What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

What about Miami? The Big 12 should be falling over themselves to have two FL programs, especially one with Miami’s brand
Conferences are stupid, who the hell does Greg Sankey serve or work for? What has he done for the betterment of college sports?
In some cases it makes you stronger for negotiation and regionality, but that is going away
In most cases it makes you a minion to the bigger egos and power brokers and at the mercy of a system that wants to demote you
The NFL does not ****ing care about Conferences, they do not matter once they formed the NFL, the bigger league, so why are all the schools not in the current top 10 brands jerking off with conferences, get together and be creative

Conferences are stupid, who the hell does Greg Sankey serve or work for? What has he done for the betterment of college sports?
In some cases it makes you stronger for negotiation and regionality, but that is going away
In most cases it makes you a minion to the bigger egos and power brokers and at the mercy of a system that wants to demote you
The NFL does not ****ing care about Conferences, they do not matter once they formed the NFL, the bigger league, so why are all the schools not in the current top 10 brands jerking off with conferences, get together and be creative
The real question is why are these universities and conferences chasing every last $$ like they are for profit corporations? There’s no franchise owners, there’s no shareholders looking for financial ROI.

Sure, it helps increase coaching and AD salaries, but not to the point where each school needs $100m/year from TV. Facility upgrades are part of it for sure, but that was already happening prior to these mega deals. TV money can’t be put toward NIL, although I guess the school can tell boosters to donate to the collective rather than the AD going forward.

The only reason it makes sense is if schools get to start paying the athletes directly.

I took a couple month off from this thread looks like I have not missed much. The whole environment in college athletics is going to change dramatically before all this is sorted out. One of the big questions is: are college athletes employees? The initial ruling by the NRLB is that they are. I am sure there's going to be many legal tests to that ruling because the colleges and the NCAA do not want athletes classified as employees.

One thing overlooked in all these discussions is that college athletic departments are not flush with extra money to pay athletes. CU although is garnering a lot of attention and record revenues still ended up losing $10 million last year. Football pays for most of the college athletic budget with men's basketball kicking in a little bit. If athletes are to be paid that money must come from somewhere.

The NIL money was originally intended for individual athletes more so than the teams. The collectives were formed basically to allow slush fund money to be paid to athletes under the guise of NIL. Many of the top athletes are cutting individual deals with sponsors to get paid big money. I believe it will be almost impossible to capture NIL money and distributed those funds to the athletic department in general.

Other challenges will be if athletes are going to be paid are they still going to be able to get their scholarships. I still see college athletics overall being reduced.

Last edited:
What about Miami? The Big 12 should be falling over themselves to have two FL programs, especially one with Miami’s brand
ACC will be a conference based on where Notre Dame wants to recruit athletes or students while having certain levels of academic prestige & money.

Miami, GA Tech, Duke, Cal, Furd, SMU, BC, Cuse, Wake. I'd expect them to add Rice and/or Tulane to that.

ACC will be a conference based on where Notre Dame wants to recruit athletes or students while having certain levels of academic prestige & money.

Miami, GA Tech, Duke, Cal, Furd, SMU, BC, Cuse, Wake. I'd expect them to add Rice and/or Tulane to that.
Woof. That’s far worse than the Big 12. I can’t imagine Miami wants to stick around in that.

Woof. That’s far worse than the Big 12. I can’t imagine Miami wants to stick around in that.
Eh. Why not? If there’s a guaranteed CFP spot or two for the ACC, they’d have to think they had a good chance of getting that spot on a regular basis. Private school with big donors that can survive without massive TV money if need be.

Ultimately, they just need a landing spot. Not unlike us in that regard. Whatever happens with conference alignment over the next 4-5 years won’t be the end of the process.

Eh. Why not? If there’s a guaranteed CFP spot or two for the ACC, they’d have to think they had a good chance of getting that spot on a regular basis. Private school with big donors that can survive without massive TV money if need be.

Ultimately, they just need a landing spot. Not unlike us in that regard. Whatever happens with conference alignment over the next 4-5 years won’t be the end of the process.
Yeah, especially if ND actually joins. The U and ND would have one of the easiest paths to the playoff every year.

There is no chance ND is joining the ACC as a full time member
I agree with this. They’d be crazy to jump into any conference right now. ND being ND - keeping their powder dry and doing the calculus. Whatever happens, they won’t make any drastic moves and will be three steps ahead of everybody else.

Louisville, GT, NCSU, and VT would be my picks.

For some weird reason, I'm okay with conferences going to like 20 schools because that means 20 conference games for basketball with one round robin and I suspect OSU would be CU's "rival" in that regard. I'm curious to see how the ACC, B1G, and SEC does their basketball scheduling.

Louisville, GT, NCSU, and VT would be my picks.

For some weird reason, I'm okay with conferences going to like 20 schools because that means 20 conference games for basketball with one round robin and I suspect OSU would be CU's "rival" in that regard. I'm curious to see how the ACC, B1G, and SEC does their basketball scheduling.
I feel like Pitt would be preferential over GT just for the Pitt WVU rivalry.

I feel like Pitt would be preferential over GT just for the Pitt WVU rivalry.
Except that GA is on the cusp of being the #1 recruiting state. PA is good and Pitt would be a good add for a lot of reasons, but GT is probably a better option.

