What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Read the link provided about AAU membership requirements. Nowhere does it refer to USNWR rankings. You prestige factor rating is absolutely arbitrary.
Where did I say anything about USNWR rankings? Check just about any ranking.

DU is a good school with a solid reputation regionally but it doesn't matter what USNWR says, it has nowhere close to the academic prestige that CU has.

Very simply put DU has no place close to the research resume that CU does and for better or worse the academic world values research.

CU has the Nobel prize winners on staff. It also has a strong record nationally in terms of Fullbright Scholarships, Carnegie Scholarships, etc.

Sadly by many measures CU-Boulder has seen some declines in terms of academic standard and reputation in the time that Phil D has been Chancellor but locally, nationally, and internationally CU has a stronger reputation than DU in most fields for which they have shared programs

More significantly college sports is about the money, plain and simple.

In looking at potential candidates for expansion conferences are going to ask the same question, how much financial value does this school add to our conference.

This can mean looking at factors such as what kind of ratings does a school draw on TV games, nationally or regionally? How well do they draw both at home and on the road? Does the school attract major advertisers? etc.

The B1G and SEC are in a position that they can dictate to potential expansion candidates the addition of varsity sports. The B12 isn't.

The B12 like the PAC12 is worried about surviving as a conference at the highest level, they need schools that add value in revenue sports.

The B1G has the money. They can tell prospective candidates that they will be receiving enough extra money to pay for an expanded athletic program, take it or leave it.
You are quite mistaken about the academic reputation of CU vs DU. No one in the real world even considers research as a defining criterion. CU is looked upon as a hippie party school by most of the general population. In the business world, a DU grad is looked upon much more highly than a CU grad.

You are quite mistaken about the academic reputation of CU vs DU. No one in the real world even considers research as a defining criterion. CU is looked upon as a hippie party school by most of the general population. In the business world, a DU grad is looked upon much more highly than a CU grad.
Maybe in your circles.

And, that's the problem with anecdotal evidence like yours.

My experience is quite different. DU = "huh, never heard of it, but ok." CU = "good state school." Generally viewed below say Stanford or Berkeley, above Oklahoma, Oregon, or Alabama, and generally equivalent to Michigan, Texas, etc.

Maybe in your circles.

And, that's the problem with anecdotal evidence like yours.

My experience is quite different. DU = "huh, never heard of it, but ok." CU = "good state school." Generally viewed below say Stanford or Berkeley, above Oklahoma, Oregon, or Alabama, and generally equivalent to Michigan, Texas, etc.
Based on 40 years of high-level business experience across the country, CU is viewed above OK, OR and Bama as you point out. But CU is viewed below Stanford, Cal, Michigan, and Texas.

UConn to the B12 seems to make sense. Look at the potent groupings.

puke GIF

I've decided to start a rumor based on two things that are out there already:

1) Notre Dame blew off ACC meetings at a time when the B1G has put expansion on hold unless it is Notre Dame.

2) Colorado is reported as the most likely Pac-12 member to break away and has been in discussions for months with at least the Big 12.

Therefore...

What's really going on is that the B1G is going to go to 20 through ND, CU, UW and UO.

Meanwhile, the B12 will go to 16 through UA, ASU, Utah and UConn.

The cheapest (no new facilities) that I think would draw some interest and CU would have a chance to be good:

Men's (scholarship #)
Lacrosse (12.6)
Soccer (9.9)
TOTAL (22.5)

Women's (scholarship #)
Rugby (12)
Triathlon (6.5)
Beach Volleyball (6)
TOTAL (24.5)

That would also do a bunch to get our Title IX scholarship balance in better shape. It's damn difficult to absorb 85 for football when there's no women's equivalent.

One note on rugby is that the HQ for USA Rugby is Glendale, CO. It's kind of a natural.

Another women's sport to consider is rowing. 20 scholarships. I remember a story about KSU's program from years ago. To keep costs down when there aren't exactly local HS rowing programs to recruit, they had a program where they offered a scholarship to any in-state HS athlete who made the all-state team and would teach them how to row once they got to campus. I thought that was a great idea.

