What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

And just like that CU is left to fade away at the little kids table. This consolidation might have worked for CU if the B1G had waited for another 5-6 years, but having it move this fast means CU is locked out of the B1G and SEC. Yeah, B12 can pick up ACC schools, but nothing premium...Pitt/Louisville/NC State.

Hopefully, the end game is a three conference monster and CU can regularly be king of the little kids table, like back when CU was winning the B12 North.
I 100% disagree. We spent the last 2 decades purposely sitting at the kids table from an investment/commitment perspective and are now aghast at our position amongst the P5/4/3 whatever.

I acknowledge that CU will live to see another day. It doesn't make the knowledge that CU is now officially going to be looking up at the big boys for the rest of my life any more palatable.
Depends how old you are. What if Prime gets things rolling and the Buffs make the playoffs 2 or 3 times before the next round of
realignment? At least we have hope now. We were on the verge of dropping to FCS under KD. Things could change quickly.

Depends how old you are. What if Prime gets things rolling and the Buffs make the playoffs 2 or 3 times before the next round of
realignment? At least we have hope now. We were on the verge of dropping to FCS under KD. Things could change quickly.
What next round of realignment? There aren't going to be any chairs left in the next couple of weeks that don't have Notre Dame or Clemson's name on it.

What next round of realignment? There aren't going to be any chairs left in the next couple of weeks that don't have Notre Dame or Clemson's name on it.
Perhaps in 2030, when the B1G gets a new TV contract, they'll want to snap up every slightly desirable program not in a confederate state and expand to 32 teams. My dream is that they do that and CU is coming off a few 8 or 9 win seasons in the Big 12 and gets the call.

I acknowledge that CU will live to see another day. It doesn't make the knowledge that CU is now officially going to be looking up at the big boys for the rest of my life any more palatable.
I think it is, and probably has been, unlikely CU was ever going to the B1G or SEC. And given that, CU is tier 2. That is just the way it is. If CU shows out, who is to say they aren't promoted to tier 1 some day down the road?

I realize Utah is a decent draw, but I'm struggling to see why they would be an add over 14 with BYU already doing the Utah thing.

I'm also not seeing why the B1G would add stanford AND cal in addition to Oregon and UW.

Through the looking glass.
Fox is more oriented towards a broadcast model thats ad supported. The Bay Area and Seattle are like #10 and #12 in size (value) so they help selling reach to advertisers. Those on top of already having #1, #2, and #3. CBS and NBC would also be happy about that.

Clearly the move for the B1G is to position this as an academic research alliance advertised through athletics. So after they add 9 schools via UW, UO, Cal, Furd, UVA, UNC, Miami, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame to get to 25, they just need to kick out Nebraska to be all AAU and pass the red face test.
anti-competitive, monopolistic, predatory, consolidation, etc.

we will see.

i don't think the big is going to bring in anyone at this time.

Lina Khan and the FTC couldn’t litigate the merger of two lemonade stands. That weak team should be the last worry of the B10

anti-competitive, monopolistic, predatory, consolidation, etc.

we will see.

i don't think the big is going to bring in anyone at this time.
It is an unusual situation when mostly non-profit state and religious institutions are engaged in cutthroat capitalism to get the distribution deals and squeeze some competitors out of the market.

Let's just hope that we don't end up with politicians drawing up college athletic conferences like they decide on electoral maps and post office locations.

And just like that CU is left to fade away at the little kids table. This consolidation might have worked for CU if the B1G had waited for another 5-6 years, but having it move this fast means CU is locked out of the B1G and SEC. Yeah, B12 can pick up ACC schools, but nothing premium...Pitt/Louisville/NC State.

Hopefully, the end game is a three conference monster and CU can regularly be king of the little kids table, like back when CU was winning the B12 North.
If things settle as you mention, will you ultimately have more fun as a fan dominating the Big 12 while Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, MSU, UCLA, etc all go 6-6ish every year? Likewise with Arkansas, OU, aTm, Ole Miss, Texas, etc?

If the two leagues remain completely separate, that’s what I envision. The worst of both worlds; one where there’s no true NFL model with all programs on equal footing, but too big for traditional powers to actually have consistent success.

IMO, the other option is for a true NFL model that would expand further and include CU

all the possible anti-trust stuff aside, i will be quite pleased ua asu and utah/other pac team join the b12 with us. that is a good conference, with some actual weight to it again.

that dude on twitter suggesting that wvu is in the mix for the big and fsu as well is flat out insane.

maybe the big takes 2-4 pac teams now but it will not be a clean breakup. at all.

i really do think uo, uw, stan, cal, and osu and wsu are most likely to stick together, take the streaming deal, do unequal rev sharing and bring in g5 fillers. 5 year deal or so.

i really also think that as much as clemson miami and fsu want to go to the sec, they won't break the gor in a way that makes any financial sense yet.

consolidation at this magnitude leaves a whole lot of football programs on the outside without a reasonable shot to compete.

if you all are correct and this all happens right now--- it will be the beginning of the end and a whole lot of finger pointing and worse.

