What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching Discussion

And he lost 3 coaches- for various reasons - last year.what would it be like now if MM had actually done 2-3 additional staff changes last winter. Would the team really have been better right now?

And he lost 3 coaches- for various reasons - last year.what would it be like now if MM had actually done 2-3 additional staff changes last winter. Would the team really have been better right now?
Who cares about right now? This was a lost year either way, thanks to failing to make those changes in previous years - you could have asked the same question in 2014 or 2015 and probably had the same answer but that doesn't change the negative effect it had on 2017. Letting Bernardi and Jeffcoat stay on for another year has only let them do more harm to the future.

That requires dollars or multi year contracts he hasn't had access to. It's not all on MM.
Well actually Eliot was given a multi year contract and is the highest paid assistant in school history so I'm not sure that argument holds water with that hire.

Well actually Eliot was given a multi year contract and is the highest paid assistant in school history so I'm not sure that argument holds water with that hire.
We had the 1 available multi year to give to Elliot. The other 5 were already being used. Now that limit doesn't exist with the change in state law.

We had the 1 available multi year to give to Elliot. The other 5 were already being used. Now that limit doesn't exist with the change in state law.
That's fine, but the point is that all the stars aligned last off-season to make an inspired DC hire:
-good budget to work with
-multi year contract to offer
-brand new football facilities
-team was coming off a 10-win season and a division championship
-stout defense the year before
-solid incoming recruiting class
-and the HC just won every national coach of the year award out there

We got DJ Eliot. He may end up surprising a lot of us and making Mac look like a genius, but I'm not holding my breath. Not being able to attract really strong candidates last year I think gives people (myself included) some concern that for some reason top assistants don't want to work for Mac.

Until we become consistently successful (Top 15) it will be hard to pull elite recruits out of the Pacific Time Zone or TX/OK on a repeatable basis. The Colorado front range is only a moderately sized population cluster in the middle of a "people desert".

I know that many here don't want the Buffs to overemphasize JUCOs, but this staff has shown an ability to find them and get them in, and it's one area in which we can compete or even have an advantage over a lot of the programs that look for them. I'm for purposefully emphasizing that area while we seek to consistently improve our cache as a program. In life IMO you look at what's working and you do more of that. Not rocket science.

That's fine, but the point is that all the stars aligned last off-season to make an inspired DC hire:
-good budget to work with
-multi year contract to offer
-brand new football facilities
-team was coming off a 10-win season and a division championship
-stout defense the year before
-solid incoming recruiting class
-and the HC just won every national coach of the year award out there

We got DJ Eliot. He may end up surprising a lot of us and making Mac look like a genius, but I'm not holding my breath. Not being able to attract really strong candidates last year I think gives people (myself included) some concern that for some reason top assistants don't want to work for Mac.
The Tumpkin thing was also blowing up at the time the hire was made and MM's contract was in limbo.

Out of genuine curiosity... given PepsiAddict’s relatively abrupt departure last year, who are the candidates who would’ve been a better fit for our new DC?

Finding a really good DC is extremely difficult IMO. I’m just wondering who would’ve been available and willing to come to Colorado.

Out of genuine curiosity... given PepsiAddict’s relatively abrupt departure last year, who are the candidates who would’ve been a better fit for our new DC?

Finding a really good DC is extremely difficult IMO. I’m just wondering who would’ve been available and willing to come to Colorado.
Tim deruyter? Cal didn’t fire dykes until later too.

The Tumpkin thing was also blowing up at the time the hire was made and MM's contract was in limbo.
Anyone could see the Tumpkin thing was his own issue and not evidence of a problem within the program. The contract was waiting on CUs ridiculous investigation, but again Mac was coach of the year - he was getting an extension.

I read about DeRuyter a lot here. If I recall correctly, he was already the favorite for the Cal job even when Sonny D was at the helm. Given his connections to Cali, I think he may have wanted to stay out there, but who know if we could’ve convinced him otherwise. He seems like someone HCMM spoke with but didn’t get an interested vibe. Would be interested to learn more.

As for Eliot... his big positive is supposed to be recruiting. His connections in the Southeast are interesting. We’ll see what impact Eliot can have on the recruiting trail. He is coaching a unit that had to replace eight starters from last season.

Tim deruyter? Cal didn’t fire dykes until later too.

I'm hoping Eliot will still work but I'm not counting on it. A few others just needed to be gone yesterday imho. Mac isn't gonna do that type **** though.

If you guys had to guess, in the locker room at halftime, who is the offense meeting with? What would be your expectation?

I ask, because the answer may surprise you, it surprised me.

If you guys had to guess, in the locker room at halftime, who is the offense meeting with? What would be your expectation?

