What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU coaches - Who Should Stay and Who Should Go

Adams did a very poor job this year. So did every other offensive coach. Even Chiv’s group was very disappointing. We need some new blood and we need a new HC to identify such. I’m not holding my breath as I think we are stuck with MikeMac.

You just can’t have your coach saying your offense and offensive line are going to be amazing and then have them finish next to last. Very poor coaching, all around.

We just completed a 2-7 conference season. Nobody did a good job.
I don’t know if I agree with that. Have you seen the numbers on our special teams? Some people can do a good job on a underperforming team, that is true in football and In the real world.

Adams did a very poor job this year. So did every other offensive coach. Even Chiv’s group was very disappointing. We need some new blood and we need a new HC to identify such. I’m not holding my breath as I think we are stuck with MikeMac.

You just can’t have your coach saying your offense and offensive line are going to be amazing and then have them finish next to last. Very poor coaching, all around.
I don't think we could get a good OC to work with a control freak like MMac. The best we could hope for is a G5 rising star...which unfortunately is what Lindgren looked like coming in here.
The more I think and talk about this, I see Mac as the problem. Hope I'm wrong but he seems too controlling, too pro-senior, too tolerant of bad staff and bad recruiting.

I don’t know if I agree with that. Have you seen the numbers on our special teams? Some people can do a good job on a underperforming team, that is true in football and In the real world.

Yeah, but as far as I'm concerned we need to be looking to upgrade all nine of those spots.

I don't if we could get a good OC to work with a control freak like MMac. The best we could hope for is a G5 rising star...which unfortunately is what Lindgren looked like coming in here.
The more I think and talk about this, I see Mac as the problem. Hope I'm wrong but he seems too controlling, too pro-senior, too tolerant of bad staff and bad recruiting.

Then we need the fine folks down in Oxford to take him off our hands.....

Good staff members are possible becoming available all over the nation. MM should be acting NOW.

Grantham? Napier?

Good staff members are possible becoming available all over the nation. MM should be acting NOW.

Grantham? Napier?
LOL...MikMac acting now, thanks for the laugh.

you are right, but acting now isn't in MikMac's bag of tricks.

The elephant in the room is that the guy who would be hiring any staff replacements has a terrible record of picking assistants. At what point do you stop treating symptoms and address the disease?

Out of the roughly 15 assistants that mikemac has hired since he got here, 4 or 5 have been power 5 level coaches. Perhaps 6 or 7 if shadon brown and ross els turn out to be better than I’ve seen so far. And as much as Id like to discount the rumors that rick george forced MM to hire chav and leavitt, the stark difference in quality between those two and almost every single other hire is hard to ignore.

Kent baer? Toby nienas? Gary bernardi? Jim jeffcoat? Andy larussa? Brian lindgren?

Can you imagine Mac having to replace both coordinators in a single off-season? I'd worry about having a complete staff before next season starts.

Adams is viewed as a solid recruiter because he pulled in the most talented OL group CU has signed in years. He and Chev are the only assistants who have been mentioned by recruits, and they’re the only ones with a track record of success. Adams is fair game for his position coaching job this year, but what about last years job? I’m fine with taking a holistic look at the staff and making changes, but Adams, Chev and Els are the absolute least of the concerns.

The elephant in the room is that the guy who would be hiring any staff replacements has a terrible record of picking assistants. At what point do you stop treating symptoms and address the disease?

Out of the roughly 15 assistants that mikemac has hired since he got here, 4 or 5 have been power 5 level coaches. Perhaps 6 or 7 if shadon brown and ross els turn out to be better than I’ve seen so far. And as much as Id like to discount the rumors that rick george forced MM to hire chav and leavitt, the stark difference in quality between those two and almost every single other hire is hard to ignore.

Kent baer? Toby nienas? Gary bernardi? Jim jeffcoat? Andy larussa? Brian lindgren?

If Rick George micromanaging MacIntyre on assistant coach hiring and firing brought Leavitt and Chiaverini, then thats what needs to happen again.

Adams is viewed as a solid recruiter because he pulled in the most talented OL group CU has signed in years. He and Chev are the only assistants who have been mentioned by recruits, and they’re the only ones with a track record of success. Adams is fair game for his position coaching job this year, but what about last years job? I’m fine with taking a holistic look at the staff and making changes, but Adams, Chev and Els are the absolute least of the concerns.

Then maybe you give Adams Tight Ends as a position responsibility and go get a better O-Line coach. Chev HAS to stay-he's too critical a piece in our recruiting to be canned, as disappointing as his position group was this season. Els can stay. In fact, I'd consider promoting him to Co-DC now. Brown.........meh. If we can upgrade there (Charlton Warren, anyone?), we definitely should, but I'm not looking to necessarily make changes in that spot.

Then maybe you give Adams Tight Ends as a position responsibility and go get a better O-Line coach.
I’m fine with whatever changes are made at this point. Just pointing out the fact that it wasn’t just “a 4* RB that Stanford dropped” that got Adams a good recruiting reputation.

Btw, it’s fun to just say, “move Adams to TEs and go get a real OL coach”, when money is no concern, but a “real” OL coach is going to cost about what CU likes to pay its coordinators. Not happening.