He just moved ahead of Canzano for the title of most likely to be the Pacs Baghdad Bob.
I don't buy the "first mover" application to this concept. The idea that being the "first mover" to a--presently--speculative-streaming platform concept presumes that when the time comes for that speculative-platform to be sought-after, the "first mover" would have some latent priority benefit which would lead to a second-contract 2030 (?) windfall. In this world, especially in the streaming realm, it's essentially about estimated future viewership numbers, not about having a business-relationship history with a particular platform.

By 2030, every sports media company will--likely--have moved to full streaming service, and the only thing the "first mover" from 2023 got was the "first" subscription rate payment plateau, which got locked in before the streaming-only prices began to increase due to overall systemic advancement.

I think CU was smart to move to the BIG12 now, lock in real money based on the "old" system for the most part. When the new system is finally on-line, we can capitalize and shift into it along with all the other major conferences.

I think you've underestimated the pull the networks/streaming platforms have going forward in deciding who they want in the leagues they broadcast. It's clear what they are doing here IMO in regards to realignment. The teams that don't belong at the big table will be eventually pushed out. e.g., Rutgers, Vandy et al.

From a business standpoint, I don't see the 4 going to B1G. Even at a partial share, the money has to come from somewhere, and no existing team is going to agree to lower their payment by even $1 for the 4 except maybe UCLA since they are still on the hook to cal for some money which may end up a wash if cal gets into B1G.

So the networks would need to pay more. Most notably Fox, which already has the B1G's premiere games locked up. Cbs? Nbc? Maybe more streaming in peacock.

I'm sure the 4(or 2) probably went to the B1G as a group and said take us! We will come over for almost anything! But the money still needs to be gotten from somewhere. Sell a 4th tier? Who is going to pay for that? Apple? Lol.

Maybe ESPN says, B12...we give you more money to secure them, but I doubt it. Fox can probably get them alot cheaper in the B12 as well. Fox would be paying more for them to play in the B1G than they can have them in the B12? That makes no sense for them.

The networks still and do hold all the cards here. At best the conferences can ask for more money, but the networks will decide where teams go ultimately. What real benefit does any network have with paying any of these 4 even a partial share in the B1G when they can bide their time and get them and their inventory cheaper.

If the best the PAC 9 could get is 20m on apple, they probably aren't getting anymore from the networks by dropping asu, Utah, OSU and wsu and going to the B1G. Someone has to pay them and it ain't gonna be the current conference members.
The thing is its all about marquee matchups that drive high ratings. Ohio St v Oregon. Michigan v Washington. Penn St v USC. Etc. People will tune in for those matchups. I think Fox would pay to have some more of those.

There are also apparently a lot of Big Ten alums in California….

There are only four markets in the entire country that drew more than 1 percent of the graduates from every single Big Ten school: New York, Los Angeles, Washington and San Francisco. None of these metro areas are located in the Midwest. Not even Chicago…

Like CU these schools get students and have alums from Cali.

Last edited:
If none of Oregon/Washington/Utah/ASU/Cal/Stanford end up trapped in the sinking PAC or join the MWC…… my disappointment will be immeasurable. I feel bad for OSU/WSU and I just want to savor the demise of another P12 program

in the event that Congress does get involved, this could become relevant. Looks like the Bay Area schools would have some advocates in the House (note this is 2021 data).

link
24598.jpeg
Our poly sci program needs to step up its game

I don't understand the legal basis for a 16 team conference being fine but a 20 team conference being predatory or something.

The Pac has had many membership changes and expansion in its history. Just 12 years ago, it tried to kill the Big 12 by taking CU, OU, UT and aTm but couldn't pull it off. Just in the past 12 months, the Pac-12 tried again and even issued a statement that they might go expansion hunting with Big 12 schools (after its desperate attempt to rekindle Bowlsby's merger idea was quickly and soundly rejected by Yormark).

Somehow you were wronged if there is a standard practice within the Association of which you are a member, you have fully and aggressively engaged in the practice, and in the latest round you lost when every previous time you won? GMAFB.
My god man it’s the American way! If you don’t like it sue! You might not get your way but you could get some $.

