What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

On a side note, now that OU will be gone I don't believe there is any team in the B12 wearing the Jordan brand might be an opportunity there for CU.
4txx0m.jpg
35aa8ec351a16603954b3a53e0957a4a.jpg

If the former Pac-12 is waiting until 2025 to absorb the MWC, what do they do for 2024? How do they even function? I can’t imagine there’s a TV deal. Can they even call themselves a conference?
The NCAA bylaws say that they can't be a conference if they are below 6 teams.

From what I have read, there are funds that can be "awarded" as damages for the 2024 season and then the 4 remaining teams can join a conference after they collect the damages.

Practically speaking, the 8 teams that just left are going to have to settle with the 4 teams left behind and then everyone will move on and adapt to what the next set of rules are.

I can't think of any type of business that operates this way. There are major rule changes every 5-10 years that only government or institutions can adapt to because they have so much money. None of these rules and changes resemble smart business practices.

The NCAA bylaws say that they can't be a conference if they are below 6 teams.

From what I have read, there are funds that can be "awarded" as damages for the 2024 season and then the 4 remaining teams can join a conference after they collect the damages.

Practically speaking, the 8 teams that just left are going to have to settle with the 4 teams left behind and then everyone will move on and adapt to what the next set of rules are.

I can't think of any type of business that operates this way. There are major rule changes every 5-10 years that only government or institutions can adapt to because they have so much money. None of these rules and changes resemble smart business practices.
I would think Colorado wouldn’t be on the hook as opposed to ASU and Utah. We left behind a viable conference per NCAA rules. Utah and ASU triggered the 6 team limit. They can pay the damages.

Wait a minute isn't that why CU joined the P12 to be closer to alumni in CA. where the money is?
You only donate to win...
it is far more complicated than the donors at CU suck narrative.

the limits unilaterally imposed upon gb were incredibly divisive. lots and lots of folks who support CU fought hard against all that. all the bad that transpired after the gb stuff was predictable and folks were very vocal with CU about that.

so, then they bring in hawkins. ok. that gives us some hope. donations ticked up. he turned out to be a paper tiger. that is where things got weird.

a core group of insiders, including ex players and boosters decided the fix was a return to the glory days. thus JE and EB came in and Coach Mac even offered to step in as a transitional HC if needed.

the true believers were giddy. the failure was epic. and this exposed a lot of problems with how to run and compete in the current era.

we swung for and missed on several "home run" hires. stuff got done infrastructure-wise and some other stuff but now you have a very burned and disgruntled booster base and hope dwindling. the hires and the culture reflect the morass we found ourselves in.

RG and CU needed a big bang. they lined up what they needed to do to get it green lighted and in comes Coach Prime. not surprisingly, the donor flood gates top to bottom are wide open again. there is hope from some concrete proof of life.

we have momentum now and if we can keep it up and if there are results on the field, this thing can and will become stronger than one HC, even one with the serious drip of Coach Prime.

I would think Colorado wouldn’t be on the hook as opposed to ASU and Utah. We left behind a viable conference per NCAA rules. Utah and ASU triggered the 6 team limit. They can pay the damages.
"sue everybody" - Jerky Boys

There is a fund that is available for damages already in place. That doesn't mean that the 4 schools won't sue. I imagine that not only Colorado would be a defendant, UCLA & USC would be defendants as well.

come for the dialogue and stay for the freddy witticisms.

also, around here it is I-DOT if you wish to be taken seriously.
You’re so funny! Just because I never liked your narrative and was right you love to bash! Bring it on big boy!

"sue everybody" - Jerky Boys

There is a fund that is available for damages already in place. That doesn't mean that the 4 schools won't sue. I imagine that not only Colorado would be a defendant, UCLA & USC would be defendants as well.
All of those statements and press releases saying “Colorado doesn’t matter” won’t help the case for the conference. 🤣

In any case, the idea of lawsuits are usually signs of desperation from the minds of fans that rarely pan out or materialize in the real world.

