What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU coaches - Who Should Stay and Who Should Go

Because So Cal is the path to winning the Pac-12 South. Looking at Clemson recruiting is not particularly useful.

Going away from the core footprint just seems like spreading resources out for not a lot of payoff.

Youre missing my point. Its the model-yes California and Texas need to be core to what we do, but we also need to think out of the box and widen things. Why not go into NOLA for talent if we can find a point assistant there?

Eliot is a hard one, he inherited a bad situation, but I know he was a UK castoff.

His defense appears to be a 2 gap 3-4, which we don’t have the personnel for, and the fact that they never realized that is indictment enough. Absolutely asinine they didn’t get it after our dL got pushed back 2 yards every play and our lbs weren’t big or good enough to fill the gaps. Chalkboard coaches are the worst—“well this has to work because I wrote the x’s and o’s“. No, it doesn’t, moron.

Youre missing my point. Its the model-yes California and Texas need to be core to what we do, but we also need to think out of the box and widen things. Why not go into NOLA for talent if we can find a point assistant there?

The times when CU has widened their footprint too much has led to poor results.

New Orleans is fine for the right assistant, but what @White_Rabbit was getting at is hiring several new coaches outside the core area basically defeats the purpose of having a core. You lose focus with limited resources.

Two things-One, half this staff has a Mountain West/WAC background still. Every offensive assistant other than Chiaverini came with MM five years ago. Enough of that. That conference is garbage. There should be enough power five openings (the secondary market hasn't even started yet) to where we can find quality replacements. Two, we need guys who can recruit. I don't care where they've got connections. If I see Darrin Chiaverini listed as the primary recruiter on give or take half our current commitments, thats a HUGE problem.

I prefer P5 guys as well, but that isn't always going to be the case. My point was, if we are deciding between a guy from Army who recruits wherever Brown recruited vs a guy working at SDSU, get the SDSU guy. If we're deciding between a UCLA castoff or a Purdue castoff, get the UCLA castoff. (not a dig on Brown or Els really, they're alright hires, but they haven't exactly rolled in and lit the recruiting world on fire). Given the turnover in the P12 this year, I'm all for raiding the UCLA/ASU/OSU staffs. But it's a mistake to simply discount MWC guys simply because Mac's guys have been meh.

I'm not opposed to NOLA recruiting, although Embree sent EB the legend in there and we didn't get ****, but it should be an extension of Houston recruiting. So basically group that in with TX recruiting. I'm just not down with hiring people with southeast connections or northeast or midwest or wherever, I don't give a **** what Clemson is recruiting. They can walk into any living room in the country and get guys. We can't.

I prefer P5 guys as well, but that isn't always going to be the case. My point was, if we are deciding between a guy from Army who recruits wherever Brown recruited vs a guy working at SDSU, get the SDSU guy. If we're deciding between a UCLA castoff or a Purdue castoff, get the UCLA castoff. (not a dig on Brown or Els really, they're alright hires, but they haven't exactly rolled in and lit the recruiting world on fire). Given the turnover in the P12 this year, I'm all for raiding the UCLA/ASU/OSU staffs. But it's a mistake to simply discount MWC guys simply because Mac's guys have been meh.

I'm not opposed to NOLA recruiting, although Embree sent EB the legend in there and we didn't get ****, but it should be an extension of Houston recruiting. So basically group that in with TX recruiting. I'm just not down with hiring people with southeast connections or northeast or midwest or wherever, I don't give a **** what Clemson is recruiting. They can walk into any living room in the country and get guys. We can't.

Agree with this, although I've always thought CU could pull a few guys out of the Midwest. Plenty of Chicago and Michigan kids come out here, and just like a few wise kids in Texas are interested in something outside the state, surely a few Midwest kids would rather play games in the PAC than in Wisconsin, illinois, and Michigan. Not going to beat OSU or Michigan for most of them, but for those who want to do something different, there's a big population area that we're closer to than any of our conference foes.

If we're going to spend time and effort outside the PAC+Texas footprint, that's where I'd look.

And our current play caller is not?

Bash Lindgren all you want. I am fine with replacing him.

But have you watched Florida lately? They have been significantly worse than us on offense. Nussmeier would be such a bad choice. All for throwing out names, but let's at least throw out decent choices.

But have you watched Florida lately? They have been significantly worse than us on offense. Nussmeier would be such a bad choice. All for throwing out names, but let's at least throw out decent choices.

Yes. Wouldn't mind him as a QB coach-playcaller? Meh. I think we can do better. We're better off rescuing Doug Meacham from Kansas, and I think he and Chiaverini would work really well together. That's not a bad idea for the 10th assistant-Montez and Lindgren (if god forbid he's still here after silly season) would probably both benefit from it.

Didnt every FL qb get hurt this season though?

Didnt every FL qb get hurt this season though?

2009: 69th
2010: 96th
2011: 25th
2012: 12th
2013: 17th
2014: 111th
2015: 100th
2016: 107th
2017: 109th

Those are the scoring offense ranks for teams he has coordinated for over the last nine years. Aside from that three-year stretch which included two years at Alabama, he has been pretty bad, especially lately.

How about Noel Mazzone?
Or his son as the qb coach and give the playcalling to Chev. Does anyone know how much input Chev had on game day play calling? It's hard to say he deserves the reigns not having a clue as to how good of an OC he is. Also, moving him to OC would take away from recruiting, which is a bigger weakness than Lindgren. Never Mind go with Mazzone sr.

Last edited:
The lack of any news out of CU is weird. Thought we would be in the mix for some new blood. There are a couple that could be let go and it certainly wouldn’t hurt our recruiting!

The lack of any news out of CU is weird. Thought we would be in the mix for some new blood. There are a couple that could be let go and it certainly wouldn’t hurt our recruiting!

Mac should get around to it by Memorial Day. He's busy calling his agent to see if the Middle Tennessee State job opens up.

It's only weird if you actually expect CU to perform like their peers....

Oh, I don't think that's being forgotten. I think that's actually the point...
I get it. My (possibly UBL) point is that MM doesn’t feel the need to go hire any new coaches when there aren’t any openings on the staff. All these other schools are hiring to replace guys.

Wonder if early recruiting period changes the timetable on coaching changes. That said we are losing commits and there are only 1 or 2 coaches here that recruit well anyway.

Sounds like the kid made a great choice for himself in the school he picked. Not sure whose minutes he would be stealing at CU but obsess if you want to.

I get it. My (possibly UBL) point is that MM doesn’t feel the need to go hire any new coaches when there aren’t any openings on the staff. All these other schools are hiring to replace guys.

I think the point is everyone here was wishing we had openings so we can hire guys. There’s a few I’d like gone as much as everyone else. But making a change just to make a change doesn’t always work out for the best.

Back