My god man it’s the American way! If you don’t like it sue! You might not get your way but you could get some $.
Remember when the USFL won its suit against the NFL and was awarded $1? That's what I'm thinking. 😂

Edit: In all seriousness, there will be lawsuits and attempts to get them dropped by inviting someone into the club or paying a large amount to settle. I've been thinking that @Liver actually has a point about collusion and antitrust when it can be easily shown that many schools in the B1G & SEC are actually valued lower by media partners than other schools but earn more than them by virtue of nothing other than conference affiliation... and also demonstrated they participated in discussions and votes to weaken other conferences to harm those more valuable brands. I mean, raise your hand if you think that Washington State is a less successful football & basketball brand and lower performing media asset than Northwestern or Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
swc was an entirely different thing and time. big east there was litigation.

who is going to sue? DOJ for one.

are we over the threshold yet? i dunno. but, i know for sure that the big is thinking about this very issue and it is playing a role in what they do next.

i mentioned a few of the aggrieved parties. there are many many more, of course. hell, there is so much duplicity and bad faith going around, it is easier to list who can't sue rather than who can.

sec is in the cat bird seat in my view.
Its pretty hard to see how several programs were not materially harmed by these moves. If Fox & Co didnt bid aggressively or fairly for Pac rights but then suddenly swoop in to add the cream of the leftovers when the conference collapses …. Someone might have a case. Hopefully someone took good notes on their initial P12 negotiations.

If Fox deny pro rata rights to the remaining P12 refugees while paying UW OU Cal Stan more…. That seems like bad faith too.

Its a monopoly. An exclusive club.

I don't buy the "first mover" application to this concept. The idea that being the "first mover" to a--presently--speculative-streaming platform concept presumes that when the time comes for that speculative-platform to be sought-after, the "first mover" would have some latent priority benefit which would lead to a second-contract 2030 (?) windfall. In this world, especially in the streaming realm, it's essentially about estimated future viewership numbers, not about having a business-relationship history with a particular platform.

By 2030, every sports media company will--likely--have moved to full streaming service, and the only thing the "first mover" from 2023 got was the "first" subscription rate payment plateau, which got locked in before the streaming-only prices began to increase due to overall systemic advancement.

I think CU was smart to move to the BIG12 now, lock in real money based on the "old" system for the most part. When the new system is finally on-line, we can capitalize and shift into it along with all the other major conferences.
This is basically the same thing they tried to do with the P12N IMO. I don't see it working. Was interesting listening to Canzano yesterday for a bit. Kind of been enjoying watching him flail. His audience doesn't like this at all. He had three calls (might have even been consecutive) from Duck fans who flat told him they weren't subscribing. Saw my dad today. Asked him about the Pac deal. He said I would not buy a product like that.

We're heading towards an all streaming model-but let's be honest.......that's coming when my generation (I turn 37 at the end of the month) retires, and this entire baby boomer generation kind of dies off. Its not the immediate future in my view.

This is basically the same thing they tried to do with the P12N IMO. I don't see it working. Was interesting listening to Canzano yesterday for a bit. Kind of been enjoying watching him flail. His audience doesn't like this at all. He had three calls (might have even been consecutive) from Duck fans who flat told him they weren't subscribing. Saw my dad today. Asked him about the Pac deal. He said I would not buy a product like that.

We're heading towards an all streaming model-but let's be honest.......that's coming when my generation (I turn 37 at the end of the month) retires, and this entire baby boomer generation kind of dies off. Its not the immediate future in my view.
For Xers and older, streaming mostly means something that looks like cable or satellite (i.e., Sling) plus the Prime Video app that got comped with the club membership we bought to get free shipping from the Amazon online store, maybe a free music app like Pandora, and maybe another that gives us a lot of movies and shows everyone talks about like Netflix.

Remember when the USFL won its suit against the NFL and was awarded $1? That's what I'm thinking. 😂

Edit: In all seriousness, there will be lawsuits and attempts to get them dropped by inviting someone into the club or paying a large amount to settle. I've been thinking that @Liver actually has a point about collusion and antitrust when it can be easily shown that many schools in the B1G & SEC are actually valued lower by media partners than other schools but earn more than them by virtue of nothing other than conference affiliation... and also demonstrated they participated in discussions and votes to weaken other conferences to harm those more valuable brands. I mean, raise your hand if you think that Washington State is a less successful football & basketball brand and lower performing media asset than Northwestern or Vanderbilt.

Do you remember when it was AT&T and all the Baby Bell companies under one roof? All it took was a court order and the monopoly was broken up.

Do you remember when it was AT&T and all the Baby Bell companies under one roof? All it took was a court order and the monopoly was broken up.
You'd have thought that after that happened that cable wouldn't have ended up being protected monopolies based on which company got the contract to run the wire to homes in your area and then for them to be able to consolidate.

I don't see much rhyme or reason to what the courts and government choose to protect or destroy.

Back