What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs. Mich: Are you at all happy with Buffs' performance?

After seeing the punt team's performance, I think we should follow that high school team's idea and never punt again. Go for it on fourth down. Every time.

I'm not happy with the loss, particularly when you consider how the team played in the 1st quarter.

The 2 questions I have going forward are, how do they respond after this loss, and how mentally tough are they after losing 2 (maybe 3) key players to injury?

One surprize? The local radio, which is typically 90% sooner/cowboy talk, said something reasonable this morning about the Buffs game against meatchicken. I almost drove into the ditch.
Well, what did they say?

The fact that I'm pissed about losing that game is encouraging to me. I had fun watching a game that in years past would have been a mud-holing. Football is more fun this year than it has been in a while.

However it is frustrating, and entirely unacceptable to me that the team is still suffering from the glaring weaknesses that have plagued this team for years. We have very little depth (see: recruiting) and cannot withstand injuries. QB development is a major problem, and special teams is still an frequent embarrassment.

I've moved from borderline apathetic to anger (which requires caring), so that's a positive development I suppose.

This isn't like the old Buffs. Still not enough depth. Still going to take a few years of being competitive to build depth with better players. Faster players. But they are in the process. A bowl game will help. Actually competing for the PAC 12 South title will help a lot. Which we can do is Sefo is healthy. Outside of Stanford we won't play anyone as good as Michigan was. And with better special teams we could have won that game. We are in this.

Not happy, but I can't go out there and win it for them. I wouldn't make the squad as towel boy.

I'm most unhappy about the fact that we were in a position to score a big upset and force a change in the perception of the program on a national level and we didn't get it done. We need a win vs Oregon, SC or Stanford this year to make an appropriate national statement that we are on the rise. Until we can get that done we will continue to contend against a country full of doubters, some of whom recruit against us. Any moral victory we may have achieved is quickly dispelled, when as a recruiter for another program you spin it as different year, same Buffs that lost by 17 to a top 25 team.

Well, what did they say?

Something like Colorado played well, or did well, but #4 meatchicken won at home.

Something along those lines.

I've been harboring a snide grin this morning. I've been waiting for one of the crimson-n-cream faithful to mention Saturdays games. I can respond, "Colorado did better on the road against top-5 Michigan than the land thieves did at home against top-5 blowhio state".

Yes...and no.

CU is coming out of the OOC with the best possible position, at least that anybody expected, 2-1. Staying within 17 of the #4 team on the road isn't too shabby.

As others I am sure have observed, the game was there for the taking, but CU made too many mistakes. I am looking at you punt team, and unnamed person(s) responsible for coaching that abortion of a punt formation.

I still think the max number of W's is five. Sorry, but that is how I see it. CU is too thin talent wise, lack of quality depth and the OL still limit this team. They are improving and I will root them on, but I have a hard time coming up with more than 3 P12 wins.

This appears to be the worst looking PAC-12 in years! I would lump Stanford and UDub together as really good and then ucla, Utah, USC, both zona schools, CU, Cal, Oregon and wash st as middle of the road programs who could beat or lose to any of the other mentioned on any given day.
I think the PAC is the worst P5 conference this season based off what I've seen. Colorado will and should win 4-5 conference games.

This appears to be the worst looking PAC-12 in years! I would lump Stanford and UDub together as really good and then ucla, Utah, USC, both zona schools, CU, Cal, Oregon and wash st as middle of the road programs who could beat or lose to any of the other mentioned on any given day.
I think the PAC is the worst P5 conference this season based off what I've seen. Colorado will and should win 4-5 conference games.

idk about worst, but the PAC is definitely top heavy.

I'm just pissed about our punt protection. It's not like it was a surprise that Mich likes to pressure punts and FGs, heck even HCMM got asked about it last week, and then on our first punt Mich does what they do and we look completely unprepared for it. WTF!!!! It was like Embree was coaching again.

Big12 says hi.

The ACC says hello as well. With FSU getting exposed as a pretender, that conference is 2 teams and not much else.

