What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Must admit, I have ignored this thread. But just tuned in to the Houston versus West Virginia game. Empty seats everywhere. And who the **** cares about these teams? Puke. I have no interest in every team in the B12. What have we done here? I guess we had no choice. 💩
It's not like there were giant, filled stadiums across the Pac either. But at least I cared about the teams, and found the matchups compelling. CU did what it had to, but **** the PAC leadership for alienating and killing a cool conference.

Totally off topic. Months ago in this thread, during a time when we were all trying to derail the thread, I asked for recommendations for the best steak. Several of you recommended Blackbelly. Just got back with my family(we didn't make it the last time we were out here)and I must say, we all enjoyed it immensely and had a fun nite. Great food and good times. Thank you!

Within the Big Ten office last summer, then-commissioner Kevin Warren led an expansion exploration that spanned more than a dozen schools, many of whom reached out to the league about an acquisition after the Los Angeles schools joined. Conference office administrators created a list of desired programs thought to be attainable, according to multiple sources who have seen the list.

They included Notre Dame, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Pitt, Kansas, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Virginia and, of course, Oregon and Washington. In fact, outside counsel for UO and UW met with Big Ten administrators twice last year — once in Chicago and another in New York.

I think this speaks to what ACC schools are desirable at least interesting to the B1G. other than that, the article is probably only interesting to those who geek on realignment news and history.

link

Coach Prime: "Who plays games at 8pm? What are we going to do all day? Who the heck is going to watch this on the east coast? Thank God we are leaving this conference."
ESPN still has the 8pm slots on Saturday and some weeknights, and they are losing the rights to USC, UCLA, UW, and Oregon (and likely WSU and OSU). Gonna be mostly Big 12 mountain teams filling those.

ESPN still has the 8pm slots on Saturday and some weeknights, and they are losing the rights to USC, UCLA, UW, and Oregon (and likely WSU and OSU). Gonna be mostly Big 12 mountain teams filling those.
I think Prime is wrong on these Friday night 8pm games. We are the only thing on tonight. East Coast folks are watching

suck doesn't begin to describe it

I'd have to come to terms with some hard realities and make some real compromises as a fan. I mean, I've rationalized that "I don't have three college teams I root for... I have one ACC team, one Pac 12 team and one B1G team". I don't think it's possible -- for me -- to have two teams in the same conference.
CU comes first, but I've rooted for Air Force for a while. Pull for Oklahoma because a number of people I grew up with in DFW went there and they're not as weird as most TX schools IMO.

If CU plays Oklahoma in football, I'm rooting for CU. I was at the game at AFA last year-rooted for CU. I think you prioritize one over the others.....but I'll believe FSU or whoever can get out of the ACC when I see them do it.

This might be a better way to think about it-weve averaged.....3-4 8pm games a year?

We might go down to 1-2 because Prime is easily the biggest fish in the Big 12 pond.

Woof...rough one for you guys last night. You guys going to make a bowl game?

This is going to make me incredibly popular, bit I'm not convinced Sanders is that good of a coach. He's always been able to vastly put recruit his competition and cruise to victory. That will continue in the Big XII, but not by as wide of a margin and its going to take some player development and coaching to get over the hump. He may have it in him, but I haven't seen it yet.

On another note, I'm so sick of the Gonzaga to the Big XII talk. They've made one NCAA tournament outside of Mark Few's tenure, and there's huge downside to adding them. If you want basketball adds, grab UConn and one of those Catholic schools in the northeast. Best move is to wait for the ACC to implode. Cal, Stanford, and SMU (lol) didn't save them.

On the plus side, the Gonzaga add seem to be Yormark's dream, and he doesn't seem to have all the ADs and presidents on board. I think it would be shut down. We've all seen the effect incompetent leadership can have on a conference, and I think the Big XII is in good shape there.

We're you guys surprised it was Utah that pushed the $50 million/school narrative? I was sure it was Crowe at ASU. That guy is a ****ing boob. Neither of those schools should get a vote in the Big XII until they change presidents. Really wish we could drop them and give OSU and WSU a lifeline, but thems the breaks.

Last edited:
Must admit, I have ignored this thread. But just tuned in to the Houston versus West Virginia game. Empty seats everywhere. And who the **** cares about these teams? Puke. I have no interest in every team in the B12. What have we done here? I guess we had no choice. 💩
Its a shame the great year were having now didnt happen last year. Maybe we would have got the B1G invite. Or the conference would have gotten a better Tv deal. #mismanaged.

