What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching & Support Staff Moves

I think Howell is misrepresenting what happened. It was reported that Prime met with each coach individually. Perhaps there was some speculation about which coaches were coming with him, but he is being deliberately misleading about "his favorite coaching staff to cover" finding out they weren't being retained via Twitter.
He's said that before-they were way more open than Dorrell or MacIntyre were. I don't remember Mel Tucker giving Howell and Adam anymore access than was absolutely necessary, but I could be wrong.

Either way-I think its a silly thing to talk about. They're all going to be just fine-we're paying them almost $4m as a group to go away.

Sure it can. You meet with the coaches 1:1, or at least have a phone call, early on. Or call into that coaches staff meeting that supposedly happened Sunday morning. Undoubtedly Prime had his mind made up about this probably before he even said yes to the offer.
No. It can't work that way.

There were no serious leaks of anything approaching official information out there but rumors until Saturday.

If RG personally told every AC on, say, Tuesday that they were going to be let go, do you really think that it wouldn't have leaked? A wife, a kid, or even an upset AC himself would have done something to let the cat out of the bag.

And then RG would be scrambling to deny without denying, etc, etc - just possibly scuttling the whole deal.

And yes, to get ahead of rumors, it would have needed to happen early last week.

It might work the way you describe in a little coal mining office in bum****, NC, but meanwhile in the real world of P5 college football, it's impossible for it to go down the way you want - pearl clutching isn't necessary.

It hasn't been spelled out, and Howell on Twitter isn't sure, but is Turley in or out? For someone who had such a great rep as a S&C coach, he sure turned into an enigma.

It hasn't been spelled out, and Howell on Twitter isn't sure, but is Turley in or out? For someone who had such a great rep as a S&C coach, he sure turned into an enigma.
You misspelled enema.

Last edited:

the-simpsons-lisa-simpson.gif

No. It can't work that way.

There were no serious leaks of anything approaching official information out there but rumors until Saturday.

If RG personally told every AC on, say, Tuesday that they were going to be let go, do you really think that it wouldn't have leaked? A wife, a kid, or even an upset AC himself would have done something to let the cat out of the bag.

And then RG would be scrambling to deny without denying, etc, etc - just possibly scuttling the whole deal.

And yes, to get ahead of rumors, it would have needed to happen early last week.

It might work the way you describe in a little coal mining office in bum****, NC, but meanwhile in the real world of P5 college football, it's impossible for it to go down the way you want - pearl clutching isn't necessary.
Who said anything about Tuesday? If you have to exaggerate to make a point, you don't have a valid point. If your replacement is walking around in the same building after flying across the country, there was time to have a 60 second phone call or conversation first.

In the end, it isn't a huge deal I'm sure they expected to go and are getting paid. But it doesn't mean it was done with class.

It's been strange how he's advocated for certain things during this search. First with Mendenhall and now the old staff. Seems like he's taking things more personally now for whatever reason. I'm sure he's tired of watching losing football like all of us, but Bronco and Sanford ain't it.
He's a poverty reporter who got by when this was a poverty program. Now that things are escalating I'm sure he realizes he's going to be at the absolute bottom of the pecking order among the media covering this rocket ship.

Who said anything about Tuesday? If you have to exaggerate to make a point, you don't have a valid point. If your replacement is walking around in the same building after flying across the country, there was time to have a 60 second phone call or conversation first.

In the end, it isn't a huge deal I'm sure they expected to go and are getting paid. But it doesn't mean it was done with class.
The reason I said Tuesday was because the original complaint wasn't "replacement walking around building," but "first heard through twitter."

And my point all along was that it is impossible to get ahead of twitter rumors, and consequently it's not really a valid complaint; it's just normal bitching that's to be expected after losing your job.

Because you can just imagine Coach Prime looking at him with incedulity as he asks a stupid question thinking to himself, "This lump has never played a sport in his damn life."
there's been a ton of sports media people who are succesful despite lack of playing experience. I always go back to Steven Smith, who played (IIRC) two years of DII basketball, yet has a lucrative career making hyper-critical comments about NBA and NFL players.

there's been a ton of sports media people who are succesful despite lack of playing experience. I always go back to Steven Smith, who played (IIRC) two years of DII basketball, yet has a lucrative career making hyper-critical comments about NBA and NFL players.
Sure, but I'm speaking specifically about Howell.

I suppose it's because I never specifically saw the results, nor heard it talked about "this is what having Turley on your staff can do". I do realize you can't put lipstick on a pig, but just the same, for all the results we were told he got at Stanford and how much he did for their program you'd think we would have heard or seen a bit more. Could I be way off base, sure I can, just my observation.

Last edited:
I suppose it's because I never specifically saw the results, nor heard it talked about "this is what having Turley on your staff can do". I do realize you can't put lipstick on a pig, but just the same, for all the results we were told he got a Stanford and how much he did for their program you'd think we would have heard or seen a bit more. Could I be way off base, sure I can, just my observation.

Fair. Not saying he did a good job (not possible for anyone to have that designation in a 1-11 season IMO), just not sure he was given much to work with either.

I'll work on it tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Really hard to keep track. My list thus far:

Head Coach Prime

OC Sean Lewis (former HC Kent State)
OL Bill O’Boyle (Kent State OL)
TE Tim Brewster (JSU, former HC Minnesota)
QB unknown (Bret Bartolone speculated, maybe Lewis)
WR unknown (maybe Willie Taggart, former HC FSU and Oregon and Western Kentucky)
RB unknown (maybe Taggart, maybe current JSU RB coach Gary “Flea” Harrell)

DC unknown (mentioned former Vikings HC Mike Zimmer, Alabama DB coach Charles Kelly)
DL Nick Williams (Texas A$M analyst)
LB Andre Hart (JSU same position)
S Dennis Thurman (JSU)
CB Kevin Mathis (JSU)

Special Teams ?
Coordinator of Player Personnel David Kelly (formerly Florida Atlantic U)
Chief of Staff Ray Forsett
Somewhere Darian Hagan

Others mentioned as possibilities - Tony Alford (Ohio State, seems unlikely now); Travaris Robinson

I think the bolded are certain, others guesses.

Last edited:
I call bull****. Pretty sure in some manner they were informed other than social media. Urban legend. Plus, Howell is still a chump, so there's that...
anyone have an in? this needs to either be corroborated as fact or retracted

Back