What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

they call it the pac and try to hold on to the playoff spot.

they then dare the sec and big to question their right to an auto bid.

sec and big look around and say, naw, let them have it.
True. The SEC Champ will get the 1 seed and the auto bid from the decimated Pac will be an easy first out. Win-win.

the sec is at 16 with ut and ou.

the big 12 would be at 16 with the 4 corners.

the big will be at 16 with usc and ucla.

the pac would have have 6 at that point and the mwc has 11. merge and still call it the pac at 17 teams.

the acc has 15... maybe they grab one moe?

this feels somewhat rational in a ridiculous situation.

They would absolutely starve and most schools would fold up shop. Most FBS and FCS programs are already on life support financially. Taking away $10-20mm in annual revenue would be the death blow for 75-80% of the 100.

Continue in a scaled down way? The super league would need some minor leagues for talent development purposes.

my occasional reminder that having the same cardinality has NEVER ONCE IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE ATHLETICS been a driving force in conference realignment. I see no reason to believe that has changed.

Continue in a scaled down way? The super league would need some minor leagues for talent development purposes.
You’re not going to have University presidents agree to make their programs an explicit feeder for the super league. They’d rather just not do business, especially since they can barely manage the bigger budgets they have now.

UT moved first. B1G/USC was reactionary.

Both schools wanted conferences they could dominate but neither one ever made a playoff appearance.
That move at least made something resembling geographic sense. They had a Texas school already in A&M, and they've also got a massive brand one state to their east in LSU.

USC/UCLA to the Big 10 took this to a whole different level. I'm not going to do anything that makes me look like I'm defending that or the Big 10.

Last edited:
the sec is at 16 with ut and ou.

the big 12 would be at 16 with the 4 corners.

the big will be at 16 with usc and ucla.

the pac would have have 6 at that point and the mwc has 11. merge and still call it the pac at 17 teams.

the acc has 15... maybe they grab one moe?

this feels somewhat rational in a ridiculous situation.
I have a hard time imagining Bill Walton calling a Boise-Oregon State Pac 17 basketball game....

You’re not going to have University presidents agree to make their programs an explicit feeder for the super league. They’d rather just not do business, especially since they can barely manage the bigger budgets they have now.

This.

If you polled university administrators, I'm sure getting rid of CFB would win in a landslide. It's a f*cking nightmare for an academic institution. CFB only lingers because it drives donations and engagement with the public. Most universities would be happy for some cataclysm to end the need to field a football team to take the blame from themselves. I guarantee Stanford and Cal would end their football programs (or go FCS) if they thought alumni would let them get away with it. The same goes for less prestigious schools struggling to pay for football programs.

Actually, I think you can make this stuff up! :ROFLMAO:

I'm trying to come up with Big 12 schools the SEC would want.

Colorado - Huge potential upside with Coach Prime, the AD changes and the #16 TV market. Seems extremely unlikely until we prove it for a few years.

Kansas - Hoops blue blood and a natural rivalry with Mizzou. A football nothing, though. And they split the KC market, so they don't bring many eyeballs. Unlikely.

Okie State - Solid FB and BB, but small TV market and second fiddle to OU. Can't see it.

Baylor and Houston - Decent football brands and excellent basketball brands, but the the SEC already has the Texas markets locked up. Don't see it. (Yes, I vomited after typing that Baylor is a decent brand. 🤮)

TCU - Coming off a great season, but there is no reason to believe they'll continue to be a top 10 team. And the SEC already has the DFW eyeballs. Nope.

West Virginia - Kind of a cultural fit I guess, but no major TV market and not a power. Nope.

UCF, BYU, Cincy, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech - 0% chance.

This.

If you polled university administrators, I'm sure getting rid of CFB would win in a landslide. It's a f*cking nightmare for an academic institution. CFB only lingers because it drives donations and engagement with the public. Most universities would be happy for some cataclysm to end the need to field a football team to take the blame from themselves. I guarantee Stanford and Cal would end their football programs (or go FCS) if they thought alumni would let them get away with it. The same goes for less prestigious schools struggling to pay for football programs.

Before the internet it was THE most effective way to plant the seed in the minds of potential incoming freshman. I know that when I stood in the Orange Bowl in ‘89 I thought to myself that that mascot and those uniforms looked way super cool.

Times have changed. But on the rest of it youre right

Actually, I think you can make this stuff up! :ROFLMAO:

I'm trying to come up with Big 12 schools the SEC would want.

Colorado - Huge potential upside with Coach Prime, the AD changes and the #16 TV market. Seems extremely unlikely until we prove it for a few years.

Kansas - Hoops blue blood and a natural rivalry with Mizzou. A football nothing, though. And they split the KC market, so they don't bring many eyeballs. Unlikely.

Okie State - Solid FB and BB, but small TV market and second fiddle to OU. Can't see it.

Baylor and Houston - Decent football brands and excellent basketball brands, but the the SEC already has the Texas markets locked up. Don't see it. (Yes, I vomited after typing that Baylor is a decent brand. 🤮)

TCU - Coming off a great season, but there is no reason to believe they'll continue to be a top 10 team. And the SEC already has the DFW eyeballs. Nope.

West Virginia - Kind of a cultural fit I guess, but no major TV market and not a power. Nope.

UCF, BYU, Cincy, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech - 0% chance.
I see the DC market as the biggest metro area in the Southeast that the SEC doesn't already own. WVU would give the SEC more of a presence in the WMA than any of those other schools.

This is going to be so stupid if it ends up OU/UW, CAL, Stan to the BIG playing in a Pac division, and KU / CU / ASU in some sort of of expanded SEC in a quasi B12 division.

I see the DC market as the biggest metro area in the Southeast that the SEC doesn't already own. WVU would give the SEC more of a presence in the WMA than any of those other schools.

Agreed. What about UVa? VT? I assume DC has a lot of Maryland alums.

This is going to be so stupid if it ends up OU/UW, CAL, Stan, UN to the BIG playing in a Pac division, and KU / CU / ASU in some sort of of expanded SEC in some sort of quasi B12 division.
That makes more sense than most things.

star wars hate GIF

😂😂😂

"My CBSSN broadcast partner for today B.M. Slodnick and I thank you for tuning in as the Cal Bears have prevailed 31-28 with an exciting 4th quarter comeback in Logan against a pesky Utah State squad in critical PAC-MTN conference action here in early November. I'm sure that the nearly 19,000 Aggie fans here, while disappointed, have a lot to feel proud about today. Stay tuned for our late afternoon game as Brenda Grunk and Herb St. Eusebius roll into chilly Laramie, Wyoming to see if Stanford can quash the Cowboys' 4 game winning streak in what local Wyoming radio pundits have already dubbed the Blizzard Bowl."

(roll commercials for a national oil change outfit and a toenail fungus remover.)

Back