What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conspiracy theory #1

Right, Beebe would screw a team that would still bring revenue to his own conference. :rolling_eyes:

This is Dan Beebe we're talking about. OF COURSE HE WOULD SCREW CU. Honestly, can you come up with a better explanation? I sure as hell can't. There are at least six teams that are in the tournament as at-large bids that are demonstrably worse than CU. Probably more.

Dan Beebe may not have had to necessarily pitch against us. But I can guarantee he didn't push for us. The whole conference has hated us this whole season. It makes sense.

Right, Beebe would screw a team that would still bring revenue to his own conference. :rolling_eyes:
Yes he would. No doubt. But I don't think its about Beebe. Its the NCAA and their perception of CU and Mike Bohn's inability to change the perception. The NCAA is down on CU for a ton of reasons. They are.

One of the weird things is that the committee didn't think much of the Big 12 in general. Every team except KSU was seeded lower than I would have expected (the kittens were a line or two higher than they deserved, imo).

One of the weird things is that the committee didn't think much of the Big 12 in general. Every team except KSU was seeded lower than I would have expected (the kittens were a line or two higher than they deserved, imo).

:yeahthat:

I would have expected UT to be a #2 or #3, Mizzou to be around #7, KSU around #8. I expected CU to be somewhere in the 10-11 range.

Face it. We were screwed about as big time as any team has ever been screwed. And Mike Bohn has a bit part in it. I really believe that. So ****ing shoot me.

Dan Beebe just sucks at life. He is been overtaken by people smarter and more talented than him.

This much I agree with although there's no good explanation for it. The Big 12 was without a doubt the 3rd-best conference out there, at worst. But I simply don't buy that Beebe would screw a team from the Big 12 because more tournament bids means more money for his conference.

Face it. We were screwed about as big time as any team has ever been screwed. And Mike Bohn has a bit part in it. I really believe that. So ****ing shoot me.

So if we change ADs, we are going to have much more respect from the NCAA? This is laughable.

So if we change ADs, we are going to have much more respect from the NCAA? This is laughable.

Maybe. Maybe not. I just don't like Bohn. If you do, then fine. I think he's a politician. The NCAA committee just bitch slapped him. Enough said.

Some of the ESPN guys like Vitale and Bilas have been pushing for this for a number of years now. And I completely agree.

Billy Packer would give a long speech about this during the Final Four every other year or so. But, Packer's version sounded more like a Politburo of apparatchiks with Billy doubling as Stalin or Khrushchev.

Maybe. Maybe not. I just don't like Bohn. If you do, then fine. I think he's a politician.

Now I'm really confused.

Didn't I just read a bunch of posts from you that said Bohn needs to be fired because he's not a politician?

:wtf:

Maybe. Maybe not. I just don't like Bohn. If you do, then fine. I think he's a politician.

If you are going to dislike him, at least be reasonable with the criticism. Bohn is far from perfect and there are plenty of legitimate criticisms to levy, but to put a large share of the blame on him for what happened today is out there. Way out there.

Also, if you think he is a politician, you must think he is a really ****** politician. You spent the last couple hours trying to convince us all that he got out-worked in politics this time around.

He doesn't politic for us very well. But he is a politican looking out for his own ass.

I knew we were in trouble when Missouri got an 11 seed

Saying Mike Bohn is the problem is dumb....on ESPN Bracketology Gene Smith himself said CU did not get the "needed votes" to get in because of their out of conference schedule...you can say whatever you want....Dan Beebe got some of his boys together and gave CU one final F you before we left for the PAC 12

This much I agree with although there's no good explanation for it. The Big 12 was without a doubt the 3rd-best conference out there, at worst. But I simply don't buy that Beebe would screw a team from the Big 12 because more tournament bids means more money for his conference.

I'm still curious about how any tournament money CU earned with an appearance would have been divided. I know it's paid out over a couple years, and I think the team that gets in gets an extra share. I wonder if a big chunk of the money a CU appearance would have earned the conference would have just come off CU's buyout?

Although the list of committee members wouldn't necessarily suggest it, the decisions are politically driven one way or another.

List of committee members:

Name Position
Gene Smith† Ohio State University Athletic Director
Mike Bobinski Xavier University Athletic Director
Ron Wellman Wake Forest University Athletic Director
Jeff Hathaway University of Connecticut Athletic Director
Lynn Hickey University of Texas at San Antonio Athletic Director
Doug Fullerton Big Sky Conference Commissioner
Scott Barnes Utah State University Athletic Director
Stan Morrison University of California, Riverside Athletic Director
Dan Beebe Big 12 Conference Commissioner
Steve Orsini Southern Methodist University Athletic Director

To say that this committee sets us up for a screw job is an understatement.

You have Beebe who hates CU for standing up to him and leaving the Texas 8 then having the gall to make them look bad by having a good season before leaving. You also get Lynn Hickey from UT San Antonio, try to tell me that the UT Austin athletic department doesn't have "contact" with Hickey and may have mentioned that if CU were to be a tournament team then leave it would be embarrassing. Add Orsini from SMU, again Texas politics and a guy who is going to push for mid-major teams over BCS league schools to boot. Another guy with an agenda would be Ron Wellman who just had to pay the buyout on Jeff Buzdelic that he didn't want to pay. The same Buzz who's team lost over 20 games at a "basketball" school. To have the replacement for Buzz go to the big dance with the team Buzz left while Buzz is losing left and right would be another ugly thing to explain.

