What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUnit AMA (Technically, ask US anything)

Back to the OP, the Q&A:

• Will there be a BuffGirl calendar coming out in January (all proceeds go to sending CUnit to postseason games)?
  • Was the CUnit's presence at football games this season coordinated, or voluntary?
  • Who makes/pays for/designs the fatheads?
  • Do you have to turn away students, and do you encourage them to start a complementary football student support group (if CU football had a CUnit, it would probably translate into additional wins)?

In order.

1) Haha - let us borrow some capital and we will look into it. Just like selling the TShirts idea. TShirts aren’t free, before you sell them, you have to buy them.
2) All voluntary
3) We coordinate fathead creation with the CU marketing and promotions office (they have the big color printer). We send them our ideas, and we make them in our free time. Marketing also helps with making them. Materials come out of marketing discretionary budget I think. (glue, boards, ink etc. are the costs)
4) We don’t turn away students ever - that’s would be an existential threat to the CUnit. We have talked a lot about football in this AMA and there are some really good answers out there about the obstacles to success in this realm but it’s something that we are working on long term. Again, the CUnit is not the reason we have struggled to put a really competitive football team on the field since...2004?...those things are unrelated. They fact that people are looking to us for answers is flattering (it means we’re successful in the areas we focus) but to cross apply the student section strategy to a folsom is not possible. Hence why are looking for ways to tackle (pun very much intended) the problem.

In order.

1) Haha - let us borrow some capital and we will look into it. Just like selling the TShirts idea. TShirts aren’t free, before you sell them, you have to buy them.
2) All voluntary
3) We coordinate fathead creation with the CU marketing and promotions office (they have the big color printer). We send them our ideas, and we make them in our free time. Marketing also helps with making them. Materials come out of marketing discretionary budget I think. (glue, boards, ink etc. are the costs)
4) We don’t turn away students ever - that’s would be an existential threat to the CUnit. We have talked a lot about football in this AMA and there are some really good answers out there about the obstacles to success in this realm but it’s something that we are working on long term. Again, the CUnit is not the reason we have struggled to put a really competitive football team on the field since...2004?...those things are unrelated. They fact that people are looking to us for answers is flattering (it means we’re successful in the areas we focus) but to cross apply the student section strategy to a folsom is not possible. Hence why are looking for ways to tackle (pun very much intended) the problem.

I did a, what I can consider conservative, estimate on T-Shirts. Obviously you have to purchase them which you would have to borrow capital for, but if you sold them at $15 a piece, you would make that up in a hurry. Especially on a large order.

I did a, what I can consider conservative, estimate on T-Shirts. Obviously you have to purchase them which you would have to borrow capital for, but if you sold them at $15 a piece, you would make that up in a hurry. Especially on a large order.

Oh yes we know the return on investment could be very high selling our sweet new t's. We have no control over our own budget though so we have no leverage in this area. The long term goal is set up an avenue for donors to donate directly to the CUnit and allow us to control some of these things.

Idk exactly how the process works, but it shouldn't be too hard to generate some seed money by using a website and a paypal account right?

Oh yes we know the return on investment could be very high selling our sweet new t's. We have no control over our own budget though so we have no leverage in this area. The long term goal is set up an avenue for donors to donate directly to the CUnit and allow us to control some of these things.

Just a thought - but I'd start by contacting some former C-Unit students. Folks who have moved on and are now in the workforce. Sell them a vision about what you want the C-Unit to become, and they'll pony up. It won't be much, but it'll be enough for some seed money to run a few projects. Those folks are already invested. It won't take much of a pitch.

Idk exactly how the process works, but it shouldn't be too hard to generate some seed money by using a website and a paypal account right?

In theory yes. The AD would have to be behind us here though because we are using CU branding.

What happened to all the extra moustaches that Allbuffs gave you guys last year?

In theory yes. The AD would have to be behind us here though because we are using CU branding.

Ideally, they *should* be pretty supportive of what you're trying to do. Remember, you are students at the school. The school exists for your benefit, not anybody else's. Just make sure you aren't using the logo in a way that would be embarassing to the school, and you should be fine. They may want a cut of the profits, though.

Just a thought - but I'd start by contacting some former C-Unit students. Folks who have moved on and are now in the workforce. Sell them a vision about what you want the C-Unit to become, and they'll pony up. It won't be much, but it'll be enough for some seed money to run a few projects. Those folks are already invested. It won't take much of a pitch.

We already do this and they are in contact with us on a number of projects. That’s the cool thing about the CUnit, every leader from 2004 on still contributes/helps/supports/donates. We aren’t talking about hundreds of people though, maybe 5-8 tops.

Does the CUnit get any funding from the student government? If not, why the **** not?

