What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

You're acting as if this 48 hour delay in making an official announcement is costing CU a top 10 recruiting class. News Flash: It's Not.
No, but a 44th ranked class that possibly slips to, say 64th, may make a difference down the road.

just to be optimistic-- maybe once the staff is announced, the recruits they will chase and land will make us forget the early signing day.

Would a school really hold off on an announcement because of a President funeral? I mean Fox News or CNN wasn't covering the Colorado search. ESPN is not going to be covering the funeral and will mention the CU hiring with a small blurb regardless when it was announced. Unfortunately a CU hire isn't capturing the news cycle regardless when it happens.

As for Campbell he probably has limitless options with another good season. The NFL, USC, FSU if Willie has another bad season, Penn State if Franklin would go to USC, etc...

Yeah the HW Bush funeral doesn't matter at all here guys. If this is done tomorrow, its going to be announced tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm not worried about holding together the currently 44th ranked recruiting class, outside of a handful of guys. Hopefully Tucker has already assembled the majority of his staff and making decisions on holdovers, that way they can hit the ground running in the next few days and actually improve the recruiting class.

Agree with this-there are some good pieces in this class for sure (Evans and Mangham to name a couple). Keep the core of the class and hopefully MT can build around them-UGA losing Saturday was actually better for us. No need for him to go coach in the Sugar Bowl.

It is not just the HC. If the delay means we are announcing other coaches, it makes some sense.

Otherwise, how exactly are we going host any visitors the weekend after next? Seems silly to ignore that the one real weekend to host recruits before signing day is in limbo.
I don't know man, they'll work it out, but what seems silly is doom and gloom. Rick George clearly stated recruiting is huge for him, and Tucker has been immersed in arguably the most intense recruiting culture in the country for the last 4 years. Neither one of them are just sitting around with their thumb up their asses reflecting on life while the recruiting game passes them by. Everything is going to be just fine. Hell, for all you or I know, Tucker has already assembled his staff and been in contact with certain recruits.

No, but a 44th ranked class that possibly slips to, say 64th, may make a difference down the road.
That's actually not as big a difference as it seems, tbh, but regardless, you need to trust Rick George and Mel Tucker to do what's best for the program, and if there is something going on that we are unaware of that is holding things up from an announcement, then there's a reason for it.

Play on the word "Gelato". He names his Italian dishes after CU players and coaches. I guess that joke fell flat. :oops:
naming conventions of menu items at a non-chain restaurant is a fairly esoteric reference

I don't know man, they'll work it out, but what seems silly is doom and gloom. Rick George clearly stated recruiting is huge for him, and Tucker has been immersed in arguably the most intense recruiting culture in the country for the last 4 years. Neither one of them are just sitting around with their thumb up their asses reflecting on life while the recruiting game passes them by. Everything is going to be just fine. Hell, for all you or I know, Tucker has already assembled his staff and been in contact with certain recruits.

pretty sure that isn't the case-- there are rules about coaching transitions. and, without an official hiring announcement, not sure that the coaches can even do that. and, last, this would absolutely positively 100% leak given the contact between recruiting reporters and prospects.

Yeah, he seems like a dude that even though CU is dragging their feet he's got his sh*t wired tight. They just need to get this done, get the hell outta the way and let the man go to work.

pretty sure that isn't the case-- there are rules about coaching transitions. and, without an official hiring announcement, not sure that the coaches can even do that. and, last, this would absolutely positively 100% leak given the contact between recruiting reporters and prospects.
What if he's already signed his contract and Rick George just hates AllBuffs and has decided to give a big **** you to everyone here having a mental breakdown?

I would not consider what's going on being a mental breakdown. I view it as disrespect to the fanbase, players, future players, recruits, recruit parents, other coaches on staff,

Yeah, he seems like a dude that even though CU is dragging their feet he's got his sh*t wired tight. They just need to get this done, get the hell outta the way and let the man go to work.

Tucker's former agent was the leak that led to the reports over the weekend......

I would not consider what's going on being a mental breakdown. I view it as disrespect to the fanbase, players, future players, recruits, recruit parents, other coaches on staff,

That’s a little extreme. Is it frustrating and stupid? Sure. But they have a plan so just let them execute it. RG isn’t disrespecting anyone.

That’s a little extreme. Is it frustrating and stupid? Sure. But they have a plan so just let them execute it. RG isn’t disrespecting anyone.

The plan better be compelling when it is finally revealed. Otherwise, there is not a single positive reason to keep the players, recruits, coaches and even fans in limbo as this silence stretches on.

If they hit the ground running, great.

Just don't want to hear any "what did you expect in such a short timeframe????" spin after the fact.

Would be nice stuff like this is actually discussed at the mythical announcement.

Disrespectful? JFC, man. With all due respect, get a ****ing life.
what if You were a coach on this staff? wouldn't you like to know what kind of plan you need. You have kids in school a wife - do you need to start looking for a job? no one likes being employed and not knowing what is going on. **** the recruits - there are plenty of them. I am thinking about coaches and staff members who don't know what is going on. That is disrespectful. You get a ****ing life.

what if You were a coach on this staff? wouldn't you like to know what kind of plan you need. You have kids in school a wife - do you need to start looking for a job? no one likes being employed and not knowing what is going on. **** the recruits - there are plenty of them. I am thinking about coaches and staff members who don't know what is going on. That is disrespectful. You get a ****ing life.
Of course you would like to know, but these coaches know what they signed up for. They get paid quite well to coach a game, this limbo is a part of the job, they know that. You don't need to worry about them they'll all be just fine.

That's actually not as big a difference as it seems, tbh, but regardless, you need to trust Rick George and Mel Tucker to do what's best for the program, and if there is something going on that we are unaware of that is holding things up from an announcement, then there's a reason for it.
I heard the same about trusting Hawkins and MM. It is a legitimate concern to lose, let's say Toler. Two CB's have already decommitted, Toler was the best of the group. At this stage, getting a solid CB or two will prove difficult. That can be a game changer during the next season or two - when teams target the weak link replacement CB's. That can absolutely translate to 3 or more losses. I do trust RG, entirely. However, if he is not pulling the trigger because he is at an NFL luncheon, is a huge mistake. This team needs all the recruiting help it can get.
That being said, if MT brings 4 or 5 players that were going to sign with Georgia, feel free to delete all of the content above!

Wow, interesting take.
This has nothing to do with whether they want to play for Tucker or not. It has to do with 17 and 18 year old young men having their doubts and uncertainties leveraged by opposing coaches, many of who have pedigrees as good or better than Tucker's. And more important than knowing who the head coach is, is who their position coaches will be because the fact of the matter is these young men will spend way more time with those men than they ever will with the head coach. This is a crazy time for players and families who are making a HUGE life decision. Having some concrete answers concerning the next 4 years of their lives is pretty damn important. But yeah, "Screw 'em all" says the guy who 2 years from now bitches and moans about what happened with the weak 2019 recruiting class...
Pretty sure you'll find that I have never come here to bitch....or moan. Eternal pessimist baby!! Now get me a f****** sammich

Simple question for you-why do you think contracts are set up so this staff is getting $4m collectively (somebody correct me if I don't have that figure right) between now and the end of 2019? I for one don't feel bad for a stooge like Klayton Adams-his unit has stunk for two years in a row and we're paying him almost half a million dollars between now and 2019.

Back