What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Which brings me to a theory about a potential broader mindset in all of this.

If the sport can't figure out a way to get under a central governing body, form a CBA, create scheduling uniformity, more parity, etc. I wonder if in 7 years, when programs that fancy themselves blue bloods and believe they should be competing for NCs are continually reduced to 6-6 or 7-5 most years, if we start seeing some of them decide they'd rather win than have their already rich AF ADs bring in the extra money.

I think OU, and possibly Texas, are going to find out quickly that winning 9-11 games/year was a lot more fun than getting paid more but getting their teeth kicked in by Georgia, Alabama and LSU. I think USC will be just fine in the B1G, but I think UCLA is going to get murdered.
Not necessarily your point, but parity is one of the things that I dislike about the NFL model.

If the Pac dissolves and Cal gets left in the dark with their enormous deficit, does CA legislature jump in to try and stop UCLA from moving to BIG in order to keep Cal afloat?

So we were in limbo for +12 months but 3 business days after we leave there’s a media deal. Does that make any sense?

They worked through the details for a deal that no longer includes the marquee brand of the off-season and major metro in essentially a few hours. Sounds like b.s. or a disaster. If true the presidents should be furious it took having CU leave to make this happen so fast.

It could if we were one of the schools obstructing an Apple deal and or expansion. Ill assume that CU and two other schools opposed any deal that didnt have linear as a primary component.

I guess we’ll see after Tuesday.

Whatever happened its obvious there was not anything close to a united set beliefs or principles in terms of how to move the conference forward. I have little doubt that people across the table saw this plain as day too and it probably didnt help negotiations. Kind of sad if we had a hand in this. I bet this internal strife possibly reaches back into the Larry Scott era

If the Pac does stay together at nine or eight and they do complete a deal with someone I hope they expand quickly. Whoever was behind the ivory tower standards in terms of who to add or not needs to realize that they just blew up their precious conference. Stop wasting time and add SDSU, Fresno, CSU, and whomever else to get back to being a viable conference.

If the Pac dissolves and Cal gets left in the dark with their enormous deficit, does CA legislature jump in to try and stop UCLA from moving to BIG in order to keep Cal afloat?

How would stopping UCLA from moving the the B1G prevent Cal from sinking since there is no P12 to stay in?

It could if we were one of the schools obstructing an Apple deal and or expansion. Ill assume that CU and two other schools opposed any deal that didnt have linear as a primary component.

I guess we’ll see after Tuesday.

Whatever happened its obvious there was not anything close to a united set beliefs or principles in terms of how to move the conference forward. I have little doubt that people across the table saw this plain as day too and it probably didnt help negotiations. Kind of sad if we had a hand in this. I bet this internal strife possibly reaches back into the Larry Scott era

If the Pac does stay together at nine or eight and they do complete a deal with someone I hope they expand quickly. Whoever was behind the ivory tower standards in terms of who to add or not needs to realize that they just blew up their precious conference. Stop wasting time and add SDSU, Fresno, CSU, and whomever else to get back to being a viable conference.

Could see CU being one that blocked the deal due to lack of visibility on linear networks. Would put a lot of money on the schools blocking expansion were Cal and Stanford.

again, viewed through the lens of antitrust, the big and sec are incented to not reduce access to the playoffs right about now. they are good with whatever is left of the pac and others being deemed "peer" conferences for now. then they can try to say that the left behinds are not left out. ignore the dollar differences. lol.

this is going to be a lawyer's wet dream over the next few rounds.

You're hitting on one thing that *a lot* of college football fans forget: a lot of laws that apply to regular business and industry also apply to the NCAA, conferences, and schools.

The entire current broadcast model only exists because the NCAA lost a huge case in front the US Supreme Court back in the early 80s. That ruling and those laws still apply today, and anti-trust is at the heart.

Also: NIL isn't some new idea that the NCAA just came up with. It was imposed by the Supreme Court when the NCAA lost their latest case to get to that point.

And, these weren't "close calls" by a divided court - they were big losses with judges appointed by both parties in the majority. The case applying the anti-trust laws was 7-2*, and the NIL case was a whopping 9-0.

The point is that the NCAA, conferences and schools often legally cannot "just do [fill in the blank]," even when it's the most logical thing to do.

*An unimportant footnote: there was a former college football player on the court at the time of the broadcast antitrust ruling, someone who finished 2nd in Heisman voting his senior year. That justice was one of the two in the minority. His statue sits outside Folsom: Byron "Wizzer" White.

The UC BOR should have stopped UCLA from leaving initially. I would have saved the Pac, even if USC left as they'd still get the LA market for subscriber fees.

In that scenario, the Pac 11 could have gone on the offensive and grabbed some Big 12 schools to get into three time zones and Texas, kept the LA market and still had a conference of mid to above average brands. Probably would have a media deal better than what the Big 12 currently has.

So, in the end, it's the state of California's fault

Could see CU being one that blocked the deal due to lack of visibility on linear networks. Would put a lot of money on the schools blocking expansion were Cal and Stanford.
It would have to be more than just cu. But I guess we shall see soon. If a media deal is signed now with no further defections, than yes, cu was the sole blocker.

The UC BOR should have stopped UCLA from leaving initially. I would have saved the Pac, even if USC left as they'd still get the LA market for subscriber fees.

In that scenario, the Pac 11 could have gone on the offensive and grabbed some Big 12 schools to get into three time zones and Texas, kept the LA market and still had a conference of mid to above average brands. Probably would have a media deal better than what the Big 12 currently has.

So, in the end, it's the state of California's fault
I Guess If You Say So GIF

I remember that "alliance". Seems like it was just a bunch of ass talking with no purpose in retrospect.
I'd suggest retrospect wasn't needed to conclude that -- I think it was suspected by most to be meaningless during the presser when it came out there was nothing in writing.

and it certainly seems probable that the LA schools defection was already in the works at the time.

I'd suggest retrospect wasn't needed to conclude that -- I think it was suspected by most to be meaningless during the presser when it came out there was nothing in writing.

and it certainly seems probable that the LA schools defection was already in the works at the time.
Yes. It was a bunch of nothing.

The presser. https://pac-12.com/article/2021/08/24/pac-12-acc-and-big-ten-announce-historic-alliance-0

And yes, it was less than a year later USC and UCLA leaving to B1G was official.

Its an alliance until I have a good reason to stab you in the back...

Cope harder

Always a great take when the coach who has been in the conference for one season talks about conference history.

The Ducks have lost just as many Pac 12 Championship games as the Buffs have in the past 7 years.

(Yes, I'm ignoring the fact they won 2 in that time frame as well - that isn't the stat I quoted, dammit!)

also, the access to the playoffs is one of several defensive methods i think the big and sec are engaged in to try to avoid antitrust stuff and anticompetitive stuff and congress.

this is one reason the murderer's row of the truck stop 13 and the diminished pac will still have access. for now.
Congress should absolutely step in. This is a train wreck in terms of the damage its doing.
if they do, we will see litigation and congressional inquiries and doj action. there are a whole bunch of congress critters representing aggrieved constituents if the pac and acc are further gutted.

i predict there will be a few more smaller moves-- like some pac schools defecting to the b12-- and then this all stops for this round.
Do it!

Back