What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think it’d have to be part of a major restructure where a new league entity is created and a handful of programs simply aren’t invited. There’s no real precedent for a University being kicked out of a league and I imagine there would be some serious legal issues.

I tend to agree and have long thought that a B1G/SEC merger super conference outside the NCAA's jurisdiction is the most likely endgame.

The conference was dead when they had to settle for CU and Utah instead of getting Texas and Oklahoma.

I don't think it was a case of either or and they genuinely wanted all four, but I agree with your core point that it only was a matter of time after OU and Texas decided to stay as that essentially put the conference check mate regarding any future expansion.

Doesn't matter. CFB might be stone cold dead in 3-5 years.

No chance.

a) it generates way too much money on its own for it to die
b) the NFL has an increased interest in its existence as it's de facto an elite level minor league that produces NFL ready, elite level talent at no cost

It's safe to assume that it's gonna be different than what we've been used to, maybe way different, but at the end of a day the existence of a NFL minor league with its own, sometimes very large, fanbases is in way too many people's interest for it to die.

No chance.

a) it generates way too much money on its own for it to die
b) the NFL has an increased interest in its existence as it's de facto an elite level minor league that produces NFL ready, elite level talent at no cost

It's safe to assume that it's gonna be different than what we've been used to, maybe way different, but at the end of a day the existence of a NFL minor league with its own, sometimes very large, fanbases is in way too many people's interest for it to die.
The people it helps most
Schools
Players
Fans
Have no say in this bull****
But
Conferences
CFP
ESPN and Fox
Decide everything
Will **** it up
So stupid

I think it’d have to be part of a major restructure where a new league entity is created and a handful of programs simply aren’t invited. There’s no real precedent for a University being kicked out of a league and I imagine there would be some serious legal issues.
Didn't the Big East boot Temple?

Yes, the football version of the conference did
Only time I think I've seen a school get kicked out of a conference. We'll see what happens here-I mean I'd expect somebody like Vanderbilt to be willing to take a haircut in media revenue to stay where they are.

I have trouble accepting that it was an impossible job when I consider what Yormark accomplished with more disruption and lesser assets vis a vis the Big 12 situation.
I thought the story was….
an average deal comparable to the BXII was offered by ESPN/FOX….
GK presented it to the Presidents….
The presidents voted against it bc they thought the P12 was worth more.

So yeah. GK got screwed.

We're heading for a power 3-heard a guy talk about FSU/GT to the Big 10, the Carolina/VA schools to the SEC, and a group of leftovers led by Clemson to the XII.

I gotta think the final round of this would include something resembling a move west by the SEC. You can't match what the Big 10 did, but I think you can't give up this part of the country totally. Utah/CU?
It’s a Power 2 now. And were not in it. Perhaps were in the conference closest to. But def not in it.

I thought the story was….
an average deal comparable to the BXII was offered by ESPN/FOX….
GK presented it to the Presidents….
The presidents voted against it bc they thought the P12 was worth more.

So yeah. GK got screwed.
The job of the commissioner is to provide decisionmakers with a compelling vision for what’s next. He’s supposed to be the expert. He didn’t show it.

The SMU v. Memphis basketball game came on ESP and I started to watch because I wanted to see our future conference-mates. And now I’m second-guessing that.

The SMU v. Memphis basketball game came on ESP and I started to watch because I wanted to see our future conference-mates. And now I’m second-guessing that.

At first I thought you meant ESPN. But then when you wrote about SMU and Memphis as conference mates it was clear you did mean ESP as they are not going to be in the B12 anytime soon.

So what year are you hearing that CU, SMU and Memphis will all be in the same conference on your ESP receiver?

Only time I think I've seen a school get kicked out of a conference. We'll see what happens here-I mean I'd expect somebody like Vanderbilt to be willing to take a haircut in media revenue to stay where they are.

They probably are doing that but in exchange for keeping sensitive conference records, they get a full media payout anyway.

At first I thought you meant ESPN. But then when you wrote about SMU and Memphis as conference mates it was clear you did mean ESP as they are not going to be in the B12 anytime soon.

So what year are you hearing that CU, SMU and Memphis will all be in the same conference on your ESP receiver?
I did mean ESPN - that was a typo on my phone.

Yes, I was surprised to learn that SMU and Memphis aren't in the Big XII. I actually have no idea who is in the conference, and assumed that they were.

Football drives the train and UVA & UNC doesn't have much to offer in that regard except fertile recruiting grounds. Florida State and Norte Dame might be the only remaining non B1G and non SEC schools that moves the needle. But the TV executives have the money to offer so we should see what happens.

I don't care what anyone says here but we are fortunate to be in the Big 12.

If they want to look at meaningless comparisons great.

Doesn't matter how big the local population or state population is if they don't care about college football or those particular teams in college football. Stanford's national championships in water polo and beach volleyball are meaningless in this context.

None of the four programs is a must have for the big two conferences but Cal and Stanford are lucky that the ACC took them, they were close to being left out with Oregon State and Wazzou.

At the end of the day, I expect all four schools will have a seat at the table of a 64 +/- school league. It’s going to take some time to get there, though.

At the end of the day, I expect all four schools will have a seat at the table of a 64 +/- school league. It’s going to take some time to get there, though.
I don't think we end up with 64+.

Expect that the top division will be 30-40 school that are all in on the business of football.

Can easily see Stanford and Cal deciding that the compromises necessary to compete at that level aren't compatible with being elite educational institutions similar to what the Ivy League did decades ago.

UNC based on their history including giving basketball players degree based on imaginary classes on the other hand will do everything they can to stay in the top classification.

But if they don't make enough money for the rest of the schools they will be out as well.

64 is SIGNIFICANTLY too many. They could've just gone ahead with the current structure if that was the plan as the former P5 conferences didn't have many more members than that.

How many is the total in the final iteration? 40? There are 34 currently in the B1G/SEC. How many of those get booted; 4-6? So there could be room for 10-12 programs that are not currently part of it. Is CU among that group?

You can’t have a bunch of blue bloods fighting each other every week. They need a “league” that’s big enough to provide for scheduling a variety of opponents. 64 might be too high. It might be too low. It’s a number that would allow for a geographically disbursed group of schools. This is all pure conjecture, but 64 seems about right to me.

You can’t have a bunch of blue bloods fighting each other every week. They need a “league” that’s big enough to provide for scheduling a variety of opponents. 64 might be too high. It might be too low. It’s a number that would allow for a geographically disbursed group of schools. This is all pure conjecture, but 64 seems about right to me.
As much as the networks may love the idea, the schools and their fans have no interest at places like USC or Texas or Bama or Michigan or Notre Dame to play a schedule where an 8-4 record represents a damn fine season.

Back