What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cross Country- #1 Women (7:00 AM MT) and #5 Men (8:00 AM MT) at NCAA Championships (Saturday, 11/18)

Buff showing in 6th place EARLY (at the 2K mark). As often happens, the men are more packed together than the women were, so points will continue to be VERY fluid for awhile, and point position doesn't mean much.

Edit- One thing I just noticed, the 6th and 7th Buffs have already fallen off the pace quite a bit, so unless they are able to recover quickly, there will be no margin of error if any of the other 5 runners start experiencing difficulty.

Buffs still in 6th at 4K. (Edit- by the way, men's splits are showing as being at 5K, 8K and 9K.)

There are splits showing up under the 5K tab, but based on the times I assume they're actually 8K.

Uh oh- looks like it may not be a good Buff finish, as leader all season Joe Klecker looks to be having a tough day and is only in 60th.

Edt- Buffs STILL showing in 6th, and they've changed the tab to confirm it's the 8K mark, so the finish should be happening soon.

Finishers coming in- Wow- it was supposed to be a 2 horse race for the team championship between Northern Arizona and BYU. In the top 10 are THREE NAU guys, but 1st BYU guy didn't come in until 24th.

For the Buffs, looks like there's one All-American in, unofficially, in redshirt freshman Eduardo Herrera with a 35th place finish. Good sign for future years in cross country for him and later this year for track.

Scores are still flowing through, and VERY unofficial, but looks like the Buffs finished in around 7th place. Looks like a couple pretty bad days for a couple of their leaders. (EDIT- now they're showing in 8th.)
(For those who didn't listen to the women's interview I posted earlier, at least a couple of them were fighting through colds, which I assume could be TOUGH in a pure aerobic sport like distance running; wonder if it was also an issue for any of the men?)

Note- obviously not a big deal, but for state bragging rights- right now (before results are made official, individual runners' scores are backed out of official team scoring, etc.), CU is 24 points ahead of CSU (who is showing in 9th place). Hope nothing changes when the official scoring comes in that puts the Buffs behind the Rams.

I do want to note something Wetmore has touched on before but won’t mention today in his interviews: the two teams that finished above the Buffs have multiple international runners that come to the US when they aren’t quite ready for the pro circuit and go to the highest bidder. Wetmore refuses to play this game.

PS - also, the Buffs will return their top 6 scorers for next season, so the woman’s team should be among the top few programs again in 2018.

Good for Coach Wetmore. Keep the runners in school and do what is best for their future.

Re the CU vs. CSU "battle"- another thing that can happen in racing is hitting the dreaded "wall", and it looks to have happened to one of CSU's VERY GOOD racers. Mr. Mock for them was in 10th place at the 8K mark and unofficially finished WAY back in 169th. Respect anyways to him for going for it.
(The wall seems to happen to many racers , and most seem to come back stronger than ever. (it happened to Buff great Jenny Simpson, maybe now the most decorated American middle distance runner in history) back in the (I believe?) 2009 NCAA cross country championships, when she actually collapsed on the course a time or two before finishing around 163rd or so when coming into the race as the favorite.))

It’s not a good idea to second guess Coach Wetmore and Coach Burroughs. But I wonder if they are second guessing themselves by sitting Tabor Scholl or Mackenzie Caldwell. Neither Melanie Nun (152nd) nor Brianna Schwartz (254th in a field of 255) had a good outing. If either Scholl or Caldwell would have hung with Hurta and Benner, that reshuffles the podium.

I gotta call out AztecBuff for being an Allbuffs hero. Major props for blowing life into the XC natty race.

There’s not enough “like” to adequacy express my appreciation for your XC coverage this season.

Also a good time to appreciate the seniors. Thanks for proudly representing Colorado during your college XC careers, and bringing home the hardware to show for your dedication.

Kaitlyn Benner
Melanie Nun
Zach Perrin
Christian Martin
Adam Peterman

Good luck in Track and whatever comes next.

I gotta call out AztecBuff for being an Allbuffs hero. Major props for blowing life into the XC natty race.

There’s not enough “like” to adequacy express my appreciation for your XC coverage this season.

Love the sport (as I love all involving the Buffs). Although I would have loved and preferred to watch it (curse you NCAA for your laziness, thoughtlessness and cheapness!), it is I guess interesting to occasionally have to go "old school" in a new way and follow sporting events solely through social media.
(Was thinking as I was scrambling around trying to learn what was happening it reminded me most of, as a kid, staying up late and anxiously waiting every 3 or so minutes for the post-round by round summaries of the great fights (Ali-Frazier, etc.) that weren't allowed to be broadcasted live due to pay-per-view.)

And, ditto on your thanks to the seniors in your other post. As you say, great we get to see them, at minimum, for one more track season. (I know Ms. Benner, a 2 time Pac 12 champion, is, due to redshirting last season, only a junior for outdoor track.)

