What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Buffs on deck.
David Boreanaz Sealteam GIF by CBS

Sounds like it’s a legitimate report. The West Virginia rando said CU and Arizona are the two schools that will be invited to the Big 12 in early August. Utah and ASU might be but are revenue neutral or net negative but could be invited in order to force OR/UW to also come.

Who would Pac want to raid from B12?

L-O-****ing-L at the last point. The "ability" to provide a 10:30ET game, much like I have the ability to offer Scarlett Johansson approximately 7 of the most mediocre seconds of her life.
It’s a valuable time slot for ESPN, though. People make fun, but those are routinely some of the most viewed games during a given week, simply because it’s the only thing on. Washington State has a ton of 1m+ viewer games over the last 5 years, in large part because they get those time slots.

It’s a valuable time slot for ESPN, though. People make fun, but those are routinely some of the most viewed games during a given week, simply because it’s the only thing on. Washington State has a ton of 1m+ viewer games over the last 5 years, in large part because they get those time slots.
I believe much of the WSU bump came from Friday games and other weird slots. Saturday nights are usually bad in ratings, from what I've seen, but perhaps I'm misremembering.

Stew's Twitter is a mess right now. He's obviously worried, being a big PAC homer, and is even arguing with internet randos who don't agree with him.

I think this looks bad for the PAC right now. I would be happy to be wrong. But the PAC supposedly getting initial media projections from ESPN over the weekend and the Big XII immediately walking away from the possibility of a merger seems to say those projections weren't good, even by (new) Big XII standards.

We are still in the medium ****ed group. So we can laugh at the oregon states of the world while the Oregons laugh at us and the uscs don’t give us another thought.

So if the Big 12 goes to 16…will it be properly called the Big Sixteen? Or is math hard for flatlanders?

Whatever happens, don’t for a second think it’s the last move.
The networks and the schools will ultimately need to rationalize time zones, travel, and tv markets on a more holistic scale.

The issue for us is whether we can “make the cut” into the revised tourney power format. I feel ok about it if it is ultimately around 64 teams… less ok if if it is 48 teams. We are clearly ahead on brand and markets of some of the other on the cusp programs but we are also behind a good chunk and have stepped on our own dicks with extreme violence for a couple of decades.

at 64, you regroup into 6 team pods geographically distributed and flex schedule with playoffs and such. The student athletes get less ****ed especially in the non-football sports and everything works better. And you have yourself a national product generating interest and eyeballs in every major market and in every time slot. Like the nfl…
burp.

The networks and the schools will ultimately need to rationalize time zones, travel, and tv markets on a more holistic scale.

I think we get to 2-3 power conferences in football and regional conferences for everything else

The issue for us is whether we can “make the cut” into the revised tourney power format. I feel ok about it if it is ultimately around 64 teams… less ok if if it is 48 teams. We are clearly ahead on brand and markets of some of the other on the cusp programs but we are also behind a good chunk and have stepped on our own dicks with extreme violence for a couple of decades.

at 64, you regroup into 6 team pods geographically distributed and flex schedule with playoffs and such. The student athletes get less ****ed especially in the non-football sports and everything works better. And you have yourself a national product generating interest and eyeballs in every major market and in every time slot. Like the nfl…
burp.
64 is not going to happen as long as conferences and schools are playing the prisoners dilemma game of maximizing revenue at the expense of the sport and other conferences. What motivation do the B1G and the SEC have to share their spoils? They can starve everybody else of coaches and talent now with their huge money advantage.

Yep. I'm always getting into arguments on this site about this. Everyone here hates that time slot, but it's valuable to the networks and the Pac is the only conference that can fill that slot.

Yep. I'm always getting into arguments on this site about this. Everyone here hates that time slot, but it's valuable to the networks and the Pac is the only conference that can fill that slot.
Somehow there are a lot of people who can't grasp the concept that while 10:30pm ET is not the most valuable time slot, it is still quite valuable.

Back