What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

More on Warner Bros having ESPN, Fox Sports, and TNT under the same streaming service.

It is poised to have sports networks including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, ACCN, ESPNews, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, and truTV. The new service will air games from the National Football League (NFL), Major League Baseball (MLB), the National Basketball Association (NBA), and the National Hockey League (NHL), along with NASCAR, PGA Tour Golf, Grand Slam Tennis, and more. Disney Plus, Hulu, and Max users will also get the option to bundle the new service.

Yes. And many states that have high level football programs are Right To Work states in which no one can be forced to join a union.

Forgot about that part and could simply be part of joining an union for college sports be considered a recruiting advantage? Or not?

If CU were to get a hockey team, I’d be one of the first in line for season tickets. A baseball team wouldn’t even register for me. I’m certainly not representative of the entire fanbase, but Hockey, in general, is far more popular in Colorado than Baseball is.

That said, DU doesn’t sell out its home hockey games. Could be due to the small student body, but there’s regularly a large number of unused seats at DU games.
and they have the Denver city metro area to pull from vs Boulder w/ 1/7th the population

Forgot about that part and could simply be part of joining an union for college sports be considered a recruiting advantage? Or not?
I think it might drive high level recruits away if the" benefit" of unionization was to guarantee a fixed identical NIL amount to every scholarship player. No one has ever explained the benefit of unionization very well. I'd like to see an argument for it because it's not making intuitive sense to me. Other than maybe "can't be cut, can't be run off".

Union thing as it relates to "Right to Work" states has long been settled with pro leagues.
Maybe it would be good for the college game if a union would bring about an enforceable team-wide “NIL Cap”. I’d see that as a benefit and might keep more college coaches in the game. Still need a governing mechanism and if the NCAA is going away where is that mechanism coming from?

Maybe it would be good for the college game if it would set an enforceable team-wide “NIL Cap”. I’d see that as a benefit and might keep more college coaches in the game. Still need a governing mechanism and if the NCAA is going away where is that mechanism coming from?
NIL cap for Collectives might make sense. But it doesn't work (and would be illegal, I think), if there was a cap on how much State Farm was allowed to pay Caitlin Clark in NIL licensing.

I would love baseball, hockey or both. I know at some juncture, there was an analysis of making the foam dome multi-use (hoops and hockey). I do not think that it worked. Beyond the money/Title IX hurdles, the other issue is where to put a baseball/softball stadium. This leads into the never ending and still ongoing East Campus fight. IMO, that property would be by far the best place for a great baseball/softball stadium for it to be anywhere near campus. They would need to build better/more access points; but this would be a special expansion for the overall University. Currently, our campus is pretty land-locked.

This may have been implied but softball and baseball need to have separate stadiums

This may have been implied but softball and baseball need to have separate stadiums

I think what was implied, was that other than South Campus expansion which has been an decades long battle with the City, they have no place for either stadium, if either one or two were to ever exist. It is called "Landlocked." Then there is whether the money exists in AD for such an expansion into any sport.

CU has the space. What they lack is the funding and to a lesser extent, the will. They could, for instance, relocate the family housing near the old practice fields and build a substantial athletic complex, complete with baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer and track facilities along with an Olympic sized pool, diving well, etc. This will never happen because those facilities alone would cost around a billion dollars, and then you have the issue of ongoing operating costs for those sports. But it’s not an issue of space. They have that. And it’s not an issue with the City of Boulder. Boulder can’t do anything to stop them (on that site, South campus has water needs that would need to be met, which is where the City comes in). It’s 100% an issue of funding and will. CU has neither.

We like to dream about new sports on this board, but I think we all are acutely aware that the possibility of adding new sports- especially baseball and hockey - is extremely remote.

CU has the space. What they lack is the funding and to a lesser extent, the will. They could, for instance, relocate the family housing near the old practice fields and build a substantial athletic complex, complete with baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer and track facilities along with an Olympic sized pool, diving well, etc. This will never happen because those facilities alone would cost around a billion dollars, and then you have the issue of ongoing operating costs for those sports. But it’s not an issue of space. They have that. And it’s not an issue with the City of Boulder. Boulder can’t do anything to stop them (on that site, South campus has water needs that would need to be met, which is where the City comes in). It’s 100% an issue of funding and will. CU has neither.

