What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

And ITB posts it every damn time.

I'm starting to be convinced that the "Big XII adding the 4 Corners" is the new QAnon for these people. "It's coming, it's just not time yet... it will all be revealed in time and then we will add the four corners!"
Did I mention that there was "nothing new" and that the "article could have be written two months ago" ??
Pay attention.

Cascadia, Sun Region, I’m liking this middle Earth vibe here. White walkers in Canada.

From what some rando tweeted at me said, and he was 100% sure so it’s probably not true, UVA and VT can’t break away from each other. I don’t believe it but there are those who believe flagships and “state” schools have some legal obligation to each other.
@hokiehead ? Do you know? I thought they had chosen to come together, but that there's nothing that legally binds and they don't share regents / board.

@hokiehead ? Do you know? I thought they had chosen to come together, but that there's nothing that legally binds and they don't share regents / board.
nothing I know that is legally binding UVA and VT.

speculation of UVA going to the B1G comes up all the time on VT message boards and never mention of anything like that.

I really like what you’re thinking there. Awesome analysis.

I wish they could keep UVA-UNC together and it’s hard to think of Arizona without Arizona state. But I love the idea of us being added with Arizona. Makes sense to catch both that tv market and the Rockies.

Interesting listen on Pac-12 This Morning. Canzano discussed many things, brief recap:

1. He believes the most likely scenario is tier 1 games on ESPN, with tier 2 games and games formerly on Pac12 network on Apple/Amazon or combination of both. Potentially with Amazon taking a Friday night games, and Saturday on ESPN/Apple.
2. Why so slow in negotiations? One example was when the issue of networks picking certain games comes up, ESPN gets through it in about an hour (because they are used to it), but it takes Apple/Amazon days to a week for their lawyers to comprehend everything.
3. Four corner schools are reluctant to make a "lateral move" to Big 12 for 2 to 5MM more than what Pac expects to agree to.
4. Pac/Acc partnership (not merger) is still a thing, but mostly more because ESPN wants to increase revenue to ACC members.
Interesting, did he say P12 expects 2-5MM less or was that a hypothetical?

Because if it really is $26M that would be atrocious. Not that $31M is impressive, that’s also really bad.

Interesting, did he say P12 expects 2-5MM less or was that a hypothetical?

Because if it really is $26M that would be atrocious. Not that $31M is impressive, that’s also really bad.
He said that the folks he talked with were optimistic it would be more or equal to Big 12. I have my doubts.

The portion about 2 to 5MM less was coming from his conversations with people associated with the schools re: the four corner schools' reluctance to make a lateral move. Such small of a difference isn't worth it for increased travel costs, loss of peer institutions, lack of flexibility moving forward, etc.

He said that the folks he talked with were optimistic it would be more or equal to Big 12. I have my doubts.

The portion about 2 to 5MM less was coming from his conversations with people associated with the schools re: the four corner schools' reluctance to make a lateral move. Such small of a difference isn't worth it for increased travel costs, loss of peer institutions, lack of flexibility moving forward, etc.
A lot of people in Big 12 country are going to look really foolish if this all ends with the Pac 10 signing a 5 or 6 year deal where the per school payout is equal to or greater than the Big 12, and they are able to renegotiate 1-2 years prior to the Big 12 or teams are able to jump to B1G/SEC at that point.

A lot of people in Big 12 country are going to look really foolish if this all ends with the Pac 10 signing a 5 or 6 year deal where the per school payout is equal to or greater than the Big 12, and they are able to renegotiate 1-2 years prior to the Big 12 or teams are able to jump to B1G/SEC at that point.
Everyone needs to ignore the propagandists on both sides and look at the situation. Even ignoring all of the political BS that would go along with going back to the Big XII, I really don't feel like CU made the huge hire in Prime, with the huge commitment to go back to the B12. They're gunning for Big 10 or SEC - probably B1G. If the P12 deal is anything close to the B12, I imagine they'll stay put because they know it will give them maximum flexibility. They'll think "We'll do 2-3 years here, in a 'weaker' conference which might get us in to the playoff sooner and then make our big run at the B1G". You don't tie yourself down with a **** situation just because it's slightly better than the **** situation you're in that provides more flexibility.

Everyone needs to ignore the propagandists on both sides and look at the situation. Even ignoring all of the political BS that would go along with going back to the Big XII, I really don't feel like CU made the huge hire in Prime, with the huge commitment to go back to the B12. They're gunning for Big 10 or SEC - probably B1G. If the P12 deal is anything close to the B12, I imagine they'll stay put because they know it will give them maximum flexibility. They'll think "We'll do 2-3 years here, in a 'weaker' conference which might get us in to the playoff sooner and then make our big run at the B1G". You don't tie yourself down with a **** situation just because it's slightly better than the **** situation you're in that provides more flexibility.
yea, but one conference likes wine and cheese, and the other one has more people that like... something.

