What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Crow, anybody?

The #1 issue is returning to profitability. Discussing facilities would very much seem like placing the cart before the horse after the last AD just got fired for running his balance sheet in the red. That said, it would be nice if they at least mentioned it as a priority.
:facepalm:

Thanks, Distephano.

My point here, which I thought was obvious, is that CU didn't screw this up like most of us thought they would. When George's name was first floated, how many people actually thought he'd be the guy? Furthermore, who thought they'd get this done so quickly? I sure as Hell didn't. I was fully prepared for this fiasco to drag well into the Fall.
Now, will he actually turn out to be better than Bohn was? I don't know. He certainly has the potential to be, though. On paper, it's a great hire. It was pulled off without a lot of drama or sideshow chicanery, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This news exceeded my expectations. I thought the announcement might drag on and on like the facilities project and have a few Butch Jones moments.

Maybe that burning portapoty fark was premature.

What's he supposed to say about the facilities? I agree that it's a big deal and needs to be addressed. I'm just not sure it needs to be specifically addressed in the introductory presser.

What's he supposed to say about the facilities? I agree that it's a big deal and needs to be addressed. I'm just not sure it needs to be specifically addressed in the introductory presser.

You just think he should address it several months down the road? How is that making it a priority/big deal?

Personally, I would have been more comfortable if he had done the entire presser holding a shovel and challenging the press to come out and dig the foundation with him this afternoon....

He could have at least announced when he would be making an announcement on facilities.

Too soon?

Impressed with the hire, and very impressed with the salary. No question that RG is leaving a better job (The Rangers are a top 5 org in baseball right now) to come here. Good to see BB (can't see DUI DiStefano driving the bus on this hire) fork over the change to get the guy who was number #1 on the list to take the job. That being said, every new hire in college athletics wins the press conference. Let's see what Rick can do from here!

You just think he should address it several months down the road? How is that making it a priority/big deal?

I'll answer that question with a question: do you think he has been on the job long enough to make any kind of intelligent comment on the issue?

I did not hear the presser. I thought somewhere along the line in one of these threads it was mentioned that he felt confident about raising the $50MM. I'm not clear on what more he should have said. What could he have said that would have satisfied you?

Great hire. Anyone speaking with confidence on day one that he can raise $50mil has me drinking the koolaide!

I'll answer that question with a question: do you think he has been on the job long enough to make any kind of intelligent comment on the issue?

I did not hear the presser. I thought somewhere along the line in one of these threads it was mentioned that he felt confident about raising the $50MM. I'm not clear on what more he should have said. What could he have said that would have satisfied you?

"I know we are in the middle of fundraising for facilities upgrades that are crucial to the long term health and viability of this athletic department, which is the front porch and the best advertising arm of this great university. I am making meeting those fundraising goals my number one priority and expect to meet and or exceed them. We are going to make sure CU has top notch facilities comparable with any other school in the country."

He said "fundraising" about a hundred times which is job 1. We can't break ground until the money faucet gets turned on, and RG, simply by being someone else and having a clean slate, has an opportunity to bring all of the factions together and raise some coin. I think MB just had too many people blaming him for this or that and everyone's wallets were closed.

"I know we are in the middle of fundraising for facilities upgrades that are crucial to the long term health and viability of this athletic department, which is the front porch and the best advertising arm of this great university. I am making meeting those fundraising goals my number one priority and expect to meet and or exceed them. We are going to make sure CU has top notch facilities comparable with any other school in the country."

Ok. So when he was talking about fundraising, you wanted more specificity about what we are raising the funds for?

Darth, he mentioned it several times during the PC. Most of the time, it was part of a laundry list of things to be done, but he did specifically mention the $50 M deadline, and even said that he was confident that he would have no problem raising that kind of money.

Ok. So when he was talking about fundraising, you wanted more specificity about what we are raising the funds for?

Stop being obtuse.

Darth, he mentioned it several times during the PC. Most of the time, it was part of a laundry list of things to be done, but he did specifically mention the $50 M deadline, and even said that he was confident that he would have no problem raising that kind of money.
Good. Thank you.

My point here, which I thought was obvious, is that CU didn't screw this up like most of us thought they would. When George's name was first floated, how many people actually thought he'd be the guy? Furthermore, who thought they'd get this done so quickly? I sure as Hell didn't. I was fully prepared for this fiasco to drag well into the Fall.
Now, will he actually turn out to be better than Bohn was? I don't know. He certainly has the potential to be, though. On paper, it's a great hire. It was pulled off without a lot of drama or sideshow chicanery, too.

I agree with you here, sacky.

I was in the Rick George camp from the time I saw his name floated. I was very worried that this wasn't going to happen.

I agree with you here, sacky.

I was in the Rick George camp from the time I saw his name floated. I was very worried that this wasn't going to happen.
We've become conditioned to expect CU to step on its dick at every opportunity. It comes as a genuine shock when they do something right.

