What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I don’t get the AZ love next year with the coach and his staff gone.
Not to mention they've lost 10 players to the portal, all of which have left for bigger P5 programs, with the exception of JDL who went to Texas State. Their incoming Freshman class avg recruit rating is 12th in the Big 12, their transfer class avg recruit rating is 16th in the Big 12, and their overall class rating (including transfers) ranks 16th in the Big 12.

They still have Fafita and McMillian and will have the Spring Portal period to add more (also possibly lose one or both of them), but that's not a 9 win team.

counting title 9 compliance (adding more women's sports) i do wonder what it would take to add a baseball or hockey team.

baseball would probably be better in our new conference of flyover states but hockey would be bad ass.

I would love baseball, hockey or both. I know at some juncture, there was an analysis of making the foam dome multi-use (hoops and hockey). I do not think that it worked. Beyond the money/Title IX hurdles, the other issue is where to put a baseball/softball stadium. This leads into the never ending and still ongoing East Campus fight. IMO, that property would be by far the best place for a great baseball/softball stadium for it to be anywhere near campus. They would need to build better/more access points; but this would be a special expansion for the overall University. Currently, our campus is pretty land-locked.

Hockey had a bridge location with the First Bank Center (Broomfield Events Center) but they are bull-dozing it. For anyone that has gone to concerts, past hockey, or high school commencements there, it is a great arena. It took $45M to build and is only 16 years old. They still owe $34M on the original bond.

Not to mention they've lost 10 players to the portal, all of which have left for bigger P5 programs, with the exception of JDL who went to Texas State. Their incoming Freshman class avg recruit rating is 12th in the Big 12, their transfer class avg recruit rating is 16th in the Big 12, and their overall class rating (including transfers) ranks 16th in the Big 12.

They still have Fafita and McMillian and will have the Spring Portal period to add more (also possibly lose one or both of them), but that's not a 9 win team.
This does drive a point home for me- I know CFB has always been a roller coaster for most programs (up one year, down the next), but I think the variance is going to get much larger from year to year for everyone but the blue bloods.

AZ is a good example- that was a team that could have legitimately won 10 if not 11 games last year (lost both OT games they played), and next year I think they'll be lucky to get bowl eligible- I could easily see them winning 4 or fewer with a couple of bad breaks.

This does drive a point home for me- I know CFB has always been a roller coaster for most programs (up one year, down the next), but I think the variance is going to get much larger from year to year for everyone but the blue bloods.

AZ is a good example- that was a team that could have legitimately won 10 if not 11 games last year (lost both OT games they played), and next year I think they'll be lucky to get bowl eligible- I could easily see them winning 4 or fewer with a couple of bad breaks.
They lost significant pieces and depth. Not to mention, Fisch is a damn good coach. People really underestimate loses and retention if the team is hot or cold finishing the season

Or, you visit every school in the Big 12 and they are sleepers for the championship

Why the hell do folks use ON3 for the recruiting and ON3 does not include transfers?

Or, you visit every school in the Big 12 and they are sleepers for the championship

Why the hell do folks use ON3 for the recruiting and ON3 does not include transfers?

On3 does include transfers

They aren't 100% accurate. Keep forgetting to remove Ward and replace him with Jaylen Wester

Reactions: GRM
On3 does include transfers

They aren't 100% accurate. Keep forgetting to remove Ward and replace him with Jaylen Wester
But that is their proprietary INCOMING-OUTGOING, rather than just put the Transfer and High School kids together in a net rating

Many in the Big12 think we are adding a 58th rated group of kids, instead of dozens of much better transfers than last year, and while a very small HS class, a per player average of about the 12th best class of just High School

We got a ton better in every way that matters, and now they cannot use the "Throw people together" BS since we have an established expectation, with leaders, and most of the fat was trimmed, or will be trimmed after Spring Ball.

But that is their proprietary INCOMING-OUTGOING, rather than just put the Transfer and High School kids together in a net rating

Many in the Big12 think we are adding a 58th rated group of kids, instead of dozens of much better transfers than last year, and while a very small HS class, a per player average of about the 12th best class of just High School

We got a ton better in every way that matters, and now they cannot use the "Throw people together" BS since we have an established expectation, with leaders, and most of the fat was trimmed, or will be trimmed after Spring Ball.
I don't believe they do net ratings with Transfer and HS recruits.

Who cares what Big XII fans think about us. They aren't fans of the program or know what's going on here.

I don't believe they do net ratings with Transfer and HS recruits.

Who cares what Big XII fans think about us. They aren't fans of the program or know what's going on here.
But, it is interesting to hear their takes on what Colorado is doing and how they all hang their hats on the end of last season and how they believe we have ZERO chemistry.

UCF is gonna beat us cause we have no chemistry on our OL and Gus is the greatest coach ever

Nebaska is gonna beat us with a freshman QB because even though we pounded them with last years team, they promise they will not fumble or turn it over and own the LOS. Freshman will be clean in his second game against 2-3 of the best Cornerbacks in the country!

