What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Unfortunately the future of CU football and athletics is no longer in the hands of CU. People scoff at the idea of dropping football but that may be on the table within the next 5 years. If the PAC 12 TV deal is in the range of $20 million per year than CU will have to consider options which may include dropping to a Mountain West type conference and the PAC might already be there. It is becoming clearer the narrative of the Power 5 conferences is going by the wayside. It is becoming the Power 2 with another tier falling below that. The Big 10 is talking about $100 M per school per year payout. There is no way that PAC schools can compete with that with a $20 M payout per school.

Schools like CU are going to have to reevaluate how much they spend. Pac 12 schools will not be able to pay the Salaries to coaches that Big 10 schools do. There is going to have to be shift from what the system is today. I believe adding more schools removes more money than it adds.

What I hope happens (and this is really a hope) is the Big 10 decides to tie up the major TV markets in the west and invite CU, UW, ASU, and Stanford. That gives them Denver, Seattle, Phoenix and Bay Area TV markets. Oregon has been good but lacks a major TV market. Other than that type of scenario, CU is toast. Big12 or the Pac makes no difference as the money differential between those conferences and the Power 2 is too great to compete with.

CU football is dying and fans are worried about road trip quality.
I agree that it will eventually be the P2, but that doesn't mean anything w/r/t dropping football. There are still G5, FCS, D2, and D3 programs that exist in the current environment and a Pac 10 at 20m/year payouts still dwarfs the current G5 conferences. Assuming CU doesn't get the invite to the P2, they will settle with the other 24ish programs from the P10, B12, ACC leftovers.

I agree that it will eventually be the P2, but that doesn't mean anything w/r/t dropping football. There are still G5, FCS, D2, and D3 programs that exist in the current environment and a Pac 10 at 20m/year payouts still dwarfs the current G5 conferences. Assuming CU doesn't get the invite to the P2, they will settle with the other 24ish programs from the P10, B12, ACC leftovers.
There are too many TV slots to have just 2 conferences (and some really bad teams in the Big 10 and SEC). There is a market for the Pac 12, Big 12, and ACC "leftovers." Colorado will land somewhere above average and above CSU.

Not all of Texas is godforsaken, there are nice places but it's big ****ing state. The only places I lived there were Andrews and ****ing Lubbock, nough said. :D
I'm a big fan of Big Bend Natl Park. Went several times. Stayed at a rental house in Study Butte and got really drunk in Boquillas Del Carmen over on the Mexican side. We bought some fluorite crystals from the little kids there.

Not if those conferences have 24 teams each. Sure there will be slots for other games but they won’t be worth much money.
Assuming that the TV contracts are based on viewers, the following metro areas have the following population: Denver 3 million, Phoenix 5 million, Seattle 4 million, State of Oregon 4 million, State of Colorado 5.7 million.

Going by this, ASU, Washington, and Colorado have more appeal than Oregon as far as TV ratings. I know that the Big 10 is rumored to be talking to Washington and Oregon, but that doesn't make sense from a TV population standpoint. Football suckitude doesn't factor into corporation profits. What matters is that CU is in a better population center than Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State and Utah. The Arizona schools and Washington have a better population center than CU so I think that they are the schools that will be looked at for Big 10 expansion before CU will.

Assuming that the TV contracts are based on viewers, the following metro areas have the following population: Denver 3 million, Phoenix 5 million, Seattle 4 million, State of Oregon 4 million, State of Colorado 5.7 million.

Going by this, ASU, Washington, and Colorado have more appeal than Oregon as far as TV ratings. I know that the Big 10 is rumored to be talking to Washington and Oregon, but that doesn't make sense from a TV population standpoint. Football suckitude doesn't factor into corporation profits. What matters is that CU is in a better population center than Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State and Utah. The Arizona schools and Washington have a better population center than CU so I think that they are the schools that will be looked at for Big 10 expansion before CU will.
I’ve seen different arguments on this. Yes, population matters but if people in Denver don’t watch or care about CU football then what does it matter?

I’ve seen different arguments on this. Yes, population matters but if people in Denver don’t watch or care about CU football then what does it matter?
The number of Big Ten alums in Colorado and Denver is surprisingly large. I don’t know where that puts CU in the pecking order, but it is a factor. Arizona also has a huge number of Big Ten alums.

The number of Big Ten alums in Colorado and Denver is surprisingly large. I don’t know where that puts CU in the pecking order, but it is a factor. Arizona also has a huge number of Big Ten alums.
But they’ll watch the big10 whether CU, UA or ASU are in the Big10 or not. Still no incentive to add CU to the conference

That doesnt matter. Ratings are about TV viwership. The BIG10 gets on TV in Florida all the time because of the number of transplants from the Midwest. Colorado is fullof transplants from somewhere and most of them watch college football.

CUs support would be vastly different if they were good and Probably better if they played in Denver

I will say this. The locals in the big12 are not all that appealing as far as road trips are concerned, however the game day environment will likely see a gigantic step up. Those schools and fanbases are all in on supporting their programs. Makes attending a game at those stadiums much more enjoyable.

That doesnt matter. Ratings are about TV viwership. The BIG10 gets on TV in Florida all the time because of the number of transplants from the Midwest. Colorado is fullof transplants from somewhere and most of them watch college football.

CUs support would be vastly different if they were good and Probably better if they played in Denver
Just need a few Denver companies to hire 50,000 Bama and Georgia grads and CU will have it's ticket into the SEC.

If they both win next week (UCLA beats Oregon) and (USC beats Utah) - a big if - there's a pretty good chance both are undefeated when they face each other with one week left in the season.

Edit: Next games not next week. UCLA and Oregon have a bye and play in Week 8.

I've gotten so cynical that I'm sort of rooting for the only USC/UCLA losses this year and next to be against each other as a big **** you to the Pac 12.

I admire what USC did in the offseason from hiring a new coaching staff to all the transfers they paid for in the portal. One of the great things about college football is its easy to live vicariously through another program if need be. Its also been fun watching Chip start getting his mojo back at UCLA.

I know it's going to be momentary, but I'm rooting for UCLA and USC to go undefeated and for the winner of that game to win the Pac 12 championship.

Regardless of where they're going, they're still in the conference right now, and a conference team in the CFP is still a conference team in the CFP.

I'm also hoping that a playoff appearance will make Charbonnet feel like he's done all he can in college and we'll never have to face that ****er again. If UCLA does indeed beat Oregon, he's going to be getting some serious Heisman run.

I admire what USC did in the offseason from hiring a new coaching staff to all the transfers they paid for in the portal. One of the great things about college football is its easy to live vicariously through another program if need be. Its also been fun watching Chip start getting his mojo back at UCLA.
For some weird reason, I find myself almost rooting for SC. I can’t believe I even typed that. But It’s fun to watch that much talent play well.

Back