Except that GA is on the cusp of being the #1 recruiting state. PA is good and Pitt would be a good add for a lot of reasons, but GT is probably a better option.
Not to mention that it would keep an in-state rivalry with a top SEC program. The Backyard Brawl is great, but it doesn't really mean anything more just because it's a Big 12 game vs a Big 12 vs ACC game.

It's also why CU keeping Nebraska on the schedule every year should be a priority. It doesn't matter if the schools are in the same conference. The networks will fight over those games.

I took a couple month off from this thread looks like I have not missed much. The whole environment in college athletics is going to change dramatically before all this is sorted out. One of the big questions is: are college athletes employees? The initial ruling by the NRLB is that they are. I am sure there's going to be many legal tests to that ruling because the colleges and the NCAA do not want athletes classified as employees.

One thing overlooked in all these discussions is that college athletic departments are not flush with extra money to pay athletes. CU although is garnering a lot of attention and record revenues still ended up losing $10 million last year. Football pays for most of the college athletic budget with men's basketball kicking in a little bit. If athletes are to be paid that money must come from somewhere.

The NIL money was originally intended for individual athletes more so than the teams. The collectives were formed basically to allow slush fund money to be paid to athletes under the guise of NIL. Many of the top athletes are cutting individual deals with sponsors to get paid big money. I believe it will be almost impossible to capture NIL money and distributed those funds to the athletic department in general.

Other challenges will be if athletes are going to be paid are they still going to be able to get their scholarships. I still see college athletics overall being reduced.

There are a lot of moving pieces here and its really hard to know where it will all be when the dust settles. For the big name properties the divide between them and all the lessor programs is expanding. At the end is some kind of super conference created by TV.

I have to believe that a lot of G5 programs that were already financially starved fold up the tent and shut down football. Then again there could still be TV money for them to fill time slots when super league is not playing. The NFL probably doesnt like the idea that there will be far fewer D1 programs for the pipeline. Do they put their thumb on the scale?

I dont like any of it in terms of whats happened so far.

There are a lot of moving pieces here and its really hard to know where it will all be when the dust settles. For the big name properties the divide between them and all the lessor programs is expanding. At the end is some kind of super conference created by TV.

I have to believe that a lot of G5 programs that were already financially starved fold up the tent and shut down football. Then again there could still be TV money for them to fill time slots when super league is not playing. The NFL probably doesnt like the idea that there will be far fewer D1 programs for the pipeline. Do they put their thumb on the scale?

I dont like any of it in terms of whats happened so far.
A lot of Athletic Departments will start looking like Villanova. With this, football is sponsored and is important but it's not in an arms race. They are FCS and their 12,500 seat stadium also serves the needs of track & field, lacrosse and field hockey. Nova does an improvement (scoreboard, training facility, turf, locker rooms, etc) project or two per decade.

My ideas about Private Partnerships in operating College Football and providing an Employment Model is being talked about, and I really wish that Prime and SMAC and the BIG12 would innovate ahead of the rest to make things happen

So, basically the Pac-12 owned 7/20 of the largest CFB media markets (which were also the fastest growing population markets) & was going to make it 8 by adding SDSU... but the conference folded because it couldn't get a competitive media deal. Business malpractice.
mildly surprised to see VT as the top brand in the DC market -- would've pegged us at least 3rd behind Maryland and UVA.

and, the missing key pieces to getting understanding of the significance of this subject are:
(1) the significance of college football to each market. e.g. I don't believe Cal being the top brand in the #6 market is nearly as significant as Michigan being the top brand in the #14
(2) how close behind the top brand others are. e.g. I suspect UF and FSU are right on Miami's heels in the #10

also, surprised UM > ND in the Chicago market

So, basically the Pac-12 owned 7/20 of the largest CFB media markets (which were also the fastest growing population markets) & was going to make it 8 by adding SDSU... but the conference folded because it couldn't get a competitive media deal. Business malpractice.
Malpractice by the Presidents. We signed the biggest deal in CFB in 2011. The B1G one upped us the next year. Then the SEC went. Then they both expanded again and got more money. P12 refused to expand and Our deal turned out to be far too long. Then USC bolted out of frustration.

The other two most important conferences, thru all that, put a better product on the field while we focused on academics and had a less compelling product. Our timezones were all too late and we let TV relegate us to poor TV slots.

What did I miss?

mildly surprised to see VT as the top brand in the DC market -- would've pegged us at least 3rd behind Maryland and UVA.

and, the missing key pieces to getting understanding of the significance of this subject are:
(1) the significance of college football to each market. e.g. I don't believe Cal being the top brand in the #6 market is nearly as significant as Michigan being the top brand in the #14
(2) how close behind the top brand others are. e.g. I suspect UF and FSU are right on Miami's heels in the #10

also, surprised UM > ND in the Chicago market
No one here watches Cal football. It's not mentioned on sports radio at all ever either.

I'm glad Texas is going to the SEC for a variety of reasons. One big one is highlights I saw today from Arch Manning from their spring game. Damn man, sky is the limit for that guy. Bloodlines aside, he's got a better arm than every damn one of them.

And he has decent speed…a Manning with wheels is a scary thought.

Wouldn’t mind seeing another Chris Simms hype run that falls short of expectations in Austin.

Back