Have to wonder if the B1G told Todd and RG in order to even be considered they have to get football right. Hence Deion and the transfer fix. I do think the two are related.

That’s why at the very least, to your point, we need to stay, win and then negotiate our way in somewhere better.

I don't think CU is really a wine & cheese crowd or a beer & brats crowd. We're both and neither. Like most things Colorado.

I'd call us a "Craft" crowd. Basically, we like the good stuff. We're snobs about cured meats, Mex, beer, and Cue just as we're snobs about wine, farm-to-table, organics, superfoods and weed.

I don't think CU is really a wine & cheese crowd or a beer & brats crowd. We're both and neither. Like most things Colorado.

I'd call us a "Craft" crowd. Basically, we like the good stuff. We're snobs about cured meats, Mex, beer, and Cue just as we're snobs about wine, farm-to-table, organics, superfoods and weed.
Colorado is absolutely a "beer and brats" crowd when it comes to football games/tailgating. The same is not said for many of the other Pac programs

Who are these "many" P12 fanbases which are more highbrow in their tastes than CU fans?
Everyone save for maybe Utah (that entire state is ****ing weird, though) and the Arizona schools? Definitely all 4 CA schools. I'm not saying they are all on the Stanford/Cal level, nor is it all meant to be taken literally, but you don't develop a reputation over many decades of being a top party school with a rowdy student section, and fans that yell at old people, key opposing fans cars, burn couches after big wins, get the riot police out in the neighborhood, storm the field when you win 1 game, etc by being "highbrow" in anything.

I will agree that we are not as "beer and brat" as most of the Big 12 schools, but we also aren't even close to the snobbery of at least half the Pac 12

Everyone save for maybe Utah (that entire state is ****ing weird, though) and the Arizona schools? Definitely all 4 CA schools. I'm not saying they are all on the Stanford/Cal level, nor is it all meant to be taken literally, but you don't develop a reputation over many decades of being a top party school with a rowdy student section, and fans that yell at old people, key opposing fans cars, burn couches after big wins, get the riot police out in the neighborhood, storm the field when you win 1 game, etc by being "highbrow" in anything.

I will agree that we are not as "beer and brat" as most of the Big 12 schools, but we also aren't even close to the snobbery of at least half the Pac 12
I think the measure would be the average fan of the football team. CU fans seem to skew more educated and wealthy than the average CFB fan, imo.

What you're referencing is that CU has a lot of "rebel child of the family who didn't get accepted to Stanford, USC, Northwestern or Ivy and who has never turned down sex because he/she had an early class the next day."

And ITB posts it every damn time.

I'm starting to be convinced that the "Big XII adding the 4 Corners" is the new QAnon for these people. "It's coming, it's just not time yet... it will all be revealed in time and then we will add the four corners!"
It's either the new QAnon or the new "Russian Collusion". To be fair.

I think the measure would be the average fan of the football team. CU fans seem to skew more educated and wealthy than the average CFB fan, imo.

What you're referencing is that CU has a lot of "rebel child of the family who didn't get accepted to Stanford, USC, Northwestern or Ivy and who has never turned down sex because he/she had an early class the next day."
Michael Richards Yes GIF

Most really smart kids who get accepted by CU are likely smart enough to not bother applying to Stanford. Two different worlds.

I'm with you on this. I don't care about academic association in the slightest when talking about football. However, the thing I don't like about being associated with the 2024 Big 12 is that there aren't any good football brands. Cincinnati, BYU and Oklahoma State are the premier brands at this point and none of them actually have any real national appeal.

CU beating Oklahoma State on ESPN2 is kind of ho hum on a national level. CU beating Oregon on FOX or ABC is big time.

I get what you're saying about the lack of big brands in the Big 12 but how big are Oregon and UW? Looking at the audience for the highest rated games across a few weeks from last season the numbers aren't that different, in fact in most case the Big 12 had an edge. Small sampling, sure, but I tried not to pick and choose and just took the highest-rated games for each conference excluding departing teams except where noted. I also added a comment where applicable.

The point here is there's nothing that indicates a Pac12 game stands out as big time relative to the Big 12 games. The one exception might be UO-UW but there wasn't a good Big 12 comparison for that week since the premier Big12 game involved Texas.

