What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Adding to this, if this getting formed coincided with the ACC breaking I bet Duke and GA Tech would jump to this conference.

How long before Northwestern and Vanderbilt decide this would be a better fit?
I don't agree with the "better fit" argument. As long as Northwestern and Vanderbilt are receiving their large checks, it would be career suicide for any University President to make a decision to go to a sports conference because it was a better fit. Once the courts decided the TV case back in the 80's, college football has been headed down this road. They have a marketable business product that uses the resources of the government (state) and the product is now intertwined with both capitalism and government that there is no way anyone could make the decision to extricate the 2. Business always wins out, this is America for for for godsakes!

I don't like it, but the s what we have.

I don't agree with the "better fit" argument. As long as Northwestern and Vanderbilt are receiving their large checks, it would be career suicide for any University President to make a decision to go to a sports conference because it was a better fit. Once the courts decided the TV case back in the 80's, college football has been headed down this road. They have a marketable business product that uses the resources of the government (state) and the product is now intertwined with both capitalism and government that there is no way anyone could make the decision to extricate the 2. Business always wins out, this is America for for for godsakes!

I don't like it, but the s what we have.
I don't think the money differences from tv contracts are that significant for certain universities. Or the exposure they get from football that others rely on much more heavily to drive applications & donations to have a healthy & growing university.

I don't think the money differences from tv contracts are that significant for certain universities. Or the exposure they get from football that others rely on much more heavily to drive applications & donations to have a healthy & growing university.
The only reason I disagree is that the TV money is the simplest way to comply with all of the male/ female sports that are required under Title IX. If Vandy and Northwestern were to take a lot less money, I think then the number of non-revenue sports becomes more heavily scrutinized and then "on the chopping block."

I believe that the TV money is the top reason why there are so many non-revenue programs. I may be wrong here.

The only reason I disagree is that the TV money is the simplest way to comply with all of the male/ female sports that are required under Title IX. If Vandy and Northwestern were to take a lot less money, I think then the number of non-revenue sports becomes more heavily scrutinized and then "on the chopping block."

I believe that the TV money is the top reason why there are so many non-revenue programs. I may be wrong here.
You are not wrong at all

If CFB broke away from the NCAA and used its collective weight to negotiate a TV contract that paid everyone the same base pay regardless of what "tier" they end up in (payouts for postseason/championships still apply). Then you can have a relegation based system that doesn't **** up everyone else.

If CFB broke away from the NCAA and used its collective weight to negotiate a TV contract that paid everyone the same base pay regardless of what "tier" they end up in (payouts for postseason/championships still apply). Then you can have a relegation based system that doesn't **** up everyone else.
That would most likely mean the big blue bloods taking a pay cut. Why would they do that? And CFB doesn't need to break away from the NCAA to do that.

Also, I see these posts about relegation as if relegation is the goal. Why? I don't see a single advantage to the concept within college sports.
I don’t think it’s the goal, but I think it’s a thought because 20-30% of the programs in the two big money conferences are irrelevant and a number of great programs and brands across the country are on the outside looking in, due to no fault of their own.

I agree it shouldn’t be the goal but relegation is a system that theoretically allows a more fair, merit based system, which we obviously don’t have right now

I don’t think it’s the goal, but I think it’s a thought because 20-30% of the programs in the two big money conferences are irrelevant and a number of great programs and brands across the country are on the outside looking in, due to no fault of their own.

I agree it shouldn’t be the goal but relegation is a system that theoretically allows a more fair, merit based system, which we obviously don’t have right now
It also creates late season interest and meaningful stakes for teams other than just the few competing for the playoff and conference titles. I also don’t think it’s right for college football, but I see why it’s a thing - threat of relegation/hope for promotion helps pack stadiums late in the season for teams that otherwise would be forgotten.

tangential to relegation, and I htink I posted before, but the old Big East had a system in hoops where only 12/14 teams made the conference tournament at the end of the year.

I liked the idea as it gave me, a VT fan, something to root for and maintain interest to the end of the regular season. I think relegation offers something similar.

tangential to relegation, and I htink I posted before, but the old Big East had a system in hoops where only 12/14 teams made the conference tournament at the end of the year.

I liked the idea as it gave me, a VT fan, something to root for and maintain interest to the end of the regular season. I think relegation offers something similar.