We like to dream about new sports on this board, but I think we all are acutely aware that the possibility of adding new sports- especially baseball and hockey - is extremely remote.

How do you get decent access to any of the future complex's off of Arapahoe? Then they lose the football practice fields (which pay for the AD) and all the Folsom parking too. The space and access is South Campus, if they can ever develop it. IMO, they should already have track, lacrosse and soccer facilities on East Campus already.

How do you get decent access to any of the future complex's off of Arapahoe? Then they lose the football practice fields (which pay for the AD) and all the Folsom parking too. The space and access is South Campus, if they can ever develop it. IMO, they should already have track, lacrosse and soccer facilities on East Campus already.
You missed the point entirely. The point is that they have the space. What they don’t have is the money and the will to do anything with it.

I agree that the space can be worked out if there is a will to make it happen. It might be further east, like our golf course, which is located on Erie. CU just purchased land in Superior and there is land that can house a baseball/softball complex available for purchase within reasonable distance of Boulder. Money and desire are the barriers, and the money would probably be found if the desire was there.

Reactions: GRM
I agree that the space can be worked out if there is a will to make it happen. It might be further east, like our golf course, which is located on Erie. CU just purchased land in Superior and there is land that can house a baseball/softball complex available for purchase within reasonable distance of Boulder. Money and desire are the barriers, and the money would probably be found if the desire was there.

I heard that as well. It looks like the CU South development/facilities will be built up the hill towards Superior. I think they are adding an US36 interchange within the decade. Not ideal, given the distance to main campus but will work with the bussing. Also, I think there are plans for some dorms, so these athletes can be there. Maybe they can put in a small training complex with weight-room, nutrition, etc... I think Erie would be for it.

No matter the $$$$ situation, I think most schools are in limbo given all the general uncertainly around football; and how Title XI will shake out.

Lived in that family housing when my father went to CU back in 1990-91. The parking lot for family housing was only for people who were living there. That complex was already a dump back then and I'm amazed that it's still there.

Just put a decent sized parking garage there along with new athletic fields/facilities and call it a day.

Florida State has asked a North Carolina court to dismiss the ACC’s lawsuit against the university — the latest legal step as the Seminoles explore a potential exit from their conference.
Florida State’s most interesting argument focuses on the ACC’s grant of rights — the document at the center of this potential half-a-billion-dollar dispute. The ACC contends that Florida State (and every other member) “knowingly and voluntarily” granted the “irrevocable” TV rights to their home games to the conference. The conference then sold them to ESPN and passed the funds back to FSU and its peers.

FSU’s latest filing argues that the school’s trustees never signed or approved the grant of rights; it was only signed by the university president. That’s important because, according to FSU, its board is the only entity with the legal authority to “contract and be contracted with.”

link

The "grasping at straws" reply is correct if the "university president didn't have legal authority to sign" is what they're basing their legal case on.

The conference had every reason to believe (and the contract most likely has a representation to this) that the president had that authority.

At most, the university is going to have a claim against the (I presume former) university president that could theoretically be covered by his e&o insurance (that the university paid for). But if "selling university assets without authorization" wasn't cited as a reason for firing the president, they're going to have a tough row to hoe.

"So the board didn't immediately fire the president when they learned he sold university assets without the authority to do so and refer the case to law enforcement for prosecution? Care to explain that?"

Rose Bowl no longer has conference ties as it's in the CFP.
i know....

Oh No GIF

In the proposal, the Pac-12, which will be made up of Washington State and Oregon State after this season, is asking the CFP to guarantee the same league revenue distribution amounts and voting privileges as other power conference programs starting in 2026, the first year of a potential new CFP contract.

“We’ve been an Autonomy Five school and have resourced ourselves at that level for 25-30 years,” Schulz said. “Just because we were left standing in musical chairs, we just don’t feel that we should be relegated by no fault of our own.”

It is a fault of your own when noone considers you attractive enough to take you home at the end of the night, Kirk.

It is a fault of your own when noone considers you attractive enough to take you home at the end of the night, Kirk.

So it's not the fault of the other conferences for agreeing to the provision that the vote must be unanimous in those matters?

Back