Big 12 Championship (noon ABC) - 9.41 mil (up against MAC title, granted not much of a factor)
Pac12 Championshipt (Fri 8pm FOX) - 5.97 mil (no competition)

Week 13:
Iowa State-TCU (4pm FOX) - 4.34 mil
Oregon-Oregon St (3:30 ABC) - 3.56 mil

Week 12:
TCU-Baylor (noon Fox) - 4.35 mil (up against Illini-Michigan)
Utah-Oregon (10:30 ESPN) - 2.54 mil (cable)

Week 11:
Wash-Oregon (7pm, FOX) - 3.63 Mil
TCU-Texas (7:30pm, ABC) - 5.03 Mil (Texas factor; only Big 12 game on a major network this week)
OU-WV (Noon, FS1) - 956K

Week 10:
Texas Tech- TCU (noon, FOX) - 2.51 mil
Cal-USC (10:30pm, ESPN) - 2.04 mil (USC factor)
Oregon-CU (3:30pm, ESPN) - 962K (Up against Tenn-UGA)

Week 9:
OSU-KSU (3:30 FOX) - 3.38 mil
TCU-WV (noon, ESPN) - 1.51 mil (up against PSU-Ohio-St)
Stanford-UCLA (ESPN, 10:30pm) - 1.26 mil
Oregon-Cal (3:30 FS1) - 738K

I get what you're saying about the lack of big brands in the Big 12 but how big are Oregon and UW? Looking at the audience for the highest rated games across a few weeks from last season the numbers aren't that different, in fact in most case the Big 12 had an edge. Small sampling, sure, but I tried not to pick and choose and just took the highest-rated games for each conference excluding departing teams except where noted. I also added a comment where applicable.

The point here is there's nothing that indicates a Pac12 game stands out as big time relative to the Big 12 games. The one exception might be UO-UW but there wasn't a good Big 12 comparison for that week since the premier Big12 game involved Texas.

Big 12 Championship (noon ABC) - 9.41 mil (up against MAC title, granted not much of a factor)
Pac12 Championshipt (Fri 8pm FOX) - 5.97 mil (no competition)

Week 13:
Iowa State-TCU (4pm FOX) - 4.34 mil
Oregon-Oregon St (3:30 ABC) - 3.56 mil

Week 12:
TCU-Baylor (noon Fox) - 4.35 mil (up against Illini-Michigan)
Utah-Oregon (10:30 ESPN) - 2.54 mil (cable)

Week 11:
Wash-Oregon (7pm, FOX) - 3.63 Mil
TCU-Texas (7:30pm, ABC) - 5.03 Mil (Texas factor; only Big 12 game on a major network this week)
OU-WV (Noon, FS1) - 956K

Week 10:
Texas Tech- TCU (noon, FOX) - 2.51 mil
Cal-USC (10:30pm, ESPN) - 2.04 mil (USC factor)
Oregon-CU (3:30pm, ESPN) - 962K (Up against Tenn-UGA)

Week 9:
OSU-KSU (3:30 FOX) - 3.38 mil
TCU-WV (noon, ESPN) - 1.51 mil (up against PSU-Ohio-St)
Stanford-UCLA (ESPN, 10:30pm) - 1.26 mil
Oregon-Cal (3:30 FS1) - 738K

When you add context to those numbers, the Big 12 ratings were mostly about a late season, Cinderella TCU team that was undefeated, or OU and Texas. Remove UT and OU from the Big 12 conversation and the conference is left with Oklahoma State as its "tent pole" program, unless there is a TCU-like run from a random program.

In the spoiler here is something I posted last night on 247. The poster rward over there provided a lot of great data about which networks the Big 12 and Pac 12 games were on last season. The point I was making was that this argument of "more visibility" in the Big 12 because of ESPN and Fox is probably not as sound as people want to believe. As ESPN/ABC has exclusive rights to the SEC, plus adding two blue blood programs and also having the rights for Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, etc, there aren't going to be many, if any, weeks where a Big 12 game is featured on ABC or ESPN in any time slot. They will mostly be relegated to ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN+ (Streaming). That leaves FOX, which is now firmly in bed with the B1G as priority number one and Fox only has big FOX and FS1.

1. The Big 12 had 25% (16/65) of their games already on streaming (ESPN+). That number, including the ratio, is only going to increase with the additions of UCF, Houston and Cincinnati. BYU is actually going to help them from a national visibility perspective as they are on national TV a lot.

2. I think in the context of this conversation, you have to remove games featuring Texas and Oklahoma, as they will obviously be gone. Below is a breakdown of what they had left on the big 3 networks when UT and OU were removed.

