What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU @ Arizona State Thread (11/4, 7PM on Pac-12 Network)

ASU made adjustments vs the run and unfortunately the mix of pass and run went out the window. I will say this, ASU 's secondary was not good and for the most part I had no problem with the longer pass plays called, after all we did have a couple of 40+ yders dropped. Rather go long than the dink and dunks that become so predictable and eventually jumped.

We took ourselves out of running the ball. High percentage passes protecting a lead should be applauded.

Speaking from a purely logical perspective, it is absolutely bizarre to refer to events that have already happened when talking about the probability of streaks. Given your posting history in the politics forum, however, it doesn't surprise me that you seem to think that the fact that CU already lost consecutive games means that it is somehow less likely that they lose the next one...
It’s not like the Buffs don’t have a history of season-ending losing streaks. 8 in 2014, 5 in 2015, even 2 last year. (Ok I know that’s not quite fair given the post-season opponent quality...) And we’ve already had a 3-game losing streak this season. Anyway 3 is irrelevant, it’s a 2-game losing streak the next 2 games we need to avoid.

We took ourselves out of running the ball. High percentage passes protecting a lead should be applauded.
They shut down the run down real early in the 3rd and high percentage passes don't burn any clock and as I mentioned previously go to that well too many times has bad written all over it...unless you're willing to incorporate the TE. This is what I saw and for the first time all season I actually watched a game stone sober. To me I saw the O line digress to a point where you didn't know whether or not a run or pass play had a chance to be successful. Next game, when a running play is called and it's over count how many of the O linemen are standing upright and ask yourself when was the last time you saw a "pancake" block.

So after the Buffs went up by 10 with just under 5 minutes to go in the third quarter, the Buffs proceeded to pass the ball 13 times and run it 6 times. They picked up two first downs before the last drive.

In the last four drives, TOP was:

1:18 (3 plays), 2:35 (5 plays), 1:29 (5 plays), 2:36 (6 plays)

What exactly WAS working to inexplicably go pass heavy? Outside of the one long pass play to Lindsay, the offense did very little AND managed to slow the game down. Terrible playcalling to protect a lead.
I said in an earlier post the play calling was bad. I think we agree. But I remember one play, in the 3rd I think, where Montez hit Ross in the numbers 25 or 35 yards downfield, on the sideline, and Ross dropped it. Sometimes players have to execute.

So after the Buffs went up by 10 with just under 5 minutes to go in the third quarter, the Buffs proceeded to pass the ball 13 times and run it 6 times. They picked up two first downs before the last drive.

In the last four drives, TOP was:

1:18 (3 plays), 2:35 (5 plays), 1:29 (5 plays), 2:36 (6 plays)

What exactly WAS working to inexplicably go pass heavy? Outside of the one long pass play to Lindsay, the offense did very little AND managed to slow the game down. Terrible playcalling to protect a lead.

More than this the nature of the passes were heavy on low percentage throws. Harder to tell on TV than in person but against Cal JMac was open all day in the middle of the field and he catches it when it is thrown to him. Had the pass plays yesterday been attacking those short to medium zones in the middle of the field giving a high percentage chance of completion and first downs.

More than this the nature of the passes were heavy on low percentage throws. Harder to tell on TV than in person but against Cal JMac was open all day in the middle of the field and he catches it when it is thrown to him. Had the pass plays yesterday been attacking those short to medium zones in the middle of the field giving a high percentage chance of completion and first downs.
The middle of the field was open where JMac can flourish and is usually good for 10+ yds, the sideline passes have limited yardage value and the sideline becomes one more defensive player. The long TD Fields caught was a double move and worked because the DB thought it was another quick out and relied on the sideline for help. That play has been there all season and it's not that difficult a throw...but does require enough protection time to make happen. I thought that play was the best one of the season, the ball was so well thrown Fields would've had to be blind to miss or drop.

I said in an earlier post the play calling was bad. I think we agree. But I remember one play, in the 3rd I think, where Montez hit Ross in the numbers 25 or 35 yards downfield, on the sideline, and Ross dropped it. Sometimes players have to execute.
Funny thing is the TD pass Ross biffed hit him in the face shield, later another one did but he got his hands around it and caught it...seriously does he have a depth perception issue? I got ask even though last year he'd have made both those catches no problem.

As a side nuance I've noticed this season based on TV coverage the inter action between Hagan & PL. Hagan is a good coach far better than he's given credit for. Several times the cameras have shown Hagan talking to L and he smiles, it's as though they speak a certain language only known to those like them. Next season Hagan will have to coach more based on who has to work with, it must be difficult trying to convey to a young player the concept of "not everything is going to go as it's drawn up". If memory serves me right PL hasn't fumbled this season, as a player Hagan saw is RBs fumble enough times to coach the importance of ball security. #3

As a side nuance I've noticed this season based on TV coverage the inter action between Hagan & PL. Hagan is a good coach far better than he's given credit for. Several times the cameras have shown Hagan talking to L and he smiles, it's as though they speak a certain language only known to those like them. Next season Hagan will have to coach more based on who has to work with, it must be difficult trying to convey to a young player the concept of "not everything is going to go as it's drawn up". If memory serves me right PL hasn't fumbled this season, as a player Hagan saw is RBs fumble enough times to coach the importance of ball security. #3

It isn't hard to coach when the player holds himself to a higher standard than you would hold him as a coach.

...Several times the cameras have shown Hagan talking to L and he smiles, it's as though they speak a certain language only known to those like them...
It’s a little funny that you extrapolate this to something mysterious, because you can’t hear the conversation. They could be sharing jokes about MM for all we know.

Well, crap. Lynott definitely out. Moeller possibly out. What about Oliver for SC? Uncle Wigley got used and abused by Harry.

Oh man, I don't like the Achilles injury for anyone, tough injury. Best of luck Mr. Lynott, sure you'll be fine. I worried that might be what it was.

Back