What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think you are reading way too much into that Big 12 exit fee. When a school announces they are leaving, the Big 12 will withhold money and that is something that the P12 would have done if there was one more extra year on the P12 GOR. That is why OU & UT announced the SEC move with a join date four years down the road and that was moved up one year to next year. If the Big 12 withheld $20M from OU & UT the last three years, they just have to pay the remaining $20M over an agreed upon timeframe.

The only way CU would do such a thing is if they are joining the B1G or SEC. That won't happen if the P12 invited the Buffs back in this case. And CU Boulder has a budget of over $2B. Money isn't necessarily much of a problem in this case.
Many forget but we played the last season in the B12 with zero income. Then I think we played a full season in the P12 before we got our first revenue payment. That two years was quite lean.

>The University of Colorado accepted its invitation to join the Pac-12 on June 11, 2010, and on June 17, 2010, the University of Utah agreed to join the Conference.

>Jon Embree was named the school’s 24th full-time head football coach (and the 26th overall including two interim) in program history on December 6, 2010

I believe we were also saddled with buyouts from previous coaches.

i am amused at a ku fan trash talking about program quality. i guess some people think basketball counts? it doesn't, really. football is the straw that stirs the drink and, frankly,, you guys are awful and have always been awful. i mean we are something like 45-20 all time against ku and that includes some lean years for us.

View attachment 61605

March Madness Hoops GIF by Basketball Madness

Last edited:
Many forget but we played the last season in the B12 with zero income. Then I think we played a full season in the P12 before we got our first revenue payment. That two years was quite lean.

>The University of Colorado accepted its invitation to join the Pac-12 on June 11, 2010, and on June 17, 2010, the University of Utah agreed to join the Conference.

>Jon Embree was named the school’s 24th full-time head football coach (and the 26th overall including two interim) in program history on December 6, 2010

I believe we were also saddled with buyouts from previous coaches.
We forfeited $6.8M in revenue when we moved in 2010. I know there’s inflation but $80M is a massive obstacle bc it’s intended to be one.

It matters bc I don’t think we’re headed for the $70-100M/yr B1G or SEC payday as it stands. If we (plus others like CU) get an invite down the road, it could be via a reduced payout. We don’t know. We’ll need to keep our options open and not bank on digging out of a $80M hole so easily.

i am amused at a ku fan trash talking about program quality. i guess some people think basketball counts? it doesn't, really. football is the straw that stirs the drink and, frankly,, you guys are awful and have always been awful. i mean we are something like 45-20 all time against ku and that includes some lean years for us.
No trash talking here. I like CU. Just what things will look like after you leave.

Explain to me how and why the NBA teams are worth so much money then.

The Warriors are valued at like $7 Billion Dollars

College Basketball is being under-appreciated in these deals

sure, happy to explain...

here are the top 10 highest rated CFB games in 2022, #'s of viewers

1. MichiganOhio State (FOX) 17.1 million
  2. TennesseeGeorgia (CBS) 13.1 million
  3. Alabama-Tennessee (CBS) 11.6 million
  4. LSU-Georgia (SEC Championship) (CBS) 10.9 million
  5. Purdue-Michigan (Big Ten Championship) (FOX) 10.7 million
  6. Alabama-Texas (FOX) 10.6 million
  7. Notre Dame-Ohio State (ABC) 10.5 million
  8. Kansas StateTCU (Big 12 Championship) 9.4 million
  9. Alabama-Ole Miss (CBS) 8.7 million
  10. Ohio State-Penn State (FOX) 8.3 million

and the top 10 most viewed MBB games in 2022, #'a of viewers

FoYMUe-XsA0aO2b

if you have further questions, please let me know.

and, don't make me breakout an NFL v. NBA franchise valuation comparison... you won't like it.

FoYMUe-XsA0aO2b

and, don't make me breakout an NFL v. NBA franchise valuation comparison... you won't like it.

Thank you, but are we not valuing Basketball at all in these League Wide deals?

Kansas Basketball would be worth more than Indiana Football or Vanderbilt Football

Football drives the bus, but is someone like Kansas, or even Arizona undervaluing its basketball values.

We forfeited $6.8M in revenue when we moved in 2010. I know there’s inflation but $80M is a massive obstacle bc it’s intended to be one.

It matters bc I don’t think we’re headed for the $70-100M/yr B1G or SEC payday as it stands. If we (plus others like CU) get an invite down the road, it could be via a reduced payout. We don’t know. We’ll need to keep our options open and not bank on digging out of a $80M hole so easily.
I dont think we get that invite. Unless were invited to replace teams that left for the Super League. All we can we hope for really is a promotion and relegation system with a SL

Kansas Basketball would be worth more than Indiana Football or Vanderbilt Football

Football drives the bus, but is someone like Kansas, or even Arizona undervaluing its basketball values.

depends on what one means by value i guess. sure, the value of bb is woven into the deals. but ua and ku bb do not move the overall needle much if at all. if they did, both would have far more leverage than they do. the net-net is that cfb outdraws mbb exponentially across the board and even the biggest big game games in bb don't stack up. if by value or brand, we mean "are they an elite program in that sport?" then yes, ku for sure and ua is at least adjacent to elite.

viewership = money.

I dont think we get that invite. Unless were invited to replace teams that left for the Super League. All we can we hope for really is a promotion and relegation system with a SL
Idk if a super league happens. These conferences have it good. It would have to be exponentially more money take a chance on something else. Maybe it is much more money.

Also not sure more realignment happens anytime soon. SEC loved adding Texas and OU right up until the schedules came out. They want to add Clemson and FSU on top of that? I don’t think the money is even there to make it appealing. It just turns into a game of Risk with each major power increasing their odds of regular season losses for marginal monetary gains.

Maybe the super conference is the solution bc it can have the best teams and losses are mitigated by the fact everyone will take losses bc the competition is too good.

But then we’re back at square one: why do any this if they have it good right now?
matthew broderick professor falken GIF

FoYMUe-XsA0aO2b

Why did DePaul play Creighton on Xmas and why did so many people watch?

The reason for that is likely two-fold:

1- The NBA is a higher level of competition covering basically the biggest markets across the country.

2- Their playoffs are tied into their tv deal. The NCAA owns the postseason where the leagues don't. The most important games aren't in the tv deals.

Just for context here, the total 2022 net operating revenue for Kansas Football was $17.7m while Kansas Basketball's was $1.6m. I do have some confusion over the "Media Rights" aspect of the revenue/expenses statement as it shows a $29m media rights revenue for football and $0 for basketball, but regardless, elite basketball programs are still well behind ****ty football programs when it comes to revenue.

There are 3 times as many Basketball games as Football so that discrepancy should affect the value as well.
I bet Kansas has 20M+ viewers across their basketball season while they only have 10M viewers for their football season

Back