What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching Discussion

I think I disagree with just about everything in this post.

I'm still trying to understand where Eliot's recruiting rep comes from - haven't seen it yet.

Jeffcoat and Bernardi have been here 5 years so yes it's fair to blame them for dearth of talent at their positions without giving Eliot credit for last year's LB class that he didn't recruit - are you serious with that? And I think you're the first person ever to describe us having a "wealth" of talent at the LB position.

Not wealth at position but wealth within 2017 class at position.

Serious until proven otherwise. Who recruited them?

Not wealth at position but wealth within 2017 class at position.

Serious until proven otherwise. Who recruited them?
Eliot was hired 2 weeks before signing day - how are you going to give him credit for anything that happened with last year's class?

You really don't see the difference between assistants being here 5 years versus 2 weeks when it comes to the makeup of the current roster?

I see the difference. I don't think you do. Jeffcoat and Bernardi have had ample opportunity and have failed to recruit.

Give Eliot credit for hanging on or give him no credit, but don't throw him in with the likes of Jeffcoat and Bernardi as far as recruiting.

And given the current roster Buddy Ryan would not get a whole lot out of this defense.

Last edited:
I see the difference. I don't think you do. Jeffcoat and Bernardi have had ample opportunity and have failed to recruit.

Give Eliot credit for hanging on or give him no credit, but don't throw him in with the likes of Jeffcoat and Bernardi as far as recruiting.
I'm giving him no credit - he wasn't here long enough to make a difference, but you said this...
I know I know you're all gonna say Eliot didn't recruit those guys, but if we blame Jeffcooat and Bernardi for the dearth of recruits at their positions then give Eliot credit for the wealth.
So you're saying that if we blame guys who have been here 5 years for lack of talent at their positions, then we should give credit to a guy who was here for 2 weeks for any talent at his position? I'll ask again, are you serious with this?

OMG, nevermind, I'll just not comment any further on this subject. I'll say this, I'm thankful some here don't get to make staff hires and fires, hallelujah.

I'm not high on Jeffcoat, but I do think Eliot is worthless. Horrible hire. Need to cut bait on that as quick as possible. I see no upside to having Eliot on this staff.

If you guys had to guess, in the locker room at halftime, who is the offense meeting with? What would be your expectation?

I ask, because the answer may surprise you, it surprised me.

I'm gonna guess Ralphie. Or maybe this lady
images

If you guys had to guess, in the locker room at halftime, who is the offense meeting with? What would be your expectation?

I ask, because the answer may surprise you, it surprised me.
Hey, don't tease! I'm gonna guess Bernardi and Lindgren.

The only info I have is Chev ripping into the offense at half time of one of the OOC games so I would guess him but maybe Adams? Which doesn't seem all that bad since he seems like the most intense coach on the staff.

I'm giving him no credit - he wasn't here long enough to make a difference, but you said this...

So you're saying that if we blame guys who have been here 5 years for lack of talent at their positions, then we should give credit to a guy who was here for 2 weeks for any talent at his position? I'll ask again, are you serious with this?

Yes, serious if you simply attribute a recruiter's success based on the players at the position he coaches. I've seen some posts on AB that use this as a measurement.

No, not serious if you dig deeper and look at who was the primary recruiter of a given individual.

For example Leavitt recruited pokie maka as both his primary recruiter and his position coach. Leavit gets full credit for having brought pookie here.

Leavitt also gets full credit for having coached up a lot of NFL talent in their Senior season last year. He also gets full credit for the dismal showing by the oregon defense this year.

My main point: It's not accurate to neg rep Eliot as a recruiter until we've got some evidence here at CU. Secondarily, Leavit would make little difference with this year's defense. And lastly, the CFB world including Rich Rod (and all P12 defensive coordinators), did not know what Khalil Tate was until he blew up a few weeks ago. That was not a fluky performance vs CU. He is that good and requires a specific plan that cannot just be handled by making a few halftime adjustments.

Yes, serious if you simply attribute a recruiter's success based on the players at the position he coaches. I've seen some posts on AB that use this as a measurement.

No, not serious if you dig deeper and look at who was the primary recruiter of a given individual.

For example Leavitt recruited pokie maka as both his primary recruiter and his position coach. Leavit gets full credit for having brought pookie here.

Leavitt also gets full credit for having coached up a lot of NFL talent in their Senior season last year. He also gets full credit for the dismal showing by the oregon defense this year.

My main point: It's not accurate to neg rep Eliot as a recruiter until we've got some evidence here at CU. Secondarily, Leavit would make little difference with this year's defense. And lastly, the CFB world including Rich Rod (and all P12 defensive coordinators), did not know what Khalil Tate was until he blew up a few weeks ago. That was not a fluky performance vs CU. He is that good and requires a specific plan that cannot just be handled by making a few halftime adjustments.
If you think I'm being unfair to Eliot, too bad. The guy was a pretty awful DC at a bottom feeder SEC school and somehow fell up into this job. People talk about him being a solid recruiter and I'm still at a loss to see where that reputation comes from. I'm not sure yet what he does well, maybe in time we'll find out.

Anyone that says Leavitt is doing a dismal job with Oregon's defense loses all credibility regarding knowledge of football. How exactly is DRASTICALLY increasing a team's defensive ranking over the prior season during his first year "doing a dismal job"?

That Oregon defense last season looked like as much of a clownshow as our defense does this season. Goes to show how quickly a good defensive coordinator can make a positive impact. Or how quickly an absolutely ****ty defensive coordinator can ruin a defense.

I don't even think Eliot is the main problem. We've had god awful defenses under MacIntyre, since he's gotten here, outside of the 2 seasons Leavitt was here, who he notoriously clashed and disagreed with. What's the common denominator? I'm not sure you can even label him a "defensive minded head coach". He has what, 2 years of experience as a defensive coordinator in his entire career? I mean, when the reporters ask "what could you have done to slow down Khalil Tate" in the postgame and he answers "there's nothing you can do", that's concerning for me. I guarantee Leavitt would have thought of something besides "let him run 80 yards untouched every time"

Last edited:
The answer is Klayton Adams....

On the D it is Eliot.
Well that is because the Klayton is a former center, and centers are usually the smartest guys on the field ;). Also makes sense because the line coach needs to make adjustments to blocking schemes, which involves every position and Klayton has coached 3 position groups in his time here. Plus O-line coaches are good at yelling and have a broad vocabulary of 4 letter words to effectively get points across. I would guess that Lindgren and Chiaverini are busy going over play calling adjustments with Bernardi. Hagan, probably just hangs back with Adams.

On Defense, Eliot has coached every position and he is the one running the defense.

The answer is Klayton Adams....

On the D it is Eliot.
Definitely makes sense. I figured Chev would lead the initial, general conversation to the offense until Lindgren got down there from the booth, but the majority of the adjustments that need to be made (especially with this team) involve the OL. Routes are routes, reads are reads, but adjusting to the different fronts, blitzes, stunts, etc the defense is showing is the key.

OL usually has the best sense of what will work and what won’t based on who they can block, where they’ll struggle and how long they can protect. Plus, as said, most of the scheme adjustments and checks are going to happen there.

So is Mac coaching this week, or did RG read this thread and make a move? I'm surprised there had been no announcement.

Agreed, makes some sense, but do the WR's, QB's, RB's have no sense of what will work, based on what they are seeing. Found it very surprising.

Can we rename this thread?

There's decent conversation and valid points made in here, but the name makes it stupid.

How about we call it "Yet another argue about the coaching staff thread"?

Back