I hope you are right. I think OSU is as close to a conference gimme as there is. ASU, UA, WSU are the other teams on CU's schedule that are vulnerable. Stanford, USC, UCLA, are much more difficult games. Utah? Who knows. A lot is riding on this Oregon game. If CU can pull the upset, that would be huge and probably mean I am all wet. We'll see. Fact is, while CU is improved, and the some of the rest of the conference is down, going from 2 conference wins in three years to 4-5 in a single year is a quantum leap.

The ACC says hello as well. With FSU getting exposed as a pretender, that conference is 2 teams and not much else.

It just doesn't seem like there are many good teams this year. Who looks really good in the SEC outside of Alabama and maybe aTm?

I hope you are right. I think OSU is as close to a conference gimme as there is. ASU, UA, WSU are the other teams on CU's schedule that are vulnerable. Stanford, USC, UCLA, are much more difficult games. Utah? Who knows. A lot is riding on this Oregon game. If CU can pull the upset, that would be huge and probably mean I am all wet. We'll see. Fact is, while CU is improved, and the some of the rest of the conference is down, going from 2 conference wins in three years to 4-5 in a single year is a quantum leap.

I'm not so sure about putting USC in the more difficult group. Adversity isn't really their thing.

USC is the most talented team in the south, but soft
UCLA is probably the best overall team in the south
UofA doesn't function is Solomon is not healthy (sound familiar?) and they have no defense
ASU defense is bad. Like really bad. Like wet paper bag, bad.
UU is defensively very tough, but there offense is lethargic.

If Sefo is healthy, CU it isn't out of the realm of possibility to say CU could win the South. The Oregon game is huge. Win that game and the path to the post season gets much easier.

I'm not so sure about putting USC in the more difficult group. Adversity isn't really their thing.
We play SC in LA. When is the last time CU went in there and won? Do you really think CU stacks up talent wise? At any position? I hate to be the wet blanket, but CU will have to play a lights out in the Collisseum to beat even a pedestrian SC team.

USC is the most talented team in the south, but soft
UCLA is probably the best overall team in the south
UofA doesn't function is Solomon is not healthy (sound familiar?) and they have no defense
ASU defense is bad. Like really bad. Like wet paper bag, bad.
UU is defensively very tough, but there offense is lethargic.

If Sefo is healthy, CU it isn't out of the realm of possibility to say CU could win the South. The Oregon game is huge. Win that game and the path to the post season gets much easier.
Wow. OK, I hope you are right. I will sit down to a big old plate of crow with a smile on my face if you are. In the meantime, pass the bong....

Wow. OK, I hope you are right. I will sit down to a big old plate of crow with a smile on my face if you are. In the meantime, pass the bong....
I mean it wouldn't be pretty. I don't see us going 5-0 in the south, but we could go 3-2 or maybe 4-1 and win it because the other teams aren't great either.

Last edited:
I mean it wouldn't be pretty. I don't see us going 5-0 in the south, but we could go 3-2 or maybe 4-2 and win it because the other teams aren't great either.
Like I said, nobody would be happier to be wrong than me to get that outcome, ugly or not.

Very, very frustrated.

The punt team is a complete joke right now and coupled with the Sefo injury, cost them that game.

We also talked about depth and starting to see the issues associated with that. Losing Diego is absolutely huge. I have no faith in our kicking game at this point. Dmac injury is costly, but with Falo back, I am hopeful we can at least weather that injury.

It really proved to me that Sefo is the heart and soul of this team and him being out completely jeopardizes the entire offense. Coaches need to get them believing that this is going to happen and Montez or whoever else is just as capable.

This is still a good team and the goals they have are still very attainable. We shall see if they have the mental capacity to overcome these challenges. Oregon can be beat with what we have at this point in time.

I saw some national pundits taking notice of the team on twitter. Heard one (Michael David Smith) remark that no matter how the game finishes, this appears to be our best team since the Gary Barnett era... So in that regard, I think you sort of have to take these incremental gains for what they're worth... Not as satisfying as a signature win - but certainly better than being a non-competitive doormat.