Does the CUnit get any funding from the student government? If not, why the **** not?

I have actually been active in student government and to acquire some of their funding wold require us to jump through some pretty ridiculous hoops (legislation, time, hearings, meetings, general negative feedback of “oh why are my student fees going to the basketball student section when i’m not a season ticket holder”) Basically, it’s an access thing. I may not necessarily agree with it, but it also just may not be worth our time to get whatever nominal amount of money CUSG would throw our way. In short, we should. In long, we probably wont.

Does the C-Unit get together, even in smaller numbers, to watch road games (at bars, houses, on campus)?

Does the C-Unit get together, even in smaller numbers, to watch road games (at bars, houses, on campus)?

When conference play starts we will host official away game watch parties at Half Fast subs on the Hill (Where we have the CUnit Sandwich). Some of them will be bigger than others and sometimes we just watch the games at home or buddies houses.

What is the CUnit's official outlook on this season? Sweet 16? Round of 32, 64? NIT? None of the above.

4 more...

1) I know many other student sections around the country have a charity component/community service work. Do you guys do anything like that for membership or just to be more involved in Boulder, besides your meetings and attending the games?

2) Are some members of the C-Unit guaranteed front row student section seats or is everyone on a first come first serve basis?

3) Why were there a few blue t-shirts in student section on Saturday?

4) Would you guys have rushed the court vs. Kansas if the game didn't end with a buzzer beater?

4) Would you guys have rushed the court vs. Kansas if the game didn't end with a buzzer beater?

I can answer #4. The students were lined up next to me and ready to go with over 2 minutes left in the game.

In order.

2) All voluntary

I'm extremely encouraged to hear that CU Marketing is involved in CUnit's efforts. To be extremely clear- I think CU has done a **** job establishing a connection for students to maintain once they become alumni, especially during the Bohn years. For all the good he did, this was one his failings. CUnit helps establish this nostalgic connection that breeds a culture of donors.

Not to be too melodramatic, but CUnit is doing extremely important work to help ensure the future of CU athletics. This thread indicates that not only is there passion, but there is strategic intent as well. Awesome.

Rep.

4 more...

1) I know many other student sections around the country have a charity component/community service work. Do you guys do anything like that for membership or just to be more involved in Boulder, besides your meetings and attending the games?

2) Are some members of the C-Unit guaranteed front row student section seats or is everyone on a first come first serve basis?

3) Why were there a few blue t-shirts in student section on Saturday?

1) Yes - look out for something at the end of the season. I’m not going to say much else about it because we are working hard on it but philanthropy is a major addition to the CUnit agenda for 13’-14’ and will forever be going forward. This is just the first year we have had the momentum and resources to do something meaningful.
2) First come first serve for the most part. But the kids that get in 2 hours pre-tip (pre doors) to do newspaper and buffchips and set up the student section are obviously going to be “first come".
3) Not sure - I was watching us beat Kansas on the floor. Maybe CU students getting who didn’t have time to change pregame, it happens. If they were KU fans they would have been booed out of the section or tossed out by ARGUS.
4) what if, what if, what if..... Do you honestly expect me to give you a straight up answer here, speak on behalf of 3000 students, and say we have some policy of when we rush the court or not. We don’t. If it happens, it happens. Nobody can actually control this. Eventually home games against any opponent will be expected wins and we won’t rush the court.

I'm extremely encouraged to hear that CU Marketing is involved in CUnit's efforts. To be extremely clear- I think CU has done a **** job establishing a connection for students to maintain once they become alumni, especially during the Bohn years. For all the good he did, this was one his failings. CUnit helps establish this nostalgic connection that breeds a culture of donors.

Not to be too melodramatic, but CUnit is doing extremely important work to help ensure the future of CU athletics. This thread indicates that not only is there passion, but there is strategic intent as well. Awesome.

Rep.

Thank you Denver_Sc. Without question, we understand that what we’re doing here is much much bigger than ourselves and has the ability to become something very special over the course of many years. Breeding a culture of donors is essential to the successes of a major college athletic department and we think that what we’re doing with the CUnit is a good start. The strategic intent is there as you noted as well and I cannot echo the fact enough that we are all students doing this by ourselves with a value structure where credit and blame fall on the collective and not on the individual. It’s unique and special, fun and rewarding. Also, reading things like this make me feel extra great. The vote of confidence from BuffNation is evident and that means a lot to us who have been raised diehard fans from the day we were born.

College was one of the favorite 5 years of my life. Many folks that smirked at me at the time came back and said I did it right. I don't judge.

I got done in 4.... then spent the next year coming back to boulder every weekend to party with the guys that did it right.

I got out in 4, and dont regret doing it that way - went to grad school and continued the lifestyle for another 2 years.

Back