What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

My god nik, what is your love affair with sdsu? It is a nothing school in area that could care less about cb. I lived there and no one gives a sh** about sdsu. The stadium s further away from campus than Hughs stadium was from csu. Please don’t tell me recruiting because that’s bs.
I'll explain it again. It has almost nothing to do with SDSU. It has nothing to do with market or market engagement because if media partners said they are worth a full share, they're worth a full share. If they're not, you wouldn't take them.

My interest in SDSU is for the market exposure and presence in a place that's huge for CU athletics recruiting but is also huge for driving CU applications, alumni & other fan engagement, and donations.

One other thing in the reported Apple offer (assuming true) is that the Pac would pay the production costs for games it wants aired. That was a condition of absorbing PACN.

So cost of this gets deducted from media payout. Then, they're put into a tough spot on "Conference of Champions", a commitment that all games in all sports would be broadcast, and potential Title IX issues if they don't want to pay to produce sports that lose money.

I'll give it a try and in a chronological way:

1. Arizona is the next school on their way to the Big 12. UO & UW are said to be going to the Big Ten.
2. P12 meeting tomorrow to tell the schools how much they will be making and how much the (sun) devil is in the details with the terms of the Apple TV contract. If MHver is right, there's no way UO, UW, and UA are staying in the PAC.
3. AZ Board of Regents meeting tomorrow after that P12 meeting. I don't think that is where the vote will be taken to decide on staying or going. Probably needs a second meeting which could be Wednesday at the earliest but that might not be the case in AZ.
4. ITB runs naked in the street screaming I TOLD YOU SO!

I seriously don't think the Big10 is expanding with ORWA.

Last edited:

If you can grow your brand and promote your university well enough to reach your boosters and university donors, engage your fans, attract recruits for your sports teams, and drive university applications
via 100% subscription app without slipping on those things, then it's a great deal. This, I think, is the one that will cause the Athletics Directors and Presidents/Chancellors to choose another option if they have one. It makes for a selection of the Big 12 an easy sell to Regents or Trustees and primary boosters + corporate sponsors (their investments are keyed to positive and broad brand exposure). I believe this was the thing that drove CU's disgust at Pac-12 Football Media Day
You know, when I read this I think, for at least a few of the top schools, the Apple streaming actually would be very attractive to reach those audiences and better than the dying linear. Particularly if you are a President and looking at athletics as the front porch to future and recent students, this is way better. And increasingly for new graduates that you want to keep in the fold as future donors, they are more likely to have an apple subscription than a monster cable subscription.
Where it breaks down is visibility with Heisman voters and rankings voters, etc.
Not saying this isn't without huge risks and downsides, but I could see it being pretty appealing to a certain crowd and thinking about demographics.

I'll explain it again. It has almost nothing to do with SDSU. It has nothing to do with market or market engagement because if media partners said they are worth a full share, they're worth a full share. If they're not, you wouldn't take them.

My interest in SDSU is for the market exposure and presence in a place that's huge for CU athletics recruiting but is also huge for driving CU applications, alumni & other fan engagement, and donations.
Every bar in town was packed during their NCAA run. SD will support a winner. I think if they are playing P5 teams it will increase interest.

You know, when I read this I think, for at least a few of the top schools, the Apple streaming actually would be very attractive to reach those audiences and better than the dying linear. Particularly if you are a President and looking at athletics as the front porch to future and recent students, this is way better. And increasingly for new graduates that you want to keep in the fold as future donors, they are more likely to have an apple subscription than a monster cable subscription.
Where it breaks down is visibility with Heisman voters and rankings voters, etc.
Not saying this isn't without huge risks and downsides, but I could see it being pretty appealing to a certain crowd and thinking about demographics.
You described why you want to be on a streaming app, but doesn't justify abandoning tv & cable.

Every bar in town was packed during their NCAA run. SD will support a winner. I think if they are playing P5 teams it will increase interest.
There's definite potential. It helps SDSU that it's not an NFL (or NBA) city any more and Padres coverage only steals the spotlight during September if they're still relevant at that point. There's a chance that they were never invited to the Pac-12 because of fear of a sleeping giant that would harm recruiting dominance for some programs in SD/OC/Riverside.

What's wrong with no more P12N after this athletic season? That is the number one thing that should come to mind in this whole saga. I am still bummed about not getting Apple TV but ESPN+ in 2024 and forward is still a great deal for the non-linear CU athletic contest.

Where it breaks down is with the casual fan. I ain’t paying d*** for most games I don’t care about and/or for some games I do care about including cu. They will still hit me with commercials and crap. Right now I can sit back and enjoy a game on Saturday afternoon and just turn on a game and relax. if I have to pay for steaming I’ll do a movie instead. I’m old but the younger generation will not put up with this. My kids won’t

Nothing is more P12 than refusing a life boat in hopes of a yacht saving you.

I’d love to see a few schools drown in arrogance. Utah headed back to Laramie and Fort Fun in 2024
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

Where it breaks down is with the casual fan. I ain’t paying d*** for most games I don’t care about and/or for some games I do care about including cu. They will still hit me with commercials and crap. Right now I can sit back and enjoy a game on Saturday afternoon and just turn on a game and relax. if I have to pay for steaming I’ll do a movie instead. I’m old but the younger generation will not put up with this. My kids won’t
Your kids know how to stream it for free, you should ask them how.

IF somehow the PAC cobbles together a tv deal with Apple, who here is ready to buy a subscription on top of what you might be already spending for the basic Apple cost?

It would depend on who is in the conference. I loved Rich-Rod's UA teams despite the heartbreak they gave us at times and then you have Wazzu during CU's time in the PAC. Oregon State could grow on me.

ESPN+ would be priority #1 since that is where CU's non-linear games would go in the BIg 12.

IF somehow the PAC cobbles together a tv deal with Apple, who here is ready to buy a subscription on top of what you might be already spending for the basic Apple cost?
That won’t happen for this season will it? If so, count me in. If not, what’s the difference.

Saw one tweet with a rivalry trophy with CU, Houston, and UCF's logos for some kind of space school rivalry after Biden's announcement today.

Your kids know how to stream it for free, you should ask them how.
You don’t get it! They will watch something else or play some stupid vidio game. They
won’t pay for a college football game to save their lives unless it’s their team and if it’s on in the back ground at their party. The ( networks or who ever). are losing a whole generation. The nfl is very close and cb is right there. I’m not paying extra to watch certain games that I don’t give a rats ass about but will watch on a casual basis. I don’t know when the last time I watched a championship game? I think it was tx vs sc. Mainly because it was always Ala. vs somebody

Back