What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: What They’re Saying …

RSSBot

News Junkie

What They’re Saying … Notes and Quotes at the Midway point of Spring Practices

Colorado has conducted seven of its 15 allotted spring practices. After spring break, the Buffs will conduct one more scrimmage (April 1st – closed to the public) before its Spring Game (April 9th, noon, Pac-12 Networks).

At the midway point – and with the Buffs off for Spring Break – we have the opportunity to take a look at the first few weeks of CU Spring Football. Over the next week, we’ll take a look at each unit of the team, with a compilation of notes and quotes from Mike MacIntyre’s post-practice comments to the media, along with stories posted by the CU website, cubuffs.com, the Rivals website, BuffStampede.com, and the Boulder Daily Camera.

The schedule: Saturday: Quarterbacks … Sunday: Running backs … Monday: Wide receivers … Tuesday: Offensive line and offense overview … Wednesday: Defensive line … Thursday: Linebackers … Friday: Defensive backs and defense overview … Saturday: Special teams

Quarterbacks

Considering the fact that the quarterback most likely to take the first snap of the season against Colorado State on September 2nd is not participating in spring drills, there has been a great deal of coverage of the quarterback position.

Sefo Liufau is out with a foot injury suffered late last season, while transfer Davis Webb is still finishing up classes at Texas Tech. As a result, redshirt freshman Steven Montez and senior Jordan Gehrke have been getting the reps … and the comments.

Steven Montez … According to MacIntyre, redshirt freshman quarterback Steven Montez “had a couple tough moments but then he had some really good moments” during the first two weeks of practice.

… New co-offensive coordinator Darrin Chiaverini on Montez … “I have been really impressed with how Montez has developed these first seven practices. He has some football savvy to him, which I like. He has some natural football leadership qualities. I think he is going to keep developing and hopefully he is not asked to play too soon and he can just keep developing and learn the offense really well. So then, when he gets his opportunity, he is ready. He has been a pleasant surprise this spring for me.”

… For his part, here is what Montez had to say about his first two weeks under center this spring … “It is really all a learning experience for me to get a full grasp of the offense and just get things rolling,” said Montez. “Being thrown in with the ones and twos, it is a different and good experience. It is just a lot faster pace. I am just getting used to it.”

Don’t confuse his lack of experience for a lack of confidence, though.

“Every day I wake up and tell myself this is a day to compete, this is a day you are going to win,” Montez said. “So I just go out here and compete every day. Every throw matters, every rep counts; just give it my all for the team and get ready for the fall.”

… A self-critique by Montez of his first seven spring drills went like this: “I’ve made great strides, learned a lot. It seems that seven practices have gone by really quick . . . I’ve tried to be a sponge in meetings and soak it all up and then come out in practice and apply what we’ve learned.”

Meanwhile, senior Jordan Gehrke remains as the other healthy scholarship quarterback this spring … “It’s a good opportunity,” said Gehrke, a fifth-year senior. “Stevie and I are getting the bulk of the reps, and it’s good for Stevie because he’s young, so he’s getting more comfortable with the offense. I’m thinking it’s a great opportunity for both of us.”

… Co-offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren on Gehrke … “He brings experience. Experience is a huge asset to bring to any team”, Lindgren said. “It’s been a great opportunity to showcase what he can do and get more comfortable with the system and get a head start on those other two guys (Liufau and Webb).

“I think he’s come out with the attitude that he’s going to be open to learning new things.”

Senior transfer Davis Webb is still in school in Lubbock, but came to Boulder for his spring break to watch a week of spring practices.

… Davis Webb on his familiarity with CU’s offense … “That’s the biggest thing,” he said. “Looking around at a lot of places in the SEC and Pac-12, I didn’t really know the offense. This is very similar to Texas Tech’s. It would have been kind of hard to come into a place without having spring ‘reps. I feel like I’ll have a pretty good (grasp) of this coming back here this summer.”

That’s what the Buffs are hoping. He and Chiaverini were close in Lubbock and Webb admitted “Chev’s” presence on the CU staff was “instrumental.” Plus, when Webb suffered a 2014 shoulder injury in September against Oklahoma, he said Chiaverini offered constant encouragement.

“He told me I just had to keep working, that success is never a straight line, it’s very squiggly,” Webb recalled. “But at the end of the day, he said hard work can get you to the top. That’s a good outlook to have. I really respect ‘Coach Chev’ and that’s why I came here. I wasn’t coming on blind faith, I knew him and knew I would be given a chance to compete here.”

… Darrin Chiaverini says Webb “knows this offense better than any of us. He’ll be like a coach on the field.” Webb arrives on campus this summer.

Finally, while not able to participate in drills this spring, incumbent starter Sefo Liufau remains a presence. Chiaverini said Liufau, who is recovering from a Lisfranc (mid-foot) injury, is spending spring practices signaling in plays. “So he’ll understand it. We’re going to be pretty good when this thing comes together.”

Coming Sunday … Running backs …

—–

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back