To Skiddy's point from yesterday. "Legitimacy" is one of the possible narratives. However, unless you saw the first half, that message wasn't delivered.

The sports channels framed the game as a top ten team whoopin' ass on the hapless Buffs. No mention of a scare delivered by the offense, or a defense that largely stymied a top team. Nope, it was portrayed as a recruiting video for Michigan and, seriously, an anti-recruiting video for CU.

Everyone pay close attention to this^^^ You're absolutely right. The way that game was covered was pathetic. There was no effort whatsoever to portray that game as competitive or to credit the Buffs with rattling the Wolverines early in the game. You could hear a pin drop in that stadium when CU went up 21-7.

Lost. Unhappy.

Parts of the performance confirmed for me what the team is capable of, so I feel 100% justified in being upset at any loss and pissing on any suggestion of a "moral victory".
Certainly there is some truth to this... But we should have tiers of unhappiness to distinguish how we feel today, from how we felt, say, after Fresno State hung 69 on us at home... Or when we got beat by a division II school for the second time. I don't think it's fair to this team to just say, "I am unhappy with a loss." We are all unhappy with the loss - but this has got to be about the most palatable loss I can recall in the last few years.

Unhappy with the punt team's performance. Unhappy with overall LB performance.

Ecstatic about the rest.

Depth at a lot of positions is not even close to adequate.

Cu > Michigan at: QB, WR, DB
CU = Michigan at: OL, DL
CU < Michigan at: RB, TE, LB

CU <<<< Michigan at: Special Teams
Good points here. The Buffs' receivers burned Michigan's secondary numerous times. But once Montez went in, our O-line just crumbled. He and Gehrke (who was in for one play) went 0-8 passing for the rest of the game. In other words, after Sefo left, the Buffs didn't complete another pass. It didn't even matter how open our guys potentially were. Montez had no time to throw.

At that point (somewhere in the third quarter), the offensive play calling turned to garbage. Why can't that awful draw play to Phillip Lindsay up the middle from the shotgun be swept under the rug. It doesn't work! You don't send a 5'8" speedy guy like Lindsay up the gut vs. a Big 10 team that many times in a half. The repeated misuse of CU running backs in recent years is beyond annoying. Send Phil out to the flats and toss him the ball on some quick routes. Build a better play calling system from there.

I disagree somewhat with the equality you're suggesting between Michigan and CU's O-lines. Wilton Speight most of the time had waaaaay too much time to drop back, bounce around, scan the field, and wait for Jake Butt (#88) to get open...which he did very often. I thought Michigan's O-line did a better job than the Buffs'.

But overall...CU's secondary and wide receivers passed their first major test of the year, out-dueling opposition from an extremely talented school. Look for that to be a trend for the rest of the season. Other position groups must match that success though.

Certainly there is some truth to this... But we should have tiers of unhappiness to distinguish how we feel today, from how we felt, say, after Fresno State hung 69 on us at home... Or when we got beat by a division II school for the second time. I don't think it's fair to this team to just say, "I am unhappy with a loss." We are all unhappy with the loss - but this has got to be about the most palatable loss I can recall in the last few years.

Sounds good.

Dante's 9 Rings of Buff Hell Loss Meter

1st ring: Road loss at Georgia and bowl loss to Alabama.
2nd ring: Road losses at Florida State & Michigan that salted the wound with injuries.
3rd ring: All the close Pac-12 losses to teams that made bowl games.
4th ring: OSU and WSU home losses to bad teams that came down to final drives.
5th ring: Numerous Pac-12 games from 1st roadie vs Cal to last year vs Stanford that saw CU overwhelmed.
6th ring: Nebraska 2010 that cost us a bowl and Hawaii 2015 opener that pulled the rug out.
7th ring: Any loss to CSU.
8th ring: FCS losses to Montana State and Sacramento State.
9th ring: Fresno State game. It is impossible to go any lower.

4Q Kansas meltdown gets no respect. (Sorry for bringing that up)

Back