Im with you on the unexciting opponents that are coming. If we can hold on to Prime we probably dominate. Its after Prime that Im worried about.

This is going to make me incredibly popular, bit I'm not convinced Sanders is that good of a coach. He's always been able to vastly put recruit his competition and cruise to victory. That will continue in the Big XII, but not by as wide of a margin and its going to take some player development and coaching to get over the hump. He may have it in him, but I haven't seen it yet.

On another note, I'm so sick of the Gonzaga to the Big XII talk. They've made one NCAA tournament outside of Mark Few's tenure, and there's huge downside to adding them. If you want basketball adds, grab UConn and one of those Catholic schools in the northeast. Best move is to wait for the ACC to implode. Cal, Stanford, and SMU (lol) didn't save them.

On the plus side, the Gonzaga add seem to be Yormark's dream, and he doesn't seem to have all the ADs and presidents on board. I think it would be shut down. We've all seen the effect incompetent leadership can have on a conference, and I think the Big XII is in good shape there.

We're you guys surprised it was Utah that pushed the $50 million/school narrative? I was sure it was Crowe at ASU. That guy is a ****ing boob. Neither of those schools should get a vote in the Big XII until they change presidents. Really wish we could drop them and give OSU and WSU a lifeline, but thems the breaks.
Gonzaga is one transcendent coach away from irrelevance. They would be a terrible add to the conference. Several of the Big East programs haven’t been able to sustain success when they lost a great coach, and all of those schools are in the middle of the best basketball recruiting footprint in the world. Zags are in a talent desert.

Thats one of two unknowns heading into our new conference. The other being ESPN+ streaming.

Four of CU's last five games this season are against currently ranked teams and the only unranked team is Arizona. It ain't looking good for the Buffs when it comes to a bowl game.

Coach Prime is going to win or lose based on the talent he brings in and they said that great talent can overcome subpar coaching...we'll see about that. The skill position talent is there but the lines need an upgrade bad and it doesn't matter what conference you are in; if both lines are crap, then good luck getting to a bowl game. It's better to be in the Big 12 than the MWC perception wise but despite the four newcomers struggling in the Big 12 at this point, those four newcomers are not strangers to winning football.

If Utah did that, they shouldn't have much of a say when it comes to conference matters. I hope Yormark is smart enough to not only listen to what Utah says but make sure his opposite ear is clear of debris because that is where that advice should be going: out of the head and into the trash can.

Based on the behind the scenes videos, it looks like Coach Prime is putting in the effort to coach those kids but maybe those kids are in the transfer portal for a reason. The coaching does not appear to be there on the defensive side and OL so there might have to be some coaching changes this offseason.

Four of CU's last five games this season are against currently ranked teams and the only unranked team is Arizona. It ain't looking good for the Buffs when it comes to a bowl game.

Coach Prime is going to win or lose based on the talent he brings in and they said that great talent can overcome subpar coaching...we'll see about that. The skill position talent is there but the lines need an upgrade bad and it doesn't matter what conference you are in; if both lines are crap, then good luck getting to a bowl game. It's better to be in the Big 12 than the MWC perception wise but despite the four newcomers struggling in the Big 12 at this point, those four newcomers are not strangers to winning football.

If Utah did that, they shouldn't have much of a say when it comes to conference matters. I hope Yormark is smart enough to not only listen to what Utah says but make sure his opposite ear is clear of debris because that is where that advice should be going: out of the head and into the trash can.

Based on the behind the scenes videos, it looks like Coach Prime is putting in the effort to coach those kids but maybe those kids are in the transfer portal for a reason. The coaching does not appear to be there on the defensive side and OL so there might have to be some coaching changes this offseason.
The defensive coaching needs to step up, or turn in their whistles. It was apparent in the spring game that the defense was sitting in a deficiency, and was apparent again against TCU. The secondary seems to be the saving grace, but this was exposed against CSU, OU, ASU, and Stanford. Not having Hunter for 3.5 games, and not being back up to 100% on Friday hurt. If a player like Cormani isn’t ready to go - that’s on the coaches. Prime understands that players need to be accountable, why isn’t the position coach or other players hunting down McClain if he isn’t in meetings? Wasn’t the players taking more leadership on was what made the 2016 so special?

