What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Remember when the USFL won its suit against the NFL and was awarded $1? That's what I'm thinking. 😂

Edit: In all seriousness, there will be lawsuits and attempts to get them dropped by inviting someone into the club or paying a large amount to settle. I've been thinking that @Liver actually has a point about collusion and antitrust when it can be easily shown that many schools in the B1G & SEC are actually valued lower by media partners than other schools but earn more than them by virtue of nothing other than conference affiliation... and also demonstrated they participated in discussions and votes to weaken other conferences to harm those more valuable brands. I mean, raise your hand if you think that Washington State is a less successful football & basketball brand and lower performing media asset than Northwestern or Vanderbilt.
Yep, the more I think about it, the more I agree with Liver. On its face something doesn't smell right. As a combined entity there were no linear broadcast slots or money available for Fox and ESPN to make a credible bid and the league was only worth $20 million a school on a streaming only platform? When they already had broadcast slots being used by the P12?

But now that the league is breaking up there are suddenly going to be broadcast slots available and enough money to pay everyone but OSU and WSU at least $32 million per school? On its face that looks like market manipulation by Fox and ESPN. Particularly Fox, who's actions will have allowed them to lock up every large market in the West outside of Phoenix and Denver for an entity they own a majority stake in. Seems like the Cougs and Beavs would at least have enough of a case to make this painful for everyone involved.

Delaney has said in the past that he believed going much bigger than 16 does risk anti-trust issues.

Wanted to get the latest bit of comedy from Canzano's twitter up here.

Well, I'm sure Canzano is reporting that UW and UO have no interest in B1G's appetite for them. They remain "excited and aligned" after the GK meeting yesterday. But now B1G is seeing just how valuable the Pac 9 media deal is and can't handle that kind of money going somewhere other than the B1G. I'm sure UW UO Cal Stanford will stand up in a united NO and move forward with the Apple deal to share their windfall with their prestigious academic colleagues, who also happen to play football. And WSU/OSU, of course. And whatever directional state school to meet minimum inventory.

President called the revenue gap between the ACC and B1G/SEC an existential crisis for FSU. They love the ACC, but they've got to get competitive revenue one way or another. No move, but threw down the gauntlet.
Yeah, the plastic air gauntlet. That media deal is an anchor. With fewer resources available from Floridians for higher education in general, FSU is on a train to irrelevancy-ville.

Sounds like UA, ASU, and Utah will all be Big XII bound soon.

For the non-X folk:
F2kWkI4bgAMBJQb

Last edited:
I think you've underestimated the pull the networks/streaming platforms have going forward in deciding who they want in the leagues they broadcast. It's clear what they are doing here IMO in regards to realignment. The teams that don't belong at the big table will be eventually pushed out. e.g., Rutgers, Vandy et al.

ESPN and the broadcast networks are losing money and power every day. They won't be able to dictate to colleges and conferences in the future like they have in the past. Streaming killed that golden goose. I'm betting there will be less TV money in the next contracts, but also less pressure on schools to abide by corporations' whims.

Well, I'm sure Canzano is reporting that UW and UO have no interest in B1G's appetite for them. They remain "excited and aligned" after the GK meeting yesterday. But now B1G is seeing just how valuable the Pac 9 media deal is and can't handle that kind of money going somewhere other than the B1G. I'm sure UW UO Cal Stanford will stand up in a united NO and move forward with the Apple deal to share their windfall with their prestigious academic colleagues, who also happen to play football. And WSU/OSU, of course. And whatever directional state school to meet minimum inventory.
He's going to keep blaming anything but the useless leadership of the Pac 12 for this.

And I'm starting to wonder if the Big 10's "interest" in Cal and Stanford wasn't leaked by Cal and Stanford.

If the B1G took UW and Stanford to crash the Pac, the Big 12 (after having already added UA and ASU for 15) should release a statement that it has high interest in expanding to 18, is evaluating options, and is very intrigued by the cultural fit and stability that Oregon State, Wazzu and Boise State would add to the conference in the Pacific Northwest market - with emphasis on liking OSU's proximity to Portland and none of them duplicating markets.

It's not a bad model, actually, and the responses from Duck & Ute fans would be legendary.

Only see this if Stanford agrees to funnel $40-50mm per year in endowment dollars to football and another $10-15mm per year to non revs to supplement funding deficits. Travel budgets alone will triple or quadruple. No network is going to give much credence to Stanford as a value add for eyeballs.
I think sometimes it’s forgotten that the networks are pulling the strings, not the conferences

If the B1G took UW and Stanford to crash the Pac, the Big 12 (after having already added UA and ASU for 15) should release a statement that it has high interest in expanding to 18, is evaluating options, and is very intrigued by the cultural fit and stability that Oregon State, Wazzu and Boise State would add to the conference in the Pacific Northwest market - with emphasis on liking OSU's proximity to Portland and none of them duplicating markets.

It's not a bad model, actually, and the responses from Duck & Ute fans would be legendary.
I don’t get adding UA and ASU now. Accept one of them to get to 14, and create demand for the last two spots without completely dismantling the PAC.

Oregon and Cal gonna find a home regardless. It's Oregon State and Washington State that I worry about

I don’t get adding UA and ASU now. Accept one of them to get to 14, and create demand for the last two spots without completely dismantling the PAC.
If Fox wants ASU, it will get ASU. Still not worried about ASU. They will get an invite from the ACC.

