What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's Booster Support

Bottom line, doesn't matter if you are the guy delivering papers, or the inventer of crocs, or Apple computers.... you need to field a winner to get cash. No one individual, including T. Boone, all the donors for UT and Oklahoma, or any other program are going to throw cash to a athletic program (department) if the school doesn't produce results, and that would be wins.

The people that have the financial ability to donate achieved this position by producing/inventing/generating a winning product or service did they not?

Bottom line, doesn't matter if you are the guy delivering papers, or the inventer of crocs, or Apple computers.... you need to field a winner to get cash. No one individual, including T. Boone, all the donors for UT and Oklahoma, or any other program are going to throw cash to a athletic program (department) if the school doesn't produce results, and that would be wins.

The people that have the financial ability to donate achieved this position by producing/inventing/generating a winning product or service did they not?

How did OU regain booster support after the lackluster 90s?

There is no profit without investment. That is how it works.

Winner

CU doesn't garner much in-state support. Therefore, people graduate and scatter. Most of the other schools are the state school. Kids from the state go there, they graduate, and they stick around. The population in most of those states take great pride in their schools as well - probably because most of the schools are saturated with pro teams.

At CU, kids come from out of state, they party, they learn, they enjoy the outdoors, and if they watch some football on the side, then that is pretty good. When they graduate, they take off, without much thought of donating back to athletics. Tack onto the fact that the CU athletics compete with not just other state schools, but professional sports... and you have a recipe for weak support.

That is my unscientific analysis

I missed what you mean by the part in bold above, but overall this analysis makes alot of sense to me too. I think this also ties to the fact that Denver