Forgot to link to the official post-Championships article-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11...ghth-at-ncaa-cross-country-championships.aspx

"
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The University of Colorado women finished third and its men eighth here Saturday in blustery conditions at the 80th annual NCAA Cross Country Championships.
In the women's 6-kilometer race, No. 2 New Mexico won its second title in three years, upending the No. 1 ranked Buffaloes and holding off No. 3 San Francisco. Colorado was in either second or third place at all the kilometer splits, as UNM and USF pretty much were dueling it out from the get go. When all was said and done, the Lobos had 90 team points, outdistancing the Dons (105) and CU (139). The Buffaloes did have the highest fifth-place finisher, or last team scorer, of all teams competing here.

It was Colorado's 10th podium finish in the 33 times it has qualified a team for the NCAA Championships dating back to 1976, its fourth third-place effort to go with two wins and four runner-up finishes. The Buffs have been knocking at the door the last three years, finishing second in 2015 and third last year, scoring virtually the same point total all three times (129 in 2015, 134 in 2016).

The Lobos' Ednah Kurgat claimed individual honors, as the sophomore won in a 19:19.5 time. Junior Dani Jones had CU's top finish, claiming 10th place in 19:47.0. Sophomore Sage Hurta was Colorado's next finisher, with her time of 20:09.6 good for 35th, while senior Kaitlyn Benner was behind her in 36th in 20:09.8. Junior Makena Morley (50th, 20:20.8) and redshirt freshman Madie Boreman (62nd, 320:25.7) rounded out CU's five scorers.

Jones, Hurta and Benner earned All-American honors for their top 40 finishes. It was Benner's third such honor, while being the second for Jones and Hurta.

"I feel pretty good about the women's team," CU head coach Mark Wetmore said. "I don't think anybody had a terrible day. We sent one person home who helped us earlier in the year, but she was legitimately hurt and if I would have plugged her in, she really wouldn't have helped us.

"I think the team score gaps were big enough that even with a perfect day, our women were going to be third," he continued. "I kind of had that feeling entering the meet that San Francisco and New Mexico were kind of under ranked. Dani wasn't 100 percent healthy today but still at the front end of the race, whether she was fifth or 10th doesn't change the team score very much. She did well for someone with a head cold and losing her psychological momentum going into the race. Behind her we had a couple of other All-Americans.

"It wasn't a perfect day but I'm still happy with them. They beat some really good teams if you look who's behind them and the rosters of those teams, they're hard to beat. I'm happy with the women."

Northern Arizona, the nation's top-ranked team, defended its title in the men's 10-kilometer race, as the Lumberjacks became the 19th team in NCAA history to win at least two back-to-back titles; Colorado was the last in 2013 and 2014. NAU led practically from wire-to-wire, assuming the team lead by the 2-kilometer split and never nursed anything lower than a 30-point edge in team scoring the rest of the way in finishing with 74 points, easily topping Portland (127) and Brigham Young (165).

Colorado was in sixth place in each of the four splits (2, 4, 5 and 8k) before eventually settling for an eighth-place finish with 294 points. The Buffs had entered Saturday as the nation's fifth-ranked team, and had finished in the top six for six straight years (now in the top eight for seven consecutive NCAA's).

Syracuse's Justyn Knight was the individual champion in a time of 29:00.1; he held off NAU's Matthew Baxter, who was seven-tenths of a second back. Two more NAU runners were behind him in third and eighth.

Freshman Eduardo Herrera turned in the top performance by the CU men, finishing 33rd in 29:55.4 and earning All-America honors in the process. Junior Ryan Forsyth (57th, 30:15.8), sophomore Joe Klecker (67th, 30:24.4) and senior Adam Peterman (89th, 30:34.7) were other Buffs to finish in the top 100; senior Zach Perrinwas Colorado's fifth scorer, placing 107th in 30.48.0.

"The men didn't have a great day," Wetmore said. "Our lead guy, Joe Klecker, struggled maybe a little bit too much after eight days ago (when he won the Mountain Regional). "I mentioned that to him that I didn't need him to win a week ago, but he felt good and maybe he left some back there.

"(It was) a great race for Eduardo Herrera, a freshman. At the end of the day, he's in the top three or four freshmen in the country. He was not a heralded cross country runner out of high school, more of a mile runner, so he had a great day. I think Adam Peterman did a good job for us. He missed a year with an Achilles tendonitis problem, and he just started in late August so for the foundation he had, he did well.

"I'm very happy with the women, I'm happy with some of the men – now we have a big rest and back to work for next year."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Official Results -
Women's - http://www.cubuffs.com/documents/2017/11/18//NCAA_women_results.pdf
Men's - http://www.cubuffs.com/documents/2017/11/18//NCAA_men_results.pdf

In addition to the interviews I already posted earlier, here's another one, this one Flotrack talking to Dani Jones-
http://www.flotrack.org/video/12677...ess-disappointed-with-10th-place#.WhC7qkrXbIU

Back