponent.
Good to know. Surprisingly I haven't seen a game of theirs yet this year.

Good to know. Surprisingly I haven't seen a game of theirs yet this year.

They were pretty "meh" for most of this season, but talent was never the issue. Here they are tearing through their conference tournament despite playing 4OT in their first game. I obviously don't think they'll win the national title again, but I absolutely do think it can make a difference playing a team making their first appearance in a while and "happy to be there" (like St. Bonaventure) versus a program with expectations to make a run

Two years ago UConn ended a disappointing regular season by losing to Louisville by 33, then got hot in the conference tournament and the rest was history

They were pretty "meh" for most of this season, but talent was never the issue. Here they are tearing through their conference tournament despite playing 4OT in their first game. I obviously don't think they'll win the national title again, but I absolutely do think it can make a difference playing a team making their first appearance in a while and "happy to be there" (like St. Bonaventure) versus a program with expectations to make a run

Two years ago UConn ended a disappointing regular season by losing to Louisville by 33, then got hot in the conference tournament and the rest was history
Yea and Colorado has struggled against team with talent and athleticism this year no matter how "good" of a team they were.

Back