Here's the link to scholarship limits by sport:
You're missing a super cheap and easy add on the Men's side with indoor volleyball (4.5 scholarships) and possibly men's beach as well.
With the way HS Boys volleyball is growing across the country and CO (recently sanctioned as a varsity sport by CHSAA) its a slam dunk of an add. And with BYU having MVB, we'd be an easy add to the MPSF to have a built in travel partner (maybe rival.)

Went to DU for undergrad and CU for grad school. I’m realistic about where DU falls in the academic world, and it’s not at the level of CU despite what the USNWR might suggest. But at the same time I think many CU alumni still think it’s 1990 when CU was truly academic peers with Michigan, Texas, Cal etc. The Boulder campus has unfortunately comparatively stagnated and is no longer on the same level as those schools. It seems the CU system decided to massively invest in Anschutz and CO Springs at the relative detriment of Boulder. Oregon and Bama are peers. They have upped the ante tremendously. Hell even living near Tempe I see the changes ASU continues to make. It also doesn’t help that the City of Boulder refuses to allow any growth which has greatly diminished its political importance as the rest of the front range has grown tremendously. The additional neglect of the football program on top of everything else has really hurt the undergrad campus. I wish CU still had the prowess of Michigan, etc. Hopefully they turn it back around.

The cheapest (no new facilities) that I think would draw some interest and CU would have a chance to be good:

Men's (scholarship #)
Lacrosse (12.6)
Soccer (9.9)
TOTAL (22.5)

Women's (scholarship #)
Rugby (12)
Triathlon (6.5)
Beach Volleyball (6)
TOTAL (24.5)

That would also do a bunch to get our Title IX scholarship balance in better shape. It's damn difficult to absorb 85 for football when there's no women's equivalent.

One note on rugby is that the HQ for USA Rugby is Glendale, CO. It's kind of a natural.

Another women's sport to consider is rowing. 20 scholarships. I remember a story about KSU's program from years ago. To keep costs down when there aren't exactly local HS rowing programs to recruit, they had a program where they offered a scholarship to any in-state HS athlete who made the all-state team and would teach them how to row once they got to campus. I thought that was a great idea.

Here's the link to scholarship limits by sport:

My daughter's friend got a scholarship for rowing. She had never rowed before, but was a former gymnast.

We went to one of the competitions and ksu was there. Holy smokes, 3 of the mildcat gals could have played d-line. It's a wonder their boat didn't sink.

Bring back wrestling. Big sport in the Big 12 and the Big 10. Would imagine that the cost would be low and can run meets in the events center. I assume Colorado is still a big wrestling state.

I've decided to start a rumor based on two things that are out there already:

1) Notre Dame blew off ACC meetings at a time when the B1G has put expansion on hold unless it is Notre Dame.

2) Colorado is reported as the most likely Pac-12 member to break away and has been in discussions for months with at least the Big 12.

Therefore...

What's really going on is that the B1G is going to go to 20 through ND, CU, UW and UO.

Meanwhile, the B12 will go to 16 through UA, ASU, Utah and UConn.
That's accurate according to my sources....my source is Buffnik.

If they really, really want a B1G invite, get a men’s and women’s hockey program. The B1G fancies itself a hockey conference. It’s not, but they think they are. They’d probably like to have some cannon fodder.

If they really, really want a B1G invite, get a men’s and women’s hockey program. The B1G fancies itself a hockey conference. It’s not, but they think they are. They’d probably like to have some cannon fodder.
I'm not sure I share your perception that the B1G considers themselves a hockey conf. < 1/3 of their full time members have hockey teams.

CU might be the only school that’s on major networks the first three weeks of the season w/ no streaming (Fox, Fox, ESPN). Haven’t checked all schools but wouldn’t be surprised either.

Is DiStefano still expected to retire this year? I'm not sure I want a Phil that is even more disinterested, checked out; and unaccountable making this decision.

Back