We keep hearing that McCaskill is going to be featured more and the running game is going be used more. 4 games into conference play with an eyesore of a 1-3 record…there is no time like the present to do this.

Do they plan on playing guys like Smoke, McClain, and McCaskill? What happened to Wilkerson?

The wish list for next season is definitely lines (and depth/rotation pieces) for both sides that are smart, athletic, and play mean, LB’s that can kill anything that sniffs at the second level and clean up any trash around the edge/flats…and don’t miss in the open field…even if they’re an old school type like Landman.

Coaches that aren’t afraid of deviation and adjustments if the scheme/script isn’t working. Encouragement, accountability, and visual improvements in player development and team/position cohesiveness week in/out.

After yet another Pac-12 ref ass-****ing on Friday night, this conference can die a fiery death. We have been reamed in football and basketball for the length of our time in the conference. The deference to the traditional Pac teams at our expense has been one constant in basketball and football for the entire time we've been a member.

PAC-12 FOUNDERS vs. PCC SPLIT:
How money drove the 1950s PCC Collapse
(and gave birth to the new Pac-12)

As the new Pac-to-be's founders blew up the PCC in the 1950s, money and markets were behind the strains that broke up the conference over the decade

It was all about disparities in gate revenue as the PCC burned down in the 1950s, and is now all disparities about TV revenue as the same schools burned down the Pac in the 2020s.

The more things change, the more they stay the same!

If this interests you, I wrote a historical timeline eBook about the wild craziness of the PCC and the Pac-12, and how similar they are in so many ways. You can download a copy here:

Clemson has hired noted sports media consultant Chris Bevilacqua to further explore its conference alignment options, CBS Sports has learned. While the move doesn't indicate an imminent move out of the ACC for Clemson, the hiring of Bevilacqua is seen as a significant development.

The 60-year-old innovator has been at the cutting edge of valuing conferences and schools both with networks for media rights conversations and within leagues during ongoing realignment proceedings.

Bevilacqua was brought on board by Clemson approximately six months ago, which appears to align with Florida State's public complaints about the ACC and league revenue distribution.

cbs link

“If OSU and WSU gain control of the Board, I am concerned that they would claim control over the entirety of UW’s media rights interests,” Washington president Ana Mari Cauce said in a sworn statement, adding: “I am also concerned that, in general, a Board controlled by OSU and WSU would decide not to distribute net revenues earned by UW and the other nine departing institutions for competing during the 2023-24 year.”

link

I'm guessing this is why UA was usually associated with going with CU to the Big 12 before ASU & Utah made up their minds.
Would it not be better to have the Big12 take OSU and WSU so that all departing PAC schools can at least get there shares of rights money and any other quarters in the couches before it is over? I do not think that OSU and WSU really want to fight in courts to keep control, and then go through the daunting task of rebuilding a conference with lesser schools, less TV money, if any, and now the CFP has already started to work against them.
We all need money, convince Yormack to just buy/take the PAC

Would it not be better to have the Big12 take OSU and WSU so that all departing PAC schools can at least get there shares of rights money and any other quarters in the couches before it is over? I do not think that OSU and WSU really want to fight in courts to keep control, and then go through the daunting task of rebuilding a conference with lesser schools, less TV money, if any, and now the CFP has already started to work against them.
We all need money, convince Yormack to just buy/take the PAC

Not going to happen. The PAC schools that have left have spent years trying to get away from OSU & WSU and it finally happened.

Not going to happen. The PAC schools that have left have spent years trying to get away from OSU & WSU and it finally happened.
Thanks Thank You GIF by Ipsos i-Say

And OSU and WSU are going to fight to screw us all on the way out the door if possible.
The 10 schools could have done a little coordination and just closed down the conference and made sure that all the money was distributed evenly, and it helped to remove future competition for the playoffs.

The move to the BIG12 should work out, but if there is any chance that our PAC distribution for 23-24 is disrupted or minimized, then RG will be in a pickle.

And OSU and WSU are going to fight to screw us all on the way out the door if possible.
The 10 schools could have done a little coordination and just closed down the conference and made sure that all the money was distributed evenly, and it helped to remove future competition for the playoffs.

The move to the BIG12 should work out, but if there is any chance that our PAC distribution for 23-24 is disrupted or minimized, then RG will be in a pickle.
Yeah, but when have we ever had issues with RG not running the numbers properly and making sure that legally everything was set?

Back