What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think that the powers that be in the Pac-12 love Houston even above KU. Not AAU, but comfortably R1 in a massive market with a great record on liberal/diversity issues. If the Pac could add 4 with SDSU, KU, SMU and Houston they'll move so fast on it that our heads will spin.
I actually really like this lineup.

Absolutely.

Almost certainly, the B1G will expand more to the West and add the AAUs. Washington & Oregon is a lock in this scenario.

I think CU has to hope the expansion number is 24 rather than 18 or 20 for the ultimate B1G configuration.
The B1G doesnt decide these things. The TV people. THEY. Decide these things.

Nd had No loyalty or affinity for any program other than nd.

Playing navy and Stanford has nothing to do with anything other than easy wins against schools they want to associate with.

Nd isn’t going to demand a ****ty partner like Stanford as a condition to go to the big. Nd will go to the big when the schedules and money require them to give up all the special benefits they enjoy.

Stanford to the big because of nd is just not reality.

I actually really like this lineup.

Agreed. Yeah football drives it all, but if this happened the Pac would have the potential to be the best basketball conference year in year out. Yes please.

Seriously though, Denver is the ultimate front runner town. If CU was a top college program, they could get that many. But it would take consistent season at the top, otherwise, we'd be 1/2 empty just like we were before.
That's it.

It goes up fast when something is the flavor of the month. That's a huge step we've taken - selling out the spring game and being able to sell out all season tickets with thousands on a wait list.

Now, it's a matter of building from there. Win. Be a big story with games an "event" for a few years. Build the promotional and hospitality programs to manage all of this. Then renovate and expand, likely in stages.

I think that an important expansion is football adjacent but not specifically a football project. Across Boulder Creek, they need to completely re-do the housing and old practice fields. Parking, easy access, improved walking bridges to Folsom, field sports complex for LAX and SOC, and additional Bookstore and other amenities for tailgating. Until that's done, it would be hard to accommodate a football crowd above 60k.

Seriously though, Denver is the ultimate front runner town. If CU was a top college program, they could get that many. But it would take consistent seasons at the top, otherwise, we'd be 1/2 empty just like we were before.

We wouldn't have any problem filling it for name opponents but would still have trouble getting a full house for games against G5, FCS, and lower-tier P5 teams. Even back in the 90's when we were regularly ranked and often in the top 10 I don't think we were selling out games against lesser teams.

We wouldn't have any problem filling it for name opponents but would still have trouble getting a full house for games against G5, FCS, and lower-tier P5 teams. Even back in the 90's when we were regularly ranked and often in the top 10 I don't think we were selling out games against lesser teams.

1990 Colorado population was 3.3 mil. 2023 is 5.9mil.

1990 Colorado population was 3.3 mil. 2023 is 5.9mil.
LA has 16 million people and USC and UCLA have trouble drawing fans for top opponents.

San Diego has a comparable population to the Colorado front range, no professional football team, and SDSU can't draw flies.

Most of the people in Colorado are from someplace else. They have allegiances to schools in other states or aren't college football fans. This is a pro sports state, Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avs before CU.

I do believe that if CU becomes a consistent winner with a quality product on the field the Buffs will regularly sell out but they won't be the focus of fans attention like some programs are in other states.

I’m thinking we go full borg 120k. Ohio State has the Horseshoe. Colorado has the Croc.

Here’s to ending this s*** this week and getting a deal done. We’ve heard everything from:

ESPN
Fox
Turner
Apple
Amazon
ION
CBS
NBC

No one is interested but everyone is interested. Let’s see it. Cards on the table time.

I think calling CU fans “fair weather” is inaccurate. We drew pretty damned good crowds for a program that totally sucked for two decades. Then, during brief success we packed Folsom.

Colorado is a sports loving state. The Rox are one of the top attendance teams in baseball even when the Rox are awful. CU football attendance was pretty good. Now it’s going to be great.

I think calling CU fans “fair weather” is inaccurate. We drew pretty damned good crowds for a program that totally sucked for two decades. Then, during brief success we packed Folsom.

Colorado is a sports loving state. The Rox are one of the top attendance teams in baseball even when the Rox are awful. CU football attendance was pretty good. Now it’s going to be great.
Yeah fair weather definitely isn’t the way to describe CU fans. Maybe the students to an extent.

What I’ve seen since December are a lot of bandwagon fans. People who I never would have guessed had any real affinity for CU are all of the sudden reposting media, liking videos and talking about how cool it’s going to be in Boulder.

Apple is worried. Sports leagues should be more concerned. Without cable packages drawing in non sports fan revenue, it lays bare that only about 15% to 25% of the country would actually pay for sports on TV.

Apple is worried. Sports leagues should be more concerned. Without cable packages drawing in non sports fan revenue, it lays bare that only about 15% to 25% of the country would actually pay for sports on TV.
I am surprised that we have actual Commercials during sports events, cause with streaming and other means, nobody just sits there and watches them.