I’m fine with whatever changes are made at this point. Just pointing out the fact that it wasn’t just “a 4* RB that Stanford dropped” that got Adams a good recruiting reputation.

Btw, it’s fun to just say, “move Adams to TEs and go get a real OL coach”, when money is no concern, but a “real” OL coach is going to cost about what CU likes to pay its coordinators. Not happening.

Not really-Look at Adams' biography. The last time Adams had had the offensive line as a position responsibility prior to last year was 2010 at Sac State.........He had TE's his entire time at SJSU and the first three years this staff was here......so that would apply.

Leavitt.......Chiaverini........who else? Clark? He rode Leavitt's coattails to Oregon. Walters? Coaching in the group of 5 right now.

Leavitt.......Chiaverini........who else? Clark? He rode Leavitt's coattails to Oregon. Walters? Coaching in the group of 5 right now.
I was being as charitable as possible to mikemac. Troy walters and charles clark would be the other two. My overall point is that mike macintire sucks at hiring coaches, and hence we can either hope he gets it right at some point by accident or we can get a head coach that can hire a P5 staff.

As mm also sucks at game management, doesnt get special teams, doesnt understand recruiting at this level, and doesnt appear to be able to motivate either assistants or players to improve, we are going to be making this move eventually. Hopefully MM saves us the trouble and gets either the ole miss job or the msu job.

Like what I’ve seen of s brown, d haggan, and els on ST.

We’ve got some deadweight assistants...that’s always the case, but do we have enough intensity in this culture?

I agree that Jeffcoat must go. If we had a decent DL this season, we’d be in a bowl game no ifs or buts about it. Last year’s DL wasn’t recruited by Jeffcoat right? If I’m correct, Jeffcoat needs to be GONE!

Some of you calling for Adams’ head...didn’t he recruit some good OL? You can’t say the same about Jeffcoat in that regard.

Eliot would cost too much money to buy out for a coordinator less than a year after the state gifted us with the ability to offer multi year contracts for everyone. I’m afraid politics will get in the way in this case.

I’m ready for Lindgren to go but is Chev really ready to be the man at OC?

Keep in mind that CU’s schedule is favorable next season and HCMM might use next season to get a ticket out of town. Another season like this season pretty much will result in HCMM getting axed after next season.

We are getting an extra coach next season so don’t get your hopes up too much on anyone besides Jeffcoat.

Read Buffzone and found out that Lindgren had the 11th best offense in the PAC for like the third or fourth time in his tenure at CU...him and Jeffcoat really needs to go!

Coming out of a bye week, must win game, and totally laying an egg is a coaching staff problem. Too many problems on both sides of the ball to list. But penalties, mental errors, and an unmotivated team all point right back to the staff. And the staff is the HC responsibility. Keep losing like this, recruits will stay away, rinse repeat.

The OL was the biggest disappointment on the team this year yet very little noise about replacing Adams with a real OL coach. During fall camp CU coaches and the athletic department were touting the OL, saying that they are comparable with the great OLs from the early 1990’s. Touting the depth as being great. The OL was average, a 5-7 quality OL.

Why is Adams getting a free pass? The OL was overpowered all season, why is the strength coach getting a free pass?

Adams recruited a 4* player that Stanford dropped two years ago and for some reason he is now a good recruiter. Adams might be a good recruiter relative to other coaches on the CU staff but he is not a good recruiter relative to the coaches on the staffs of the teams that CU plays.

To much groupthink going on. The lazy answer is Bernardi, Jeffcoat, and Lindgren then call it a day. A hard look at the staff shows that the lack of quality on the staff is much deeper than those three.
I'm open to Adams moving on. I don't think he's at the top of the list of problems. But his group did not perform and his recruiting, while not spectacular, is kind of a "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king" sort of thing when compared to the rest of the staff other than Chev.

So, with the ability to sign assistants to longer than 1 year contracts, what are the buyout terms for our assistants?

I'm open to Adams moving on. I don't think he's at the top of the list of problems. But his group did not perform and his recruiting, while not spectacular, is kind of a "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king" sort of thing when compared to the rest of the staff other than Chev.
Learning some of our assistant coaches are blind would certainly explain a lot.

If we are discussing a HC change then all coaches should be eligible for replacement. If you want someone who is the real deal to come in you dont hamstring them with conditions about people theyve never met or worked with.

HC: Mike MacIntyre
O-Coordinators: Darrin Chiaverini and Brian Lindgren
D-Coordinator: DJ Eliot
O-Line: Klayton Adams
Tight Ends: Gary Bernardi
Secondary: ShaDon Brown
Linebackers: Ross Els
Running Backs: Darian Hagen
D-Line: Jim Jeffcoat
MM and Eliot are not going anywhere, it’s just a question of money and timing. Any kind of firing will be at the close of the 2019 season unless they are signed by another team. I think Adams and Jeffcoat need to go just because the line play was so terrible. Not a fan of what Lindgren is showing as an offense.

No problem with Hagen, Chiv, and Bernardi.

Stuck with the feeling that even though next years schedule is favorable to a 6-6 year; we will see the same level of production from key units (OL/DL and LB).

On a side note: I knew we were screwed this year after the CSU game, UNC solidified how bad it was going to be. Without 3 to 4 coaching changes, it’s just going to be 2017 all over again.

To be fair, Jeffcoat looked really good on paper.

Back