What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I'd rather go Big12 with eye balls on ESPN and FOX than Apple TV.
Paramount+ has more eyes than Apple.
Oregon and Washington won't sign so this is a dead idea.
Go to Twitter and see who's supporting this. Nobody.
Why do you like the Big 12? I have tried to like the idea, I just can't get there. It feels like a dying conference desperate for some big names to help keep them in the power conference ranks. The Pac is also on the brink, but at least it has some marquee names attached to it still. But I may be totally wrong about being turned off by the Big 12. I'd like to stay in the Pac and work towards a Big 10 invite when the next round of P2 expansion happens.

As far as Apple, they keep their subscriber count pretty mysterious so it's tough to know how many eyeballs we'd actually get. A quick google says 25 million in March of 22. Which is just two years after they launched the service. ESPN has ~74 million cable subscribers. I bet those numbers get closer to each other every year. As far as Twitter, I am consistently debating Big 12 twitter hoping they will convince me that joining that conference is a good idea. I am just not there yet and like the Apple TV news. Maybe I am an idiot though.

It would be better to have the PAC sign a contract with The Hallmark Channel or The Weather Channel than Apple TV.
This is bad.
That is such a ridiculous statement. I'm not a baseball fan so I haven't watched, but I've seen nothing but praise for the quality of Apple's MLB game of the week. Every person out there who subscribes to Apple's "Apple One" bundled service gets Apple TV+ at no additional charge. (Apple One includes Apple Music, TV+, Fitness+, Arcade, News+, and iCloud+.) I would guess that's many, many tens of millions of people in the USA. It's available on every Apple device, Roku, Amazon Fire, game consoles and just about every TV sold last few years.

The MLB game was no additional charge. It remains to be seen what the pricing would be for the Pac-12.

TV+ has been praised as the streaming service with the highest average quality. They're aiming to be the new HBO rather than throwing endless screens of crap at you like Netflix and Prime. TV+ was the first streaming service to win the Oscar for Best Picture with CODA and they've won numerous Emmys already.

When NFL Sunday Ticket has gone streaming only, the future is here. You guys talking like Apple TV+ is some obscure service that no one has or has heard of are really stuck in the past. If CU football becomes Must See TV as we all expect it will, sports bars will figure it out. A cheap Roku stick and a subscription and they're all set. And I'll happily fork over a few extra bucks to watch at home.

One more thing. I have an 83" OLED. There is no question in my mind which streaming service has the best picture and sound quality. Apple TV+. Of the services I have or have had recently. Prime and Disney+ tie for 2nd, Hulu is 3rd and HBO Max is a distant 4th. If Apple gets the Pac-12, I would expect them to be the first to make 4K sports broadcasting of every game standard. That alone would guarantee tons of eyeballs. All of their original shows and movies are in 4K Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos sound.

Last edited:
The issue is that being better than the Pac 12 Network is not the bar they need to clear. And with the current deal, the marquee Pac games are still on Fox or ESPN/ABC (or ESPN2 or FS1). The rest of the content was P12N, so it was essentially the same exposure as every other conference for the most part.

In an agreement with Apple or Amazon, none of the marquee games will be on FOX or ABC/ESPN
Agree. They need to crush the Pac 12 Network in every metric. No question.

I am not sure that Apple TV wouldn't get much less viewers than the late game FOX or ESPN. Those networks aren't giving their marquee time slots to the Pac 12. Big Noon Kickoff will almost always be Big 10 and Saturday Night Football will almost always be and ESPN property. Apple can do whatever it wants whenever it wants and it will be interesting to see how they compete.

Dude, CBS is just as in as they’ve ever been, they just now with the B1G instead of SEC, and NBC also increased their CFB presence by going in with the B1G. The point remains that the linear networks are now full since Fox is no longer interested in the Pac 10, though.