I'd be stoked if I'm an UCF fan with KJ Jefferson coming to Orlando. You know the UCF head coach was the head coach for Cam Newton at Auburn? They also have what appears to be a good backup QB in Timmy McClain.

Travis Hunter and the other CU DBs need to be ready to defend the long pass game against Jefferson since he was pretty good with that at Arkansas.

That's why the game at UCF became less winnable after Jefferson announced he was transferring to UCF. Not easy going against a 245 LB QB who can run and gun it.

Seeing that this seems to be the general future of college football and the ncaa thread these days

the ncaa is on its death bed and the b1g/sec or elite programs are ready to take its crown, at least for the sports that generate money
And this ruling is for an Ivy League member, so not even an institution that awards athletic scholarships.

i dont think that angle matters much here
I always thought a court determination of an employer-employee relationship would have been on the grounds that it being established through the scholarship agreement and its obligations and rights of both parties. That's why it being Dartmouth was a bit of a surprise.

Reactions: GRM
I would love baseball, hockey or both. I know at some juncture, there was an analysis of making the foam dome multi-use (hoops and hockey). I do not think that it worked. Beyond the money/Title IX hurdles, the other issue is where to put a baseball/softball stadium. This leads into the never ending and still ongoing East Campus fight. IMO, that property would be by far the best place for a great baseball/softball stadium for it to be anywhere near campus. They would need to build better/more access points; but this would be a special expansion for the overall University. Currently, our campus is pretty land-locked.

Hockey had a bridge location with the First Bank Center (Broomfield Events Center) but they are bull-dozing it. For anyone that has gone to concerts, past hockey, or high school commencements there, it is a great arena. It took $45M to build and is only 16 years old. They still owe $34M on the original bond.
Both hockey and baseball don’t make sense at CU. There is no pedigree of hockey at CU and Colorado already has DU and Colorado College who have won championships (plus produced recent high-end NHL talent). There is also the AHL affiliate for the Avalanche relatively close to Boulder in Loveland. Development in Boulder is difficult for a myriad of reasons and the altitude makes it a tough sell for high-level baseball. With the looming threat of consolidation via the B1G and SEC for the main revenue generator for college athletics adding a new expensive sport is short sighted.

Both hockey and baseball don’t make sense at CU. There is no pedigree of hockey at CU and Colorado already has DU and Colorado College who have won championships (plus produced recent high-end NHL talent). There is also the AHL affiliate for the Avalanche relatively close to Boulder in Loveland. Development in Boulder is difficult for a myriad of reasons and the altitude makes it a tough sell for high-level baseball. With the looming threat of consolidation via the B1G and SEC for the main revenue generator for college athletics adding a new expensive sport is short sighted.
In addition to the huge rise in popularity for college softball, baseball and softball usually coincides with a large athletic department budget. I suspect that is appealing in the world of conference expansion. Maybe only to a small degree, but if you have a small budget and minimal number of sports, I don’t think you can be one of the “Big” brands of the future. I haven’t checked the data, but I suspect almost all Big 10 and SEC schools have baseball and softball.

In addition to the huge rise in popularity for college softball, baseball and softball usually coincides with a large athletic department budget. I suspect that is appealing in the world of conference expansion. Maybe only to a small degree, but if you have a small budget and minimal number of sports, I don’t think you can be one of the “Big” brands of the future. I haven’t checked the data, but I suspect almost all Big 10 and SEC schools have baseball and softball.

Wisconsin, Syracuse, Colorado, and Iowa State are the P5 schools without baseball.

Wisconsin, Syracuse, Colorado, and Iowa State are the P5 schools without baseball.
Wow- I knew it was rare not to have baseball as a P5 school, but no idea that it was this rare. Embarrassing that "P5" teams like WSU, WVU, KSU, Cincinnatti and G5 schools like UNM, NMSU, and Wichita State can afford programs but we can't.

If CU were to get a hockey team, I’d be one of the first in line for season tickets. A baseball team wouldn’t even register for me. I’m certainly not representative of the entire fanbase, but Hockey, in general, is far more popular in Colorado than Baseball is.

That said, DU doesn’t sell out its home hockey games. Could be due to the small student body, but there’s regularly a large number of unused seats at DU games.

Wow- I knew it was rare not to have baseball as a P5 school, but no idea that it was this rare. Embarrassing that "P5" teams like WSU, WVU, KSU, Cincinnatti and G5 schools like UNM, NMSU, and Wichita State can afford programs but we can't.
I think Utah having a team cuts against any spring weather and altitude arguments.

Wichita State and Vanderbilt being elite programs illustrates that it's doable in a wide variety of institutions from an academic and AD investment standpoint.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it looks like another app we'll need to buy to get all our sports content.

Edit: looks like the co-op new app will come with any sub to ESPN+, Hulu or Max.

Having ESPN and Fox Sports under the same roof is going to be great for sports TV customers but I'd wait to see the final details on that.

Going to be interesting to see how the NBA fares in their media rights negotiations with ESPN going forward.

I'll believe the change is occurring once that happens at a public FBS school.
Yes. And many states that have high level football programs are Right To Work states in which no one can be forced to join a union.

Back