What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

That doesn’t seem like a problem for a school on the quarter system. Classes start Sept 23, so there are no assignments hanging over their heads on the first trip, and no missed classes required to get the obligatory weeknight game out of the way.

The disadvantage of the quarter system is early season home games, especially playing USC regulsrly in early September before the students were on campus.

All that said, Olympic sports teams will have brutal travel for basically no good reason.

That's my first thought.

OTOH, I'm guessing the Stanford football team flies on a charter jet.

Staying on the EC saves about 12 hours of flight time, but costs you seven nights sleeping away from home. 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps Stanford can afford to have beds with sleep numbers in their east coast hub?

And looking back at our college days (mine was in the early 2000s), it would have been nice to have smartphones and tablets to do homework assignments on.

Perhaps Stanford can afford to have beds with sleep numbers in their east coast hub?

And looking back at our college days (mine was in the early 2000s), it would have been nice to have smartphones and tablets to do homework assignments on.
Yeah, but there's something about sleeping in your own bed, showering in our own shower, being around your SO, etc... that's more relaxing and rejuvenating than any hotel. At least for a lot of people.

I don't think the decision is a no-brainer. I'm curious what they do.

The model to look at might be basketball teams that have long travel to Elite 8 and Final Four cities which are relatively close together.

I’m pretty sure Stanford football is run like a preseason camp until classes start. They won’t be in their dorms until well after their first game.

If true, also goes against the Internet narrative that conferences value private schools for disclosure and reporting reasons.
That theory always said you need one. There was no additional advantage conferred by adding a second.

help me understand, what information does the B1G not disclose and report that the MWC is required to?

It could be any sensitive information related to the conference and private schools do not fall under the same general FOIA laws that public universities are required to do so.

help me understand, what information does the B1G not disclose and report that the MWC is required to?
The theory is that when government institutions meet, their deliberations are presumed to be public information and so would be subject to state level foia disclosure laws. Some state's disclosure laws have very few exceptions and require disclosing just about everything (see FL).

But, when they meet with a private party the deliberations are presumed to be private and so disclosure laws would not be nearly as applicable - which means you only need one private school at the table, a second one doesn't add anything else.

There's another version of the theory that any association of state governments become presumed government entities in and of themselves, which has all other kinds of legal implications (and may even require state legislature approval in some states). Again, the addition of a single private school "fixes" it, and a second one does not "fix it more."

There may or may not be any validity to these ideas, and if there is any validity, it may only involve a few select states with their own quirky laws.

One could easily believe that states with deep histories of extensive government agency corruption would have far greater reaching disclosure laws than ones without that history. So it could be NBD for the state schools in the MWC, but a giant PITA for the SEC or B1G.

Or it's all a bunch of BS conspiracy theorizing.

Last edited:
On a different note, my dad grew up in Iowa and he's watches any sport that he can. Now that he's retired, the dude just watches sports all day. I find him watching the Big Ten Network a lot. The Big Ten Network shows a lot of non-revenue sports. Wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming, track, and on and on.

Wasn't Limousine Larry's argument that the Pac-12 network had to be independent so that the Olympic sports would be televised? When I see those sports televised on the Big Ten Network, I hate him even more.

Last edited:
Back