What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU stadium

It's hard not to enjoy a bit of the schadenfreude on display here. The rational part of me wishes they'd get this thing done, and done fast. The emotional, irrational CU fan that wants CSU to wallow in a pit of sub-mediorcrity for eternity thinks their ham handed attempts to play with the big boys is amusing.

I want them to get it done, responsibly. We all play in the same pool here in Colorado

At least $25m of that $40m has come from just 5 individual donors. Is that typical? It seems like an awfully big percentage of the total raised coming from the big fish and how many of those type of donors can there be out there?

At least $25m of that $40m has come from just 5 individual donors. Is that typical? It seems like an awfully big percentage of the total raised coming from the big fish and how many of those type of donors can there be out there?

That's very typical. In most cases, about 80% of your donations in any capital campaign will come from a small number of large donors.

It's hard not to enjoy a bit of the schadenfreude on display here. The rational part of me wishes they'd get this thing done, and done fast. The emotional, irrational CU fan that wants CSU to wallow in a pit of sub-mediorcrity for eternity thinks their ham handed attempts to play with the big boys is amusing.

This is my stance. College football is all about emotion. Many CSU fans already think they will pound us this year because of their successful season last year. Nevermind that they think this every year and it rarely happens, and they tend to forget that their O-line and D-line from last year are gone.

Grape%20Jelly%20285.jpg

Sadly, I think he was banned when we didn't want to take our medicine after the CSU loss two years ago.

That was a tough loss. The sight of McSparkles high-fiving on the sideline after tricking Embree into calling a time out. Guh. I think we banned him before the game though.

I'm still not sure how they will pay the remaining 2/3. No tv money of any significance, unless they secure a spot in the P5. There's no way concert/event revenue could make up that shortfall.

I'd like to see them get it built and $40 mil is nothing to sneeze at, but what is the end game here? I guess just trying it get a P5 slot. But what if that doesn't happen? How will they pay for this toy? They definitely better keep fundraising past the 2/3 goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the issue with them.

They live under the illusion that they are one break, on step, one fine margin from being in the big time.

They are living in the age of rain follows the plow. Build a (marginal) P5 stadium and they will magically fill it up and get an invitation to a P5 conference and the money will start to flow in.

The concern is that if they do ever get this done, which is looking less likely, that when the revenues fail to come in the college ends up having to pay for it out of general funds.

At that point legitimate concerns come to a head and the legislature passes laws to prevent CSU from doing it again which also make it much more difficult for CU to structure the financing on needed improvements even though CU has the revenue streams and isn't at the same kind of financial risk.

So over on ramnation they are saying only $24 millions has actually been donated and $40 million has been promised. Yet everyone keeps throwing out that they've raised 40 million. If that's true then that is another $16 million that they still need to raise.

So over on ramnation they are saying only $24 millions has actually been donated and $40 million has been promised. Yet everyone keeps throwing out that they've raised 40 million. If that's true then that is another $16 million that they still need to raise.

It's typical in a capital campaign to treat pledges as money raised. You kind of have to, in fact. You then raise a little bit more than the amount necessary to account for the fact that some folks won't come through on their pledges.

They live under the illusion that they are one break, on step, one fine margin from being in the big time.

They are living in the age of rain follows the plow. Build a (marginal) P5 stadium and they will magically fill it up and get an invitation to a P5 conference and the money will start to flow in.

The concern is that if they do ever get this done, which is looking less likely, that when the revenues fail to come in the college ends up having to pay for it out of general funds.

At that point legitimate concerns come to a head and the legislature passes laws to prevent CSU from doing it again which also make it much more difficult for CU to structure the financing on needed improvements even though CU has the revenue streams and isn't at the same kind of financial risk.

To be fair, I live under a similar delusion regarding the Buffs.

It's typical in a capital campaign to treat pledges as money raised. You kind of have to, in fact. You then raise a little bit more than the amount necessary to account for the fact that some folks won't come through on their pledges.

I can understand that and I get the importance but it is still $18 million, almost half, of the total that they've raised. I think that is the more troubling sign. I don't think those pledged donations are going to be repeated. So that is nowhere near where they need to be. (I'm not sure if I'm translating my thoughts into text very well so I apologize if this is confusing.)

This campaign is two years old, right? So CSU's problem is that the people who are passionate about CSU athletics have already contributed and/or pledged contributions for the stadium. Unless they can wrangle one $50 million donor I don't see any road to the $110 million mark.

This campaign is two years old, right? So CSU's problem is that the people who are passionate about CSU athletics have already contributed and/or pledged contributions for the stadium. Unless they can wrangle one $50 million donor I don't see any road to the $110 million mark.

Thanks AZ, that was kind of what I was trying to say. They've raised 24 million from the passionate fans with another 16 million pledged. Who else is going to give money after this 40 million? I just don't see it working out.

yep - sounds like fundraising has considerably slowed since the start of the year

I'm thinking that any slim hope of csu getting a Big 12 invite has pretty much gone bye bye and those with $$ know this and aren't willing to pony up.

I still stand by my original statement that the stadium would never happen. At least in it's current $250M state. Maybe they could do a small on campus stadium to the tune of $100-$150M, but that certainly won't do them any good with respect to P5 invitations.

Last edited:

When I read the article I took it to mean that $24MM has actually been raised, and another $16MM pledged, like you've said.

Thanks AZ, that was kind of what I was trying to say. They've raised 24 million from the passionate fans with another 16 million pledged. Who else is going to give money after this 40 million? I just don't see it working out.

The only thing I can figure is that they're counting on a whale or two- someone like a Stryker to come by and push out $50MM.

The only thing I can figure is that they're counting on a whale or two- someone like a Stryker to come by and push out $50MM.

A little off topic but I just saw a commercial yesterday from one of those 1-800-Bad-Drug things where there is a class action suit against Stryker. I don't that will personally effect her though.

I still stand by my original statement that the stadium would never happen. At least in it's current $250M state. Maybe they could do a small on campus stadium to the tune of $100-$150M, but that certainly won't do them any good with respect to P5 invitations.

I'm not sure that building a stadium like Tennessee has would do them any good with respect to P5 invitations.

I'm not sure that building a stadium like Tennessee has would do them any good with respect to P5 invitations.

I don't know how many conferences are going to be impressed with them having new empty seats instead of old empty seats.

Some live under an illusion.

But given the lack of interest amongst their donor community, it seems to me that many or most know enough not to throw good money after bad.

Back