Big 12 games on FOX that didn't include Texas or Oklahoma (6)
  • Texas Tech at TCU
  • TCU at Baylor
  • Oklahoma State at Baylor
  • Oklahoma State at Kansas State
  • Iowa State at TCU
  • Kansas at Kansas State
Big 12 games on ABC that didn't include Texas or Oklahoma (1)
  • Oklahoma State at TCU
Big 12 games on ESPN that didn't include Texas of Oklahoma (1)
  • TCU at West Virginia
When you remove Texas and OU from the Big 12, the number of games that are featured on one of those three networks drops by around 58% and when you consider that 7 of the remaining 8 games on those networks included TCU and Oklahoma State, my point is proven; as the SEC and ESPN are all in together with exclusive rights to ESPN, the *new* Big 12 will be relegated more and more to ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+, and FS1.

I will also add that the Pac 12 had 10 games on ESPN that didn't include USC or UCLA. Regardless, I am not really trying to compare the Big 12 to the Pac 12 in terms of visibility on the networks, even though the Pac 12 had 25 games on one of the big 3 networks (ESPN, ABC, FOX), while the Big 12 had 19. I just think the more you dive into these things and project out what's going to happen when these networks have a much larger stake in B1G and SEC inventory, the less the "visibility" argument of CU moving to the Big 12 makes sense.

Another factor here is CBS and NBC will be carrying B1G games, therefore cutting down on the B1G inventory for FOX/FS1. I believe CBS will get the first pick of a B1G game each week but not sure where NBC falls in the pecking order of selections. But the B1G has 4 big draw teams now with the addition of USC.

When you add context to those numbers, the Big 12 ratings were mostly about a late season, Cinderella TCU team that was undefeated, or OU and Texas. Remove UT and OU from the Big 12 conversation and the conference is left with Oklahoma State as its "tent pole" program, unless there is a TCU-like run from a random program.

In the spoiler here is something I posted last night on 247. The poster rward over there provided a lot of great data about which networks the Big 12 and Pac 12 games were on last season. The point I was making was that this argument of "more visibility" in the Big 12 because of ESPN and Fox is probably not as sound as people want to believe. As ESPN/ABC has exclusive rights to the SEC, plus adding two blue blood programs and also having the rights for Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, etc, there aren't going to be many, if any, weeks where a Big 12 game is featured on ABC or ESPN in any time slot. They will mostly be relegated to ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN+ (Streaming). That leaves FOX, which is now firmly in bed with the B1G as priority number one and Fox only has big FOX and FS1.

1. The Big 12 had 25% (16/65) of their games already on streaming (ESPN+). That number, including the ratio, is only going to increase with the additions of UCF, Houston and Cincinnati. BYU is actually going to help them from a national visibility perspective as they are on national TV a lot.

2. I think in the context of this conversation, you have to remove games featuring Texas and Oklahoma, as they will obviously be gone. Below is a breakdown of what they had left on the big 3 networks when UT and OU were removed.

Big 12 games on FOX that didn't include Texas or Oklahoma (6)
  • Texas Tech at TCU
  • TCU at Baylor
  • Oklahoma State at Baylor
  • Oklahoma State at Kansas State
  • Iowa State at TCU
  • Kansas at Kansas State
Big 12 games on ABC that didn't include Texas or Oklahoma (1)
  • Oklahoma State at TCU
Big 12 games on ESPN that didn't include Texas of Oklahoma (1)
  • TCU at West Virginia
When you remove Texas and OU from the Big 12, the number of games that are featured on one of those three networks drops by around 58% and when you consider that 7 of the remaining 8 games on those networks included TCU and Oklahoma State, my point is proven; as the SEC and ESPN are all in together with exclusive rights to ESPN, the *new* Big 12 will be relegated more and more to ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN+, and FS1.

I will also add that the Pac 12 had 10 games on ESPN that didn't include USC or UCLA. Regardless, I am not really trying to compare the Big 12 to the Pac 12 in terms of visibility on the networks, even though the Pac 12 had 25 games on one of the big 3 networks (ESPN, ABC, FOX), while the Big 12 had 19. I just think the more you dive into these things and project out what's going to happen when these networks have a much larger stake in B1G and SEC inventory, the less the "visibility" argument of CU moving to the Big 12 makes sense.

Yea there's no doubt the network a game is on plays a big part in these ratings and that will continue to be the case. And sure TCU's undefeated run was certainly a big factor but you can say the same about just any team in a P5 conference.

I've been surprised how uppity Utah fans have seemed online. I'm not saying they have no chance at the B1G, but I'd wager they are, at minimum, about 4th or 5th on the B1G's wishlist (including ND and the PAC schools), and maybe as low as 7th. It's like they've forgotten they were a MWC school just a few years ago.

Back