What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU 2022-23 Roster - How to finish the class?

What position should we target?

• Point Guard

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Shooting Guard

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Wing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forward

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Center

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Clifford is not a 2. Never was, never will be. His perfect position on this team is 3. He can play the wing and is trusted to shoot 3s, but can also float inside to create shots and crash the glass. It's the exact role King and Schwartz played when they weren't forced into hybrid 2s or 4s on occassion.

Our lineup next year is DEEP and probably fleshes out this way:
G: KJ, Hammond
G: Kee, Hammond, Ruffin, Smith
Swing: Clifford, Allen
F1: Jabari or Transfer, LOB, Hurlburt
F2: DaSilva, Transfer, Lovering
Pretty much this. I have a really hard time seeing anyone transferring. Hammond might like more minutes. He or Ruffin might bolt next year, but not now. And Smith - who knows, maybe he blows up like Kin and takes over. One can dream.

Lots of good points, but my opinion is that it’s a no-brainer to grab 1-2 guys (depending on Walker) that are grad transfer types/upperclassmen. The game today changes year by year like never before, but you have to have a minimum of two available slots just for the ‘23 class in Colorado. If a surprise happens or someone transfers out then three open slots is great! I don’t remember a year in Colorado with so many very good big men. If Walker stays next year, CU adds a big grad transfer that can step right in, and everyone is healthy then this team could be scary good. A few weeks ago I would’ve said Walker is definitely coming back, but he has elevated his game. It’s 50/50 at best at this point.

Need to add more perimeter D. Hopefully Allen and Ruffin can help here. Getting a 3 and D guard or wing in the portal would be good.

Need to get stronger. We had one of the skinniest teams I've ever seen.

I thought the Buffs had some length/wingspan this year, but always felt like we were the smaller team in conference.

I thought the Buffs had some length/wingspan this year, but always felt like we were the smaller team in conference.

Lovering getting injured was bigger than most here acknowledge. Clifford, da Silva, and Walker are all long enough to defend their positions, but without a Dre-like shot blocker or a 7-footer, our defense takes a step back.

Lovering getting injured was bigger than most here acknowledge. Clifford, da Silva, and Walker are all long enough to defend their positions, but without a Dre-like shot blocker or a 7-footer, our defense takes a step back.

At the very least he was good enough for 10 mins a game to give EB and JW a rest. LL's ceiling is higher than Walton's was imo.

We're too thin at forward even if Jabari stays. We are in dire straits if he leaves. The answer is F/C

Hmm. I see at least six frontcourt players if Walker stays (O'Brien, Allen, da Silva, Lovering, Hurlburt). Hard to count on true freshmen and those coming off injury, but there won't be minutes for all of them if everyone is healthy.

Last night highlighted something we've had problems with all year: Guards getting through screens. Very much dominated in that area. KJ needs to through football spring practice as a running back or something.

Lovering would've made a big difference last night if nothing else but to occupy Osunniyi and free up Walker and Battey more.

On the S&C side, I thought Nique and LOB were noticeably bigger from their freshman year and it looked like good weight to me. I think Da Silva could help our line up the most if he could put on some good weight and get stronger. Lovering too, obviously.

I think official rosters always contain some fibbing, but ours put it on thick this year. I think it listed five players gaining at least an inch in height from last year to this one. Don't remember ever seeing that in previous years.

I don't disagree or anything. That game, I'd rather not talk about. I don't think it had much to do with length, I'll leave it there.

1) Need Point Guard! You only need to look as far Tad’s only current offer to see what he wants: Avery Brown, top passer in ‘22, true point and leader w/ great D and scoring.

Seems counter-intuitive with all the guards he already has, but Tad has wanted to play 3 guards for chunks of games since he got here (see how Baylor won last year with guards that could defend forwards, ie: Luke this year). But Quincy (start at 3; time at 4?), Nique (start at 2; time at 3?), and Javon (1 of team’s best shooter and biggest surprise on team next year?) can play as 3rd or 4th guard and those 3 may push Luke to 10th or 11th man spot (Still expect Luke to shine as designated shooter, now that his D, Rbding, toughness & passing is where Tad wants it).

I expect RJ Smith to redshirt (as our future defensive stopper). I wouldn’t be surprised to see Julian Hammond redshirt too (if CU signs Brown or another true point), as Brown, Smith, and Hammond as upperclassmen would be our best D backcourt ever!

2) Transfer Portal? Yuck! From my February post: “After Faulkner de-commit, Tad re-iterated preference to take High School guys who are good development-culture fits (want to bleed gold & black!) over transfers-so doubt CU chase’s transfers hard. If they don't use it on Brown or Klintman, too many great '23 (Foward) prospects- including in Colorado- to not just hold onto it until '23?”

