What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

100%.

Football is driving the show. Basketball makes $1b in revenue, but that's all for the NCAA. NCAA isn't involved in realignment. They're screwed. Football is the big money driver. Football gets the TV ratings. The #1 game in college hoops last year was Duke - UNC in Coach K's last home game. It would have been the 56th best football game. College hoops' second best game pulled in the same ratings as Michigan - Rutgers in week 4.

Football is at least 95%. The other 5% is a mash up of hoops, women's hoops, Olympic sports and random things that presidents of universities care about.
This is a very insightful post, thanks goose.

After some cursory research it looks like the thing most correlated with a large bump in academic rankings is a large decrease in acceptance rate. There haven't been many big movers over the last 25 years but Stanford, USC, Texas, UChicago, and WUSTL stand out. I find this interesting as Stanford, USC, and Texas have all had extremely successful football programs within that time period and anecdotally, I received a ton of mail in high school from USC, UChicago, and WUSTL. It seems that marketing is important for application rates and football success is a large part of that. Jack Kroll be damned.
Again, not true. But fun to keep mentioning.
A182BA63-A928-4236-B460-8A7B28010CF8.jpeg

screenshot from USNWR

I don't think it was that long ago USNWR made that change, do there very well may be a correlation looking at recent history
Sweet. But implying that a school can lower acceptance rates and their rankings will increase is not a true statement.
Cause and effect, it appears that higher ranked schools end up with lower acceptance rates, it may not be the other way around. Someone is going to have to show me which happened first.

Surprised nothing has leaked from Regents meeting. Not expecting anything earth shattering but we need something.

If Buffs go 6-6 this year are we still *****ed or is there a newfound optimism?
He said, "6-6."
Nelly Lol GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Is that a serious question? They just lost their two marquee teams for one. Their media situation is every bit as tenuous as ours for another. They’re geographically spread out. None of the schools has any actual allegiance to the league and is only there because they have no other options.

hope you didn’t have to wait too long for that.
They didn’t just lose their two marquee teams, they lost them last year and responded by adding multiple teams, including two in Cincinnati and BYU that would be perennial contenders for the Pac 12 championship.

When the Big 12 was reeling and schools, especially in Texas were exploring jumping the Pac 12 leadership decided to do nothing.

Which is probably not surprising because Larry Scott was the worst commissioner in college football which was obvious to everyone but the Pac 12 ADs for years. It’s hard to imagine they’d replace him with a creative and dynamic thinker with great foresight.

The Pac 12 just lost its two marquee schools and the LA market, the biggest remaining school’s biggest benefactor is literally calling other conferences trying to get Oregon in, and people are debating the merits of adding San Diego State.

The conferences are not in the same place the Pac 12 just got punched in the mouth and is reeling, the Big 12 survived the punch and got back on its feet by taking in the best available schools, including one that just made the college playoff.

CU’s foray into the Pac 12 has been a disaster and I don’t see how the Pac 12 remains viable as a major conference. I think CU should hope they’re allowed to join the Big 12. But they’ll probably stay and then get shafted when Phil Knight finally successfully bribes the Big 10 or SEC to take Oregon and they bolt.

They didn’t just lose their two marquee teams, they lost them last year and responded by adding multiple teams, including two in Cincinnati and BYU that would be perennial contenders for the Pac 12 championship.

When the Big 12 was reeling and schools, especially in Texas were exploring jumping the Pac 12 leadership decided to do nothing.

Which is probably not surprising because Larry Scott was the worst commissioner in college football which was obvious to everyone but the Pac 12 ADs for years. It’s hard to imagine they’d replace him with a creative and dynamic thinker with great foresight.

The Pac 12 just lost its two marquee schools and the LA market, the biggest remaining school’s biggest benefactor is literally calling other conferences trying to get Oregon in, and people are debating the merits of adding San Diego State.

The conferences are not in the same place the Pac 12 just got punched in the mouth and is reeling, the Big 12 survived the punch and got back on its feet by taking in the best available schools, including one that just made the college playoff.

CU’s foray into the Pac 12 has been a disaster and I don’t see how the Pac 12 remains viable as a major conference. I think CU should hope they’re allowed to join the Big 12. But they’ll probably stay and then get shafted when Phil Knight finally successfully bribes the Big 10 or SEC to take Oregon and they bolt.
PAC 12 has been asleep at the wheel.

As you stated the B12 was in a state of confusion and credible sources said that Texas and Oklahoma were seriously looking at moving.

Had the PAC12 at that time made a strong effort it is very likely that they could have added UT and OU to the league. It probably would have meant also taking Oklahoma State and one other school but Oklahoma State has been in the rankings more consistently than any school in the PAC 12 over the past decade with the exception of Oregon (Maybe Utah but I don't think so) so they wouldn't be weakening the brand.