We've become conditioned to expect CU to step on its dick at every opportunity. It comes as a genuine shock when they do something right.

Not only did we get someone who fit the profile most people thought we needed, but we got someone whose resume now looks like he took a step back in his career by coming here as AD. Punched above our weight class on this one.

Sacky - We all had some sort of wishful thoughts on how this should have turned out. I thought the crack hiring committee was going to take their time and interview at least 3-4 candidates before deciding whom to choose. As it turns out, it would appear they knew who they wanted all along. Hopefully Rick is not a yes man and DiStiff retires tomorrow. I'm fairly certain Rick will be under the microscope for some time to come.

On the surface - It looks like they had George lined up before the ax fell on Bohn... CU never does anything this quick and with this little drama

I think we are seing focus from Benson on Athletics.

On the surface - It looks like they had George lined up before the ax fell on Bohn... CU never does anything this quick and with this little drama

The last five years of coaching changes and on field performance from football finally became the black eye that couldn't be ignored. The buy outs and then press conference with Embree and the statements about what standards for the new football coach that were latter not met became the nail in the coffin for Bohn. All of this despite his huge success of opening the door for the PAC and keeping us from being Texas jock sniffers like our former confernce brethren. I think Benson is allowing DiSteph a graceful exit. He(DS)got a big raise that will allow him to sunset more easily and will be gone by this time next year. In the interim, he's brought in someone he would of hired in his past business days to run the AD. All of this looks pretty good. The wild card right now is how will the new football coach perform?

When the AD stepped down at Greely, I was really scarred he was coming to CU. How sad that I had that little faith in the CU admin that I thought that.

I was very happy with yesterdays news. I was very worried we would be settling for Ceal. Ceal was a very good womens basketball coach, but not the person I want going into the board rooms across the western US asking the business leaders to open the check book for CU. Maybe the new AD is that person. I am excited to find out! I would love to see what sort of performance thresholds they built into the contract. Certainly they must have some fund raising goals that trigger graduation of buy out if they are not met.

Not going to eat a ton of Crow as I hoped BB had a role in this hire and would live up to his most recent comments on the importance of Athletics at CU. He has done a good job of getting this move done and I am damn glad to have RG on board. I look forward to seeing what he has to say in the next 60 days or so and how he starts to build his vision for the future of CU Athletics. That will be where the rubber meets the road for me.

And by the way, their is no way the little man pulled this off. Benson got this done and I for one hope that he can effectively ignore DiStoucheno and take direction directly from Benson.

After watching things unfold yesterday reading everything this morning I really have to wonder who contacted who about the AD job. The whole string of events just makes much more sense if you start with somebody associated with George approaching CU about his interest in the job. The timing of the Bohn firing, the slow coming together of the Committee, the description of the desired candidate, and the fact we didn't screw it up all lead me to believe it was him contacting us, probably indirectly, that got this whole ball rolling.

After watching things unfold yesterday reading everything this morning I really have to wonder who contacted who about the AD job. The whole string of events just makes much more sense if you start with somebody associated with George approaching CU about his interest in the job. The timing of the Bohn firing, the slow coming together of the Committee, the description of the desired candidate, and the fact we didn't screw it up all lead me to believe it was him contacting us, probably indirectly, that got this whole ball rolling.

Did not happen that way. There were a lot of things that went on with Bohn that made Benson decide to let him go but someone else lobbying for the job was not one of those things.

I think they are all pretty well known. The Embree press conference, the botched coaching search with Butch Jones, the continuing flow of red ink out of the AD with Bohn claiming everything was okay, and the lack of progress on fund raising (bigger).

I think they are all pretty well known. The Embree press conference, the botched coaching search with Butch Jones, the continuing flow of red ink out of the AD with Bohn claiming everything was okay, and the lack of progress on fund raising (bigger).

Seems like everybody has the same opinion of Bohn----C+ AD. The great thing with this was the fact that CU finally had the guts to swing for the fences in a search.....and it worked! Really looking forward to see what Rick can do with our fundraising!

Tini and I are regularly accused of being drunk on Kool-Aid. The good thing about that approach is that on occasion us glass half-full people get what we hoped for. On this occasion, despite others saying the AD was going to f this up, I thought we might just get it right and thought George was a real possibility when his name was floated.

Personally, again being an optimist, I think the RG signing, upping Boyle's salary significantly and offering a big pool of $ (comparatively speaking) for our football staff suggest that there is indeed a legitimate change of philosophy at the top of CU regarding athletics and football. They are putting their $ where their mouth is and hiring qualified, high caliber leadership.

I believe we really may be on the right track this time. If RG gets enough latitude and does what his resume suggests he can, we should eventually get the funds for facilities upgrades and get more butts in seats at football games, etc. I also wonder if RG is the type who wants to have his own blueprint for things like facilities expansion.

Based on his track record I would not be surprised if the new facilities plan is modified partially or substantially and perhaps, in stages, becomes a bigger project as well.

Go Buffs!

Back