It was interesting on the CBS bracket show when Gene Smith was asked about CU. You could tell that he didn't have a legit explanation. He knew that whatever he said was going to sound stupid because the decision was indefensible but the politics made the decision so he was stuck with it.

I'm still curious about how any tournament money CU earned with an appearance would have been divided. I know it's paid out over a couple years, and I think the team that gets in gets an extra share. I wonder if a big chunk of the money a CU appearance would have earned the conference would have just come off CU's buyout?

are we better off financially hosting nit games?

Gene smith's first response why CU didn't get in:

"They didn't have the votes"

And that was the only honest thing he said.

Look at that committee, and find ONE person who would fight for CU. You can't.

To say that this committee sets us up for a screw job is an understatement.

You have Beebe who hates CU for standing up to him and leaving the Texas 8 then having the gall to make them look bad by having a good season before leaving. You also get Lynn Hickey from UT San Antonio, try to tell me that the UT Austin athletic department doesn't have "contact" with Hickey and may have mentioned that if CU were to be a tournament team then leave it would be embarrassing. Add Orsini from SMU, again Texas politics and a guy who is going to push for mid-major teams over BCS league schools to boot. Another guy with an agenda would be Ron Wellman who just had to pay the buyout on Jeff Buzdelic that he didn't want to pay. The same Buzz who's team lost over 20 games at a "basketball" school. To have the replacement for Buzz go to the big dance with the team Buzz left while Buzz is losing left and right would be another ugly thing to explain.

It was interesting on the CBS bracket show when Gene Smith was asked about CU. You could tell that he didn't have a legit explanation. He knew that whatever he said was going to sound stupid because the decision was indefensible but the politics made the decision so he was stuck with it.

A 10 member committee, and 3 of them from Texass schools or conferences basically run from Texass? That doesn't seem quite right.

Although the list of committee members wouldn't necessarily suggest it, the decisions are politically driven one way or another.

List of committee members:

Name Position
Gene Smith† Ohio State University Athletic Director
Mike Bobinski Xavier University Athletic Director
Ron Wellman Wake Forest University Athletic Director
Jeff Hathaway University of Connecticut Athletic Director
Lynn Hickey University of Texas at San Antonio Athletic Director
Doug Fullerton Big Sky Conference Commissioner
Scott Barnes Utah State University Athletic Director
Stan Morrison University of California, Riverside Athletic Director
Dan Beebe Big 12 Conference Commissioner
Steve Orsini Southern Methodist University Athletic Director

Just looking at that again, there are 4 people on there from "BCS" conferences. 6 are from "mid-major" or lesser conferences. One of the 4 BCS representatives has a pretty obvious grudge against us. Is it any coincidence we got ****ed over for 2 mid-major teams?

He doesn't politic for us very well. But he is a politican looking out for his own ass.

Umm, wouldn't a politician looking out for his own ass want the institution he was politicking for to succeed? Wouldn't that be the best way to look out for himself?

Just looking at that again, there are 4 people on there from "BCS" conferences. 6 are from "mid-major" or lesser conferences. One of the 4 BCS representatives has a pretty obvious grudge against us. Is it any coincidence we got ****ed over for 2 mid-major teams?

It would sure explain why we didn't have enough "votes".

And we also notice the committee chair is Gene Smith from Ohio State and of course both Michigan State and Penn State get in even though they both won less than 20 games and had fewer significant wins than CU. But of course anyone with the honesty and integrity to work for a fine institution like Ohio State would never be a part of favoring his own conference over a team leaving the conference of his good buddy. Tell me Gene, how both Penn State and Michigan State are better than CU if you would please. I thought so, you can't but you will gladly take the extra shares of money they will bring in to the conference for appearing and keep talking about the mighty Big X.

Gene Smith probably has buyers remorse for scheduling CU at the Horseshoe along with the million-dollar pay day, sweater vest in the headlines for lying, and a bunch of players trading their jerseys and rings for drugs...err...tattoos.

First off, I've posted this in a few different places because the topic has spanned numerous threads.

Beebe must leave the room whenever a Big 12 team is being discussed.

Now, here's another thing to be aware of - whenever a team from your conference as a commissioner is being discussed you must leave the room, which is the case with Beebe as aforementioned. And an AD must leave the room whenever they're school is being discussed. However, as an AD you are allowed to stay in the room when other teams from your conference are being discussed.

First off, I've posted this in a few different places because the topic has spanned numerous threads.

Beebe must leave the room whenever a Big 12 team is being discussed.

Now, here's another thing to be aware of - whenever a team from your conference as a commissioner is being discussed you must leave the room, which is the case with Beebe as aforementioned. And an AD must leave the room whenever they're school is being discussed. However, as an AD you are allowed to stay in the room when other teams from your conference are being discussed.

Huge difference in what gets said in the formal discussions and gets talked about over a drink in the hotel bar or over eggs and bacon at breakfast. Plenty of opportunity to get messages across.

If you don't think that the NCAA is a purely political organization then you haven't been watching how they do things for years.

Back