As an offensive unit, I’d imagine Chev at first and then Lindgren once he gets down there from the box. Then they split up to position groups. You sound like you’ve spoken to someone though.

Do tell. Could be anyone, including Bernardi. Last year it was Tumpkin who did that for the defense and made our halftime adjustments.

CU could have paid Leavitt 2 mill to stay and he'd be having a similar season that Eliot is having. Leavitt knew this and jumped. Good for him. Cash in while you still can.

If, as most agree, good players trump good coaching then why are we talking about Leavitt? A lot of people are contradicting themselves wrt Eliot and the recruiting vs coaching tradeoff. I think MM went after a guy that is becoming a very good recruiter and still needs some help with becoming a good D coord. If he were adept at both, CU wouldn't have gotten a sniff. If he were astonishing at 1 or the other he still probably would not have seriously entertained an offer from "Fluke" CU.

We landed a good crop of LB's in 2017. When was the last time we hauled in a crop of guys like Callier, Sparaco, Van Diest, Landman, Newman, and Wells at the LB position? I know I know you're all gonna say Eliot didn't recruit those guys, but if we blame Jeffcooat and Bernardi for the dearth of recruits at their positions then give Eliot credit for the wealth.

I still believe that Eliot will work out if only because of the recruiting potential and the reality of being groomed by MM for coordinating a D.

CU could have paid Leavitt 2 mill to stay and he'd be having a similar season that Eliot is having. Leavitt knew this and jumped. Good for him. Cash in while you still can.

If, as most agree, good players trump good coaching then why are we talking about Leavitt? A lot of people are contradicting themselves wrt Eliot and the recruiting vs coaching tradeoff. I think MM went after a guy that is becoming a very good recruiter and still needs some help with becoming a good D coord. If he were adept at both, CU wouldn't have gotten a sniff. If he were astonishing at 1 or the other he still probably would not have seriously entertained an offer from "Fluke" CU.

We landed a good crop of LB's in 2017. When was the last time we hauled in a crop of guys like Callier, Sparaco, Van Diest, Landman, Newman, and Wells at the LB position? I know I know you're all gonna say Eliot didn't recruit those guys, but if we blame Jeffcooat and Bernardi for the dearth of recruits at their positions then give Eliot credit for the wealth.

I still believe that Eliot will work out if only because of the recruiting potential and the reality of being groomed by MM for coordinating a D.
I think I disagree with just about everything in this post.

I'm still trying to understand where Eliot's recruiting rep comes from - haven't seen it yet.

Jeffcoat and Bernardi have been here 5 years so yes it's fair to blame them for dearth of talent at their positions without giving Eliot credit for last year's LB class that he didn't recruit - are you serious with that? And I think you're the first person ever to describe us having a "wealth" of talent at the LB position.

I remain unconvinced about Eliot. The hire was done out of convenience, IMO. He was terrible at Kentucky and so far has been terrible here.

Given the choice between replacing Eliot and replacing Jeffcoat, I'd replace Eliot.

Bernardi is just taking up space at this point.

I remain unconvinced about Eliot. The hire was done out of convenience, IMO. He was terrible at Kentucky and so far has been terrible here.

Given the choice between replacing Eliot and replacing Jeffcoat, I'd replace Eliot.

Bernardi is just taking up space at this point.
I think the hire was done more out of necessity. Because it took so long, I suspect dialog was had with other preferred coaches but they didn't pan out. If so, it's not a good look. I have no hard data to support this, so it's purely speculation on my part. It just doesn't make sense that so much time went by and Eliot was the ultimate choice.

I think I disagree with just about everything in this post.

I'm still trying to understand where Eliot's recruiting rep comes from - haven't seen it yet.

Jeffcoat and Bernardi have been here 5 years so yes it's fair to blame them for dearth of talent at their positions without giving Eliot credit for last year's LB class that he didn't recruit - are you serious with that? And I think you're the first person ever to describe us having a "wealth" of talent at the LB position.
The only thing with last year's class at LB is that with Landman, Newman and Sparaco teams were trying poach late and CU held onto them. Some credit to the staff in general for that. My hunch would be that most of the credit there would go to Chev and MacIntyre.

The only thing with last year's class at LB is that with Landman, Newman and Sparaco teams were trying poach late and CU held onto them. Some credit to the staff in general for that. My hunch would be that most of the credit there would go to Chev and MacIntyre.
Considering Eliot wasn't hired until about 5 minutes before signing day, I agree.

Allow me to explain: Jeffcoat is mediocre, while Eliot is disastrous.

I'll choose mediocre over disastrous every time, but that doesn't mean I'll be thrilled about it.

Back