The fact that Fox has been out on the Pac basically since SC and UCLA announced they were leaving, and GK and the Pac still decided there was no rush to get the deal done before the Big 12 was the biggest mistake
You are right that they hadn't fully exited. I missed that they picked up some B1G games.

However, 14-15 B1G games per season compared to 30-32 for Fox (not including 50 games on the BTN which Fox has a 50% stake in) is not the CBS of old. Theyre not aggressively driving the price bid ups like Disney and Fox. I believe the B1G commissioner said somewhere to always split your rights so that there would always be multiple bidders.

Last edited:
Again. Go on Twitter tonight and you will see just how well this Apple idea is doing. It's not.

I honestly don't see how Colorado gets an invite to the BIG or SEC in 5 years.
The BIG isn't taking 6 more from out West when there will be FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Virginia and Duke ripe for the picking in 2036.

Again. Go on Twitter tonight and you will see just how well this Apple idea is doing. It's not.

I honestly don't see how Colorado gets an invite to the BIG or SEC in 5 years.
The BIG isn't taking 6 more from out West when there will be FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Virginia and Duke ripe for the picking in 2036.
I’m in some level of agreement with you on this subject, but come on man. Stop using your personal Twitter timeline as your gauge.

Also, the next round of realignment is likely happening in 2030 (announced in 2027/2028), so unless the ACC votes to dissolve, those programs will be waiting another 8-9 years after that.

End of the day, the B1G and SEC will both expand to 20-24 each and they will absolutely have to go West beyond SC and UCLA.

Why do you like the Big 12? I have tried to like the idea, I just can't get there. It feels like a dying conference desperate for some big names to help keep them in the power conference ranks. The Pac is also on the brink, but at least it has some marquee names attached to it still. But I may be totally wrong about being turned off by the Big 12. I'd like to stay in the Pac and work towards a Big 10 invite when the next round of P2 expansion happens.

A move to the B12 now is like staying at The Hotel California. Once you check in you can never leave.

Your point about staying in the PAC-12 till the B10 invite comes in a few years is spot on. At least this path provides hope and not death by a thousand Stillwater’s.

I’m in some level of agreement with you on this subject, but come on man. Stop using your personal Twitter timeline as your gauge.

Also, the next round of realignment is likely happening in 2030 (announced in 2027/2028), so unless the ACC votes to dissolve, those programs will be waiting another 8-9 years after that.

End of the day, the B1G and SEC will both expand to 20-24 each and they will absolutely have to go West beyond SC and UCLA.
Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal are ahead of CU. ASU has the lucrative Phoenix market. Arizona is hard to pinpoint while Utah is ahead of CU. That could change if Prime stays at least 4-5 years. Colorado is not a shoe in.

A move to the B12 now is like staying at The Hotel California. Once you check in you can never leave.

Your point about staying in the PAC-12 till the B10 invite comes in a few years is spot on. At least this path provides hope and not death by a thousand Stillwater’s.
OU and Texass is checking out early.
Fifty million is steep but worth it.

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal are ahead of CU. ASU has the lucrative Phoenix market. Arizona is hard to pinpoint while Utah is ahead of CU. That could change if Prime stays at least 4-5 years. Colorado is not a shoe in.
Maybe to pretty much all of that. You’re spending far too much time reading anonymous Big 12 fan/blog accounts who claim to be “insiders” but have yet to be right

Iger seems to be potentially positioning ESPN to be spun off. I suppose there is a chance Apple could buy them eventually.

OU and Texass is checking out early.
Fifty million is steep but worth it.
For UT it's chump change and the bonus of playing A&M and Arkansas again is gravy.
For OU lining up in Norman against the likes of LSU, Auburn & Ole Miss is much more appealing than any B12 team other than UT.
UT & OU sell out all home games...ticket prices will go up but so will the fan excitement and national viewership a win win.

For UT it's chump change and the bonus of playing A&M and Arkansas again is gravy.
For OU lining up in Norman against the likes of LSU, Auburn & Ole Miss is much more appealing than any B12 team other than UT.
UT & OU sell out all home games...ticket prices will go up but so will the fan excitement and national viewership a win win.
If invited, Kansas would do the same.