Perhaps that is what a 18 team conference could offer since the conference tourney would have 16 teams.

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow
Nebraska AD Trev Alberts tells @Amie_Just there will be more expansion. “History is unkind to conferences that have not had the courage to expand. I don’t believe it’s done. It’s never been done. It’s more likely than not that there will be continued periods of angst. I believe…

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory

@col_rado
·
Follow
He’s talking about the super conference. Top 40 schools. 2 conferences, 8 divisions, 5 schools per division.

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow
Nebraska AD Trev Alberts tells @Amie_Just there will be more expansion. “History is unkind to conferences that have not had the courage to expand. I don’t believe it’s done. It’s never been done. It’s more likely than not that there will be continued periods of angst. I believe…

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory
@col_rado
·
Follow
He’s talking about the super conference. Top 40 schools. 2 conferences, 8 divisions, 5 schools per division.
where's CSU?

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory
@col_rado
·
Follow
My opinion on the greatness or abject stupidity of the idea of a top 40 conference largely revolves around whether a certain school is included.

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory
@col_rado
·
Follow
I don’t hate it, but I think the number is likely to be closer to 64 and will include schools like UA, KU, Indiana and Cal. Not that those are great football schools, but this new league is going to need some more bottom feeders.

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory
@col_rado
·
Follow
Maybe come up with a different name than mountain for our division, since it includes Nebraska and OU. 😁

Maybe come up with a different name than mountain for our division, since it includes Nebraska and OU. 😁
Actually, this touches on an important point- when was the last time you saw one of these scenarios that did not feature divisions or, at the very least, pods? Maybe it's because we've been wired to think this way as CFB fans, and we'd be ok without regional groupings, but I think it belies a very strong desire from CFB fans to have regional groupings that make geographic sense. I kind of think the conferences are playing with fire by throwing geographic groupings completely out of the window here. Eventually people will stop caring and they won't ever go back to caring.

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory
@col_rado
·
Follow
**** Trev Alberts

Also, I see these posts about relegation as if relegation is the goal. Why? I don't see a single advantage to the concept within college sports.

Relegation absolutely isn't happening.

College football right now is all about money. It is about the millions that come from media contracts, it is also about the millions that can be generated from alumni/donors who evidence shows are much more willing to sign big checks when the football team is in the spotlight.

There is absolutely zero benefit for the schools who are at the top level to allow lower level schools to move up and take shares of what they have and there is zero interest by schools in willingly agreeing to a system that could send them down to a lower level.

Schools like Illinois and Indiana would much rather be a bottom feeder in the B1G making $100 million per year and getting coverage on national TV (even if they lose) than to be the top school in the MAC. Not even comparable.

SEC does that now. CUSA does that for baseball.

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory
@col_rado
·
Follow
Sweet. So nothing changes. South and (maybe look for a different name) Mideast still dominate.
And while I like the name Mountain for CU’s conference, not sure it actually applies to who’s in it.

@Brett_McMurphy
·
Follow

r7FWdJ5E_bigger.jpg

Victory
@col_rado
·
Follow
So who are the P5 schools that get screwed in this scenario?

Wazzu
OreSt
Cal
Arizona
BYU
****Baylor
TXTech
Houston
Kansas
KSU
OkSt
TCU
Iowa St
Northwestern
Indiana
Cincinnati
Vandy
Louisville
Mississippi State
Georgia Tech
UCF
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
Boston College
Syracuse

I may have missed one or two, but biggest snubs here would be Kansas, Louisville, Arizona, NC State, Duke, and Maryland. And maybe biggest of all is taking VT over UVA - no way.

edit: also it’s clear that whoever created this list believes that men’s basketball is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
So who are the P5 schools that get screwed in this scenario?

Wazzu
OreSt
Cal
Arizona
BYU
****Baylor
TXTech
Houston
Kansas
KSU
OkSt
TCU
Iowa St
Northwestern
Indiana
Cincinnati
Vandy
Louisville
Mississippi State
Georgia Tech
UCF
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
Boston College
Syracuse

I may have missed one or two, but biggest snubs here would be Kansas, Louisville, Arizona, NC State, Duke, and Maryland. And maybe biggest of all is taking VT over UVA - no way.
TCU:
How it started - play in the natty
How it ended - DII with Colorado St

Back