I don't like the idea of being in a conference with Texas but if you add those 3+1 schools to the PAC 12 a few years ago very easy to argue that the PAC would be a clear and strong #3 conference with dominance in the western half of the nation and the Texas and Oklahoma region.

The Longhorn network would have had to be dealt with but again not being stupid the PAC would have offered an equity in the PAC12 Network with UT/OU being one of the regionals. Very likely they could have reworked the deal so that even with even or fairly even distribution of revenues UT would have come out even.

Surprised nothing has leaked from Regents meeting. Not expecting anything earth shattering but we need something.
Nothing leaking is almost more telling than a leak. After the last meetings there were a “this was just an update” statement put out by the schills.

Oh yeah. I’m not taking them for gospel at all.

let me raise a different point in answer to some of the recent posts. I believe that the PAC losing USC and UCLA is a much bigger loss to the PAC than OU UT was to the B12. While OU and UT are/were the two premier teams in the B12 their following, especially OU, was not concentrated. What I mean is that neither team nor both together “owned” media markets even 1/2 the size of LA. OU and UT were replaced by some of the better G5 teams which now denies those same teams to the PAC. What current PAC team is going to do well in the LA market now? Or recruit there? If players from LA didn’t get an invite to UCLA or USC they could go to another PAC team and at least play at home a few times. Where are those same recruits going to go now? I’m a jayhawk and a Husky so is UW going to get LA recruits who arent going to go play in front of their friends and family in LA at all? Or are they going to head to B1G teams?

PAC 12 has been asleep at the wheel.

As you stated the B12 was in a state of confusion and credible sources said that Texas and Oklahoma were seriously looking at moving.

Had the PAC12 at that time made a strong effort it is very likely that they could have added UT and OU to the league. It probably would have meant also taking Oklahoma State and one other school but Oklahoma State has been in the rankings more consistently than any school in the PAC 12 over the past decade with the exception of Oregon (Maybe Utah but I don't think so) so they wouldn't be weakening the brand.

I don't like the idea of being in a conference with Texas but if you add those 3+1 schools to the PAC 12 a few years ago very easy to argue that the PAC would be a clear and strong #3 conference with dominance in the western half of the nation and the Texas and Oklahoma region.

The Longhorn network would have had to be dealt with but again not being stupid the PAC would have offered an equity in the PAC12 Network with UT/OU being one of the regionals. Very likely they could have reworked the deal so that even with even or fairly even distribution of revenues UT would have come out even.
Like the Baylor AD said: Baylor Athletic Director Mack Rhoades: "If you don’t act, you’re going to get acted upon. Right now, the Big 12, we’re in this process of trying to act rather than the opposite."
Pac and CU have a tendency to be acted upon.

let me raise a different point in answer to some of the recent posts. I believe that the PAC losing USC and UCLA is a much bigger loss to the PAC than OU UT was to the B12. While OU and UT are/were the two premier teams in the B12 their following, especially OU, was not concentrated. What I mean is that neither team nor both together “owned” media markets even 1/2 the size of LA. OU and UT were replaced by some of the better G5 teams which now denies those same teams to the PAC. What current PAC team is going to do well in the LA market now? Or recruit there? If players from LA didn’t get an invite to UCLA or USC they could go to another PAC team and at least play at home a few times. Where are those same recruits going to go now? I’m a jayhawk and a Husky so is UW going to get LA recruits who arent going to go play in front of their friends and family in LA at all? Or are they going to head to B1G teams?
What are you drinking.

Yes the B12 has multiple teams left in Texas but combined they draw the attention, TV ratings, or have the reputations of Texas. The only schools in Texas that have even similar clout are A&M which is already gone and Oklahoma which has a lot of alums in Texas and is also going.

So yes, you can talk about the huge media market in Texas but the schools the B12 is losing or has already lost do own that media market.

USC was far and away the biggest media power in the PAC but southern California is full of people from other places (similar to Colorado.) SC and UCLA didn't own that media market is close to the same way as the schools leaving the B12 own Texas.

fwiw, Oregon's been kicking USC's ass in SoCal recruiting and UW was until Jimmy Lake lost his mind.

Maybe you don’t agree that the PAC losing UCLA and USC is worse for the PAc than the B12 losing OU and UT is to the B12 Thats the point. Reasonable people can disagree.

Lots of fans and interest in college football and lots of teams in the State including Baylor/Houston/TCU/Texas Tech and of course Texas and Texas AM. In the City of LA what other college football teams of note are there other than USC and UCLA?

Is that guy like a media guy or just some random fan with apparently amazing sources inside ADs across the country?

Nonetheless, P12 sounds ****ed if much of that is true at all

The UW/UO/Furd/Cal to ACC being shot down by those 4 seems weird, although I can see UW/UO not wanting to sign onto that GOR. They've gotta be hoping something breaks and the B1G decides to go to 18/20 soon

Back