Advertisers need to be scrolling on the bottom of the screen at all times, or the ads need to be around the field or court like Soccer and Basketball are. The cool part is the sideline boards you see on TV are not necessarily what you see on the screen as they can digitally change on the broadcast. The sport and sponsor must work together, and the customer could also be benefited by not having commercials delay the games.

oddly profound, I enjoy watching a game but outside of sling trials to watch the Buffs, I don't pay for any sort of cable or subscription to view live sports. I thought I was in the minority here but maybe more people than I realized have the same view

Soccer is little more than glorified jogging with occasional bad acting thrown in. The type of people that enjoy watching it are exactly the type of people who work at Apple, and they probably assumed that everyone, everywhere, would be gaga about the “beautiful game” and throw their money at a boring snoozefest. It ain’t so. Anyone outside of their coastal elite bubble could have told them it ain’t so. And yet they are shocked.

Sadly the number of people who’d pay to watch soccer greatly exceeds the number of people who’d pay to get a PAC subscription.

Soccer is little more than glorified jogging with occasional bad acting thrown in. The type of people that enjoy watching it are exactly the type of people who work at Apple, and they probably assumed that everyone, everywhere, would be gaga about the “beautiful game” and throw their money at a boring snoozefest. It ain’t so. Anyone outside of their coastal elite bubble could have told them it ain’t so. And yet they are shocked.

Sadly the number of people who’d pay to watch soccer greatly exceeds the number of people who’d pay to get a PAC subscription.
“Hey, Ted Lasso is highly successful. People would definitely love to watch the real thing! Let’s go all in”.
- Apple people probably.

I enjoy top flight soccer - MLS ain’t it though.

That's it.

It goes up fast when something is the flavor of the month. That's a huge step we've taken - selling out the spring game and being able to sell out all season tickets with thousands on a wait list.

Now, it's a matter of building from there. Win. Be a big story with games an "event" for a few years. Build the promotional and hospitality programs to manage all of this. Then renovate and expand, likely in stages.

I think that an important expansion is football adjacent but not specifically a football project. Across Boulder Creek, they need to completely re-do the housing and old practice fields. Parking, easy access, improved walking bridges to Folsom, field sports complex for LAX and SOC, and additional Bookstore and other amenities for tailgating. Until that's done, it would be hard to accommodate a football crowd above 60k.
This makes much more sense than expanding CU's already large footprint as part of the South Boulder Creek area annexation. There's plenty of opportunity to provide housing and even a 3000 seat stadium other than building out south.

Last edited:
subscription within a subscription seems kinda sketch, if we end up doing apple tv or amazon or whatever, hopefully it's just on the main sub
Here’s what I think happens. We sign with:

1. ESPN - they get their Saturday “Pac-12 After Dark” slot on Saturday nights. Some ESPN2/ESPNU, E+ football content on Saturday afternoons. A lot of basketball on all of their networks.

2. Turner (TNT/TBS) - a few ADs hinted at linear via cable and I think this is what they meant. Some of our games end up here on Saturday afternoons and a decent amount of basketball ends up here too.

3. Amazon & Apple - they each get one game a week, with Friday night the best option. They might alternate weeks or it could just be one streamer and not both. But… the Pac-12 is not doing a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night game.

Can’t have half the league play night games every week. Just not sustainable. But 2 (Fri, Sat) is doable. Wild card is Amazon takes Friday and Apple invents another window. If we go with Apple, it’s the Apple+ subscription, not two subscriptions.

Partnerships:

ACC/SEC - we will likely play one game a week with the ACC on ESPN afternoons. I wouldn’t be surprised if a handful of SEC games get scheduled, too somehow. Do you want to see Alabama vs Citadel or Saban vs Prime?

Payout:

$36-38M per school.

I hypothesized $36M a month or so ago and am sticking with it.

Membership:

SDSU (full member) + Gonzaga in basketball only

SMU + Tulane possibly down the road but I’m starting to get skeptical about SMU. I’m leaning towards they get told no or they are added for just football.

Last edited:
Here’s what I think happens. We sign with:

1. ESPN - they get their Saturday “Pac-12 After Dark” slot on Saturday nights. Some ESPN2/ESPNU, E+ football content on Saturday afternoons. A lot of basketball on all of their networks.

2. Turner (TNT/TBS) - a few ADs hinted at linear via cable and I think this is what they meant. Some of our games end up here on Saturday afternoons and a decent amount of basketball ends up here too.

3. Amazon & Apple - they each get one game a week, with Friday night the best option. They might alternate weeks or it could just be one streamer and not both. But… the Pac-12 is not doing a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night game.

Can’t have half the league play night games every week. Just not sustainable. But 2 (Fri, Sat) is doable. Wild card is Amazon takes Friday and Apple invents another window. If we go with Apple, it’s the Apple+ subscription, not two subscriptions.

Partnerships:

ACC/SEC - we will likely play one game a week with the ACC on ESPN afternoons. I wouldn’t be surprised if a handful of SEC games get scheduled, too somehow. Do you want to see Alabama vs Citadel or Saban vs Prime?

Membership:

SDSU (full member) + Gonzaga in basketball only

SMU + Tulane possibly down the road but I’m starting to get skeptical about SMU. I’m leaning towards they get told no or they are added for just football.
Good thoughts. One thing is that I assume they aren't going to just add SDSU and get to 11 teams, unless they have a scheduling model where 1 team is on a bye every week.

Back