What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU at Mile High is now the 2nd game for the Rams

Good or bad for CU that the Rams are playing an opener vs OSU ahead of the RMS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sp...will-have-early-opener-and-other-column-notes

• Item: Oregon State will now open its football season at Colorado State on Saturday, Aug. 26. The Rams and Beavers were scheduled to play on Sept. 23, which would have been OSU's third game.
Comment: The switch was made because the Rams want to debut the new 41,000-seat Colorado State Stadium against a Pac-12 opponent.
Oregon State will now have two byes during the season — after the fourth game on Sept. 23 and after the seventh game on Oct. 21.

############################
I don't think I like this for CU.

Teams generally improve a lot between game 1 and game 2. This schedule change is a pretty big advantage for CSU.

On the positive side:

1) CU coaches will have film on CSU while CSU coaches will be going into our game blind
2) CU will spend camp focused on the CSU gameplan while CSU will now be focused on OSU with only a week to prepare for the Buffs

Is this scheduling change good or bad for us?

I would say good for us. Easy for MWC teams to get up for one game early in the season but playing OSU in the opener, probably getting pretty beat up and then having to get up the next week is going to be tough. Oregon State should be a bowl team next year too.

Also let's be real here, it's 36,000 seats lol.

I wonder how hard CSU pushed to try and get CU to campus for that their first game.

Bad for them. Hard to get "up" two weeks in a row right out of the gate. Their scheduling the next several seasons is going to be bad for them in the long run.

I just realized that the OSU game is on Saturday and the RMS is on Friday. So that's putting CSU on a short week, which is really good for us.
I've changed my opinion to positive for us, but still irrelevant.

It is helpful to us that the Beavs run a very different system than we do. Ryan Nall should beat up their front 7 plenty, and we'll get some decent film to prepare our hurry up scheme.

Bad for them. Hard to get "up" two weeks in a row right out of the gate. Their scheduling the next several seasons is going to be bad for them in the long run.
Yeah, OSU, CU and Bama in 2017, and CU, Arkansas and Florida in 2018 (Also have CU and Arky scheduled so far in 2019) is a brutal OOC in back to back years.

OSU is going to crush them. They may be another year from a full turnaround, but I think Anderson is capable of mudholing CSU.

OSU is going to crush them. They may be another year from a full turnaround, but I think Anderson is capable of mudholing CSU.

At the least, we know that OSU will be playing a very physical, Wisconsin-style game. That's tough to bounce back from on a short week.

Painter Francisco de Zurbarán Agnes Dei sums up my opinion on this trivial issue.

800px-Francisco_de_Zurbarán_006.jpg

/ Prado smack.

Why does CSU want to show off its new stadium against a PAC12 opponent?
Probably hoping to pull more eyeballs than CBS Sports Net. Season Opener, Home Opener in a new stadium, vs a P5 opponent means they might be able to get an ESPN 2 or 3 or maybe a FSN slot.

We tend to take a while to get started, normally would be a big advantage for them to have a game under their belts.

This time though I think the bigger factor is going to be them having invested everything in the game to open their stadium. They are going to go into it in full sheep fantasy mode thinking that they beat the Beavers, beat the Buffs, and roll on to a top 10 season with a real bowl.

When reality hits (sometime around the middle of the second quarter with OSU up by a couple TDs and controlling the LOS) their comedown is going to be hard.

They are then going to realize that they just got beat in a game that they put everything into and have another game in a week against a better team.

They may not draw 20,000 to Denver for the game against us.

They also will be playing a Buffs team that looks different. I think we are going to see some significant changes in the offense with Montez instead of Sefo. Waiting to see what changes we see on defense.

At the least, we know that OSU will be playing a very physical, Wisconsin-style game. That's tough to bounce back from on a short week.
Just look at how the Buffs struggled on a short week against Washington after playing a physical team like Utah the week before.

Rams will be coming off a dispiriting pounding against a reviving OSU program, only to get another dispiriting pounding from the Buffs in Denver. Bad new for the rams.

I think Oregon State might be the dark horse team in the North. I like what Anderson is doing and it's not like Riley left the cupboards bare when he left for Nebraska. If anything, this could help us more than CSU. We will have the whole summer to game plan for them and will have game film on them from the previous week. Now CSU's focus this summer will be on OSU instead of us.

Back