Disagree. There will be another round of moves when the ACC's GoR blows up. Here's what I believe on realignment-

The Pac 12 is dead. I have no faith whatsoever in George Kliavkoff to secure a TV deal that would make staying in this conference the right thing to do. I'm assuming this on the Pac 12-OSU/WSU are going to the MWC. Stanford and Cal go independent in football and stash their other sports in the WCC. I know its a weird culture fit, but money's what's driving all this. They'll make it work. The Big 12 takes everyone else, but I wouldn't rule out the Big 10 coming in and grabbing OR/WA at a steep discount.
I think a move back to the Big 12 is essentially about the last half of this decade. CU's maintaining status quo financially and exposure wise here. It works for now, but if Prime builds the winner we all think he will.....I think CU's fine, and here's why-I see three 20 team power leagues. Both the Big 10 and SEC will want to ensure they're in every market in the country. CU will have a much improved football program (I feel like that's safe) with the force of nature that is Coach Prime in charge. We're an instant draw right now. There's no way the TCU game doesn't get a prime TV slot. If the Big 10 somehow passes, I think the SEC takes us. History with Texas and Oklahoma, and they're not really in this market like the Big 10 is with the number of nub fans in this ****ing city.

Serious question, where do you have these streaming problems? In the past 12 months, I’ve been to Vinalhaven Maine (an island in the Atlantic), Rolletown Bahamas which really lacks paved roads and doctors, and a hunting camp outside of Eulala Alabama and could stream with zero issues in each of these places.
About 1/4 of rural households lack access to broadband (estimated between 19-35 million households in different surveys). The fastest I can get at my house is 6mbps DSL (which actually provides 3.5-4 mbps speeds most of the time).

About 1/4 of rural households lack access to broadband (estimated between 19-35 million households in different surveys). The fastest I can get at my house is 6mbps DSL (which actually provides 3.5-4 mbps speeds most of the time).
I live outside of town with no cable network. Starlink will change your life.

Serious question, where do you have these streaming problems? In the past 12 months, I’ve been to Vinalhaven Maine (an island in the Atlantic), Rolletown Bahamas which really lacks paved roads and doctors, and a hunting camp outside of Eulala Alabama and could stream with zero issues in each of these places.
try evergreen colorado

Pura Vida, bitches
Bareback:
1677079981328.png
With Express VPN, I lose about 30 amd 5 Mbps. I have tried almost every streaming service, and the only one that gave me trouble - freezing and fuzzy picture - was Fubo.

New Marchand & Ourand Podcast was just released - lots of PAC12 future media right talk and it's bleak
Starts at 13.30 mark. Sounds like there was a good package on the table 6 months ago and wasn't taken :(

Guess what ? They don't think Apple is good for the PAC. Why ? It's what I've been preaching, Loss of eyeballs VS linear.

This can't help-

Last edited:
Rooster Teeth Smile GIF by Achievement Hunter

Some day, if no CU games are on TV I can always listen to them on the radio. It's a box that has no pictures, but sound comes out of it. And nowadays radio sound can come right through my cell phone or laptop computer thingy. Pretty neat. As for my 2nd team, I can watch 90% of Wyoming games on the Mountain West Channel or CBSSN.

Hey, wait a second. If PAC10 games aren't on TV what is the CU Athletic Dept going to do for money? How will the bills get paid? It's possible that GK is more incompetent than Larry was. Well, at least I have the Mountain West as a football backup.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion on Pac-12 radio this morning. In their opinion, it will come down to a choice between (i) more money (10MM or more per school) to be exclusively on Apple TV, or (ii) less money, but stay on traditional TV with a combination of ESPN and one other partner, with the understanding that marquee matchups will be relegated to the 4th game of the weekend with Pac 12 after dark.

Back