I doubt Walker goes NBA this year, but I do expect him to leave to NBA after next year. CU seems to have stayed in contact with ‘22’s Bobbi Klintman, Agbo Ogbonna and Davion Guity (all 6’8-6’9 inside/out wing/forwards, with Guity little more G/F). If any of these guys take a grad year to re-classify to ‘23, they will stay on CU’s radar. If CU doesn’t sign Brown, I would say CU more likely to take Klintman or Ogbonna (similar developmental upside as Walker?) over a grad transfer?

I expect CU to continue to monitor transfer market, as it is just part of the new landscape, but unless another Jaylon Tyson type (quintessential Tad player) comes along (he seemed to be the only 1 they considered using Faulkner’s scholly on in 6 months, before he chose TX Tech over CU in January), expect Tad to not risk too many 1 year rentals after Faulkner. Why, when he can develop a better player in 2-3 years, and have to play for 2 years versus 1? (I’ll bet money RJ and Hammond are better players than Faulkner was this year in 2-3 years; same goes for Klintman and Ogbonna will be as good as Walker in couple years).

3) If Walker decides to push for an NBA 2nd round pick or 2-way contract this year-yes we definitely need another big/forward or what I call “big/wing” in Tad system (can play 2-4 or 3-5, but mostly would need a fourth guy to play 4/5 minutes) with Lovering, Hurlburt (another new addition that will be one if teams best shooters, even as Frosh, with Quincy and Javon), and daSilva. But Luke and Quincy playing back-up minutes at 4 wouldn’t be worst thing-as prepare them for stretch’s of Tad Small Ball every game. Battery made it clear he’s not coming back (until it’s as a coach), but maybe ex-walk-on Loughlin improves enough to be 4th big? Doubtful. I could see Tad offering Eli 5th year, if Avery Brown signs elsewhere? Either option is Doubtful; as CU LOVES Avery!

4) Lay-off Lawson! Bigs take longer to develop for a reason. Tad calls him a future pro, and that means he’s working for an opportunity in the NBA. He is going to be a solid and tough big! Lawson may be 1 of the biggest reasons we got Hurlburt: small forward’s game that knows he is a 4 at next level, so wants chance to show he can play next to a true 5 like Lawson. With Jabari and da Silva at 4 and 3, we will have some tough big line-ups next year! But Tad will go to small ball at least 1-2 times a game. And how many CU guards are playing well enough to earn minutes in last 5 minutes of games, may determine how quick this team’s youth reaches “Sweet-16 & Beyond” goal.

5) Too many great “big/wings” in ‘23, so don’t need to push for ‘22 transfer, but need to be patient for ‘23s: Ndongo may be better Tad-fit than even Bari, as elite motor and D; Booth elite shooter and on the way to elite toughness; Betts may have best over-all 3/4 inside/out combo-forward game of bunch; Zayden High reminds me so much of Tristan, ie: 6’10 do-it-all small forward type; Stretch 4 Cameron Barnes has NBA ceiling if he adds weight (ditto on both counts with Klintman). + CU in-early w/ ‘24 Jacob Cofie future big.

6) PointWING! Most exciting part of next couple years of CU recruiting is that even if we get our point guard of the future (‘Kin-like D and leader w/ better size, passing and scoring my?) Avery Brown - we still have great chance to get the 6’7-6’10 Point Forward thatTad has been looking for since lost Lazar Nikolic to Europe pros after 1 year. Diop and/or Normand to get heavy minutes at 2-4 spots, then back-up minutes at 1 (we would have beat FSU last year in tourney, if we had that role filled). Even ‘24 Top-15 talent could take look at CU, as Tad knows exactly how to use Liam McNeely’s unique & elite Point-Foward skills (though OK, TX & Blue Bloods would be very tough-outs!). But may not need to pry Liam from Duke w/ Diop or Normand?

Raymond Hawkins just into transfer portal. CU was first offer to 6’9 240 mobile big, & at least 1 1/2 year-long relationship. Character & relationship at top of Tad’s list, so could see him & Bobi Klintman as top candidates to replace Jabari - if he goes to NBA now?

CU also had long-term relationship with USC’s Ethan Anderson. But he may not bring enough to table for Tad (D & minimum point guard skills there). NC State’s Cam Hayes only Point I’ve seen in transfer portal so far that even comes close to what Avery Brown brings to the table-Avery w/ Total Package!

I am surprised that neither of the two visitors from the past weekend fit the enforcer/rebounder mold that many of us have been expecting. Does this mean that Tad has some confidence that Jabari is coming back? Maybe he doesn't want to crowd out Lovering, Hurlburt, and some big prospects for next year?

It does seem like the two are lengthy perimeter players that can shoot. I like both and would love to have a pure shooter on the team in Wright to shore up the lost offensive production from Barthelemy.

I'm nervous that we will rely heavily on Lovering to dominate the glass next year when he is coming off an injury and was already weak for his position.

I've got no concerns about our height & length. Our weakness is strength & girth. Need to be able to finish in traffic and win contested rebounds.
Agreed. Lack of strength and physicality was very apparent during the home losses to ASU and those Bonnie punks.

Back