What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

the idea that the Pac is the only conference that can play at 10:30 ET is a little crazy. if there's a monetary incentive, I don't see that as an issue for most of the CTZ teams.

You can disagree but that doesn’t change the validity of it or make it crazy
to say it's a non-starter means that no team would even engage in discussion.

that is not the case. this coming year, Baylor vs BYU has a 10:15ET kickoff time. I'm sure if I go through last season's kickoff times, I can find past examples of other CTZ teams willing to do this.

not a "non starter"

I agree w/ your first sentence and disagree with the second.
So, why haven't those teams played in that slot? It seems you're ignoring obvious evidence that refutes your assertion.

Has any non-bowl CFB game ever kicked off at 9:00 p.m. or later?

If the TV partners make it a priority, BYU, which is in the Big XII soon, could fill that time slot. So could the four corners schools in an expanded Big XII.
Im not even sure 8:30 local is sustainable. Maybe once a season before a bye week, but ADs will fight against that so hard.

that is not the case. this coming year, Baylor vs BYU has a 10:15ET kickoff time. I'm sure if I go through last season's kickoff times, I can find past examples of other CTZ teams willing to do this.

not a "non starter"
You know BYU is in the Mountain time zone, right? So that game begins at 8:15 p.m. local time.

not a "non starter"
That’s an 8:15 local kick, hokie. Regularly filling the 10:30 ET slot with CTZ local games IS a non starter.

The ratings game that the national guys played last week when looking at the pac 12 was really unfair, imo. Late games and lots of FS1 slots paints a different picture than reality. Not the most engaged fanbases, but not as bad as they want to make it out to be.

That’s an 8:15 local kick, hokie. Regularly filling the 10:30 ET slot with CTZ local games IS a non starter.
apologies, I took your "non starter" comment to refer to any teams outside the Pac playing at 10ET, not limited to the CTZ teams.

So, why haven't those teams played in that slot? It seems you're ignoring obvious evidence that refutes your assertion.

first, i suspect that those teams have. the answer to wny it doesnt' happen often is that the time slot is not desirable. but I make a big distinction between 'not desirable' and 'non starter'
Has any non-bowl CFB game ever kicked off at 9:00 p.m. or later?
i don't know, but if I was a betting man, I'd wager on the "yes". kickoff times for past years games is not easy to find in a usable manner.

I think if it's distributed across several teams, given the circumstances/ options for these teams, conferences will suck it up if the money is right.
I think the MTZ could fill that slot a couple times a year, but it’s not like CU/UA/ASU/Utah/BYU would be getting extra money to play at 8:30 local.

If the TV partners make it a priority, BYU, which is in the Big XII soon, could fill that time slot. So could the four corners schools in an expanded Big XII.

The AZ schools are in the Pacific time zone until we fall back one hour in the fall so the Big 12 would be a four time zone conference part of the time.

And what's crazy is that if OU & Texas stay in the Big 12 in 2024, that's going to be a 18 team super conference for one season. I hope the Big 12 sends both schools to early September road trips to Tempe & Tucson then late November games in Utah and Colorado.

These reports of shrieking amongst the p12 schools has to be exaggerated. Well, i suppose i can believe that Oregon state is shrieking. But it isn’t like there are no options for most of the league. B12 wants some or a lot of the league. and they can still stick together if necessary on a shorter term deal and see how things shake out in the next round. Things are not good, but this idea that the b12 is somehow in a perfect leverage position doesn’t make any sense to me.

whether they hang together and draw 30sih million a school for a few years or some depart to the big12 and they draw maybe 40ish million per, everyone is still royally ****ed And uncompetitive with the big and sec. Also, if the ca regents **** over ucla, the pac is probably worth enough extra money to close the b12 gap even more.

I don’t understand the narrative coming from the flyover states.

apologies, I took your "non starter" comment to refer to any teams outside the Pac playing at 10ET, not limited to the CTZ teams.
This is why the media folks have been saying the Pac is the only conference that's able to fill that slot. It's the only major conference that has representation in both MTZ and PTZ. Without expansion, the Big 12, and certainly not the B1G or SEC, simply aren't going to agree to have 9:15-9:30pm local kickoffs.

I do think there's a caveat to this that does backup your position a bit, and that's if ESPN wants the flexibility to put any possible matchup from the Big12 in that time slot, and is willing to seriously pay for it. Since we are entering unprecedented times in the sport and the non B1G/SEC conferences are trying to do whatever it takes to squeeze every last $$ out of the networks, I could see a scenario where they agree to fill that slot with CTZ local kicks, but I think the monetary incentive to the conference would have to be pretty sizable.

And, honestly, maybe that's exactly what the Pac/Big12 should be willing to do at this point. Own the night time slots for all of their games.

I can't remember my login to read it. But I agree and have for a long time.

The 3 obstacles have always been:

UCLA & Cal were strongly opposed to admitting a member from the Cal State system

SDSU is an R2 on Carnegie ranks of research intensity. Pretty much everyone in Power Conferences is an R1.

San Diego was considered an owned territory by the Pac and, particularly the LA & AZ schools, didn't want to have to compete harder for recruits there.

I think most of those reasons have either been flushed by recent events of made much less consequential now that it's a matter of survival.

Back