Canzano doesn't seem very smart. I assume that the "additional costs and damages" are those that are incurred while the contract exists--this season. What additional costs will those 4 teams incur this season?
His "additional costs and damages" is just a bunch of nonsense. I have read the Pac-12's constitution and bylaws (yeah, I know), and there is nothing about that whatsoever. The bylaws give each team an unconditional right to withdraw from the conference without penalty as of Aug 1, 2024. If we are talking lawsuits, the teams leaving would have a good case against the conference is anything other than their full share (minus things like the Comcast repayment) isn't paid.

All of those statements and press releases saying “Colorado doesn’t matter” won’t help the case for the conference. 🤣

In any case, the idea of lawsuits are usually signs of desperation from the minds of fans that rarely pan out or materialize in the real world.
I didn't think of it from that angle.... we can use the defense of:

CU calls Oregon coach Dan Lanning to the witness stand:

Coach Lanning said we didn't win anything and didn't affect anything! Isn't that correct coach Lanning?

I totally agree with this sentiment on OSU & WSU.

However, I was checking in on Cal & Stanford fan messaging last night and I'm thinking that if anyone deserves to get relegated it is them. The general community consensus is that they don't get how universities with their global prestige and history could be left behind (but they think they get why OSU/WSU did). They also seriously look down on pretty much every potential Pac expansion candidate. In short, they think that athletic conference is mostly about academic status, research intensity, and how prestigious these factors make a university. They still don't get that this is entirely about how many eyeballs your football team causes to be glued to ESPN or Fox.

It's this attitude by Cal & Stanford which permeated the Pac-12 and led to its arrogance - causing a dozen years of terrible business decisions. Fvck Cal and fvck Stanford.
Here’s the mind of a Stanford alum - my cousin. She graduated about 8 years ago. Shes a huge sports fan, so much so she is now the Manager of Baseball Communications for the Oakland A’s. She would text me every time CU played Stanford to give me ****.

Yesterday when I asked what she thought of realignment, she said “looks like we’ll be seeing each other in the Mountain West with everyone but Johnny and Jenny (our cousins that went to UCLA and USC)”. After some discussion, I came to realize she had no idea what had happened to the Pac-12 and didn’t realize the 4 were all this were left. Then she said, “well, maybe Stanford can start playing teams more on their level.”

Some people have asked for a promotion/relegation system in CFB.

BYU, UCF, Cincy and Houston, all programs that have invested in their football programs at near P5 levels over the years were promoted.

Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State, all programs that either couldn’t give two ****s about football or simply don’t have the resources we’re relegated.

This is interesting.... the remaining 4 teams may have a large payout if they stand still for a year. Man, this HAS to go to litigation- or at least a settlement. Lots of work for lawyers. I have to get my hat thrown into the ring!

Payout????
That is a poor article, IMO. He states they had secured a media deal - no they had an offer on the table which was pulled when some members balked at it. The article is base on a Tweet from Canzano!! Give me a break is modern journalism now based on Tweets.

The $420 Million is some outer space number from John Canzano that I would like to see the math on how he got to that number - maybe the same math the PAC used with Comcast. I doubt the PAC has that much in reserve. The PAC has one more season of 12 member and 8 of those members are leaving after that, I am sure that Canzano (what a hack) is using this coming season's media rights distribution as part of his $420 Million number which is somewhere around $250 Million (depending on your source) and that money will have to be distributed. It seems like the major assets left in the PAC will be the PACN, BB playoff distributions (paid out over 6 years based on units) and loans to members.

I have no idea what the numbers would be, but Sunday Ticket is not a great comp. Most fans already get their favorite NFL team on linear.
Only if they live in their team’s local area. All sorts of diaspora of NFL fans that make Sunday Ticket a massive revenue generator.

I don’t understand why people aren’t giving Dan Lanning a bunch of sh**. His school was the only thing holding the conference together and they blew it up! For all the crap he gave CU he’s an ahole and a hypocrit!

I don’t understand why people aren’t giving Dan Lanning a bunch of sh**. His school was the only thing holding the conference together and they blew it up! For all the crap he gave CU he’s an ahole and a hypocrit!
I’m trying to remember the last time he won anything of note that impacted the conference in any way. I can’t remember anything. Do you remember anything?

Last edited:

Cause in the end him and the program he represents have never really been worth getting upset over?

Back