I just had this thought with Utah fans. I mean they love to talk about winning a conference that won't exist in a week twice in a row.....but that brand is so good that the worst team (their words, not mine) in their conference is basically dragging them to a league they've spent the past year deriding.

And just like that CU is left to fade away at the little kids table. This consolidation might have worked for CU if the B1G had waited for another 5-6 years, but having it move this fast means CU is locked out of the B1G and SEC. Yeah, B12 can pick up ACC schools, but nothing premium...Pitt/Louisville/NC State.

Hopefully, the end game is a three conference monster and CU can regularly be king of the little kids table, like back when CU was winning the B12 North.
But we’re going to be in a P3. You know, a P3 that makes 2x less than the other two. 🤮

If Oregon State and Washington State are smart. I would start talking to UCONN, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, Gonzaga, UNLV, SDSU, USF, and Memphis and seeing if they can join as a pac to the ACC to compete with the Big XII. You got no conference and there is no way they can go from 28 mil to 4 mil in the MWC. No way. They have to stay up. Those schools would die moving down to the MWC.

If Fox wants ASU, it will get ASU. Still not worried about ASU. They will get an invite from the ACC.
I struggle to see the ACC expanding while their top teams are trying to leave the conference (like the LA schools blocked PAC expansion).

ESPN and the broadcast networks are losing money and power every day. They won't be able to dictate to colleges and conferences in the future like they have in the past. Streaming killed that golden goose. I'm betting there will be less TV money in the next contracts, but also less pressure on schools to abide by corporations' whims.

Streaming has killed a few golden gooses. Check out what is going on in Hollywood right now, actors and writers are on strike because they have taken pay cuts on their residuals from streaming.

GettyImages-1585502813.jpg

If Oregon State and Washington State are smart. I would start talking to UCONN, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, Gonzaga, UNLV, SDSU, USF, and Memphis and seeing if they can join as a pac to the ACC to compete with the Big XII. You got no conference and there is no way they can go from 28 mil to 4 mil in the MWC. No way. They have to stay up. Those schools would die moving down to the MWC.
I have to think that FSU, Miami, Clemson and UNC could find 4 others to break away from the ACC and form something new that commanded a competitive deal. However, I also believe that if that happened the B1G/SEC would sweep in and gobble them up rather than allow a new media $ competitor.

My guess is that 8 votes to dissolve the ACC is the next move and FSU is going to spearhead it because it's their best out.

I struggle to see the ACC expanding while their top teams are trying to leave the conference (like the LA schools blocked PAC expansion).
It's all about the 8 teams outside of the magnificent 7 especially Notre Dame. As long as Georgia Tech stays with ND, the conference should survive. It's likely to lose the magnificent 7 though. No doubt about it but the ACC GOR means that's a lot of money the ACC will get in return for the 8 schools and ND is likely to get 65-70 per year from NBC for home games. They will likely what the B1G is getting plus they get the other ACC GOR. Of course, ESPN has to be willing to take on the new schools. That's easier said than done.

Oregon State and Washington State must be extremely creative or their school is done. This will effect educators too.

I have to think that FSU, Miami, Clemson and UNC could find 4 others to break away from the ACC and form something new that commanded a competitive deal. However, I also believe that if that happened the B1G/SEC would sweep in and gobble them up rather than allow a new media $ competitor.

My guess is that 8 votes to dissolve the ACC is the next move and FSU is going to spearhead it because it's their best out.
That's the hard part. Who's the 8th school. ND doesn't have to go nowhere. NBC and the committee already granranteed them a spot in the playoffs if ranked in the top 16.

Georgia Tech is the one school that's scary as they fit travel with Clemson and FSU and give the B1G the Atlanta market where there are a ton of B1G grads.

Duke is a possibility but unlikely.

The rest like Cuse, BC, Pitt, Wake, or Louisville are just schools to ESPN. I've gotten pretty good info that ND will ONLY go to the B1G if the ACC dissolves. That's a legit possibility.

Right now, SEC likely to get VT, UVa, NC State, UNC, and Miami.

Clemson and FSU for the B1G

Only see this if Stanford agrees to funnel $40-50mm per year in endowment dollars to football and another $10-15mm per year to non revs to supplement funding deficits. Travel budgets alone will triple or quadruple. No network is going to give much credence to Stanford as a value add for eyeballs.
Only possible reason to take furd from a revenue standpoint is if it's a loss leader to try and land ND.

At some point the B1G is going to control enough of the teams that get ND ratings that they won't really have a choice.

Of course, that point is also the point at which @Liver 's doj anti-trust case becomes enough of a slam dunk that a random ausa won't be able to not bring the case.

I was listening to ESPN radio a little bit ago and the two guys on it were talking about how they don’t think FSU is very in demand by the SEC and certainly not by the B1G.

That seems crazy to me as they are one of only a few programs that have a Natty in the CFP era, along with blue blood type history. But it was national guys saying it, no uninformed locals

I was listening to ESPN radio a little bit ago and the two guys on it were talking about how they don’t think FSU is very in demand by the SEC and certainly not by the B1G.

That seems crazy to me as they are one of only a few programs that have a Natty in the CFP era, along with blue blood type history. But it was national guys saying it, no uninformed locals
FSU drops 300MM to leave the ACC and just ends up in the B12 and gets smoked by Prime’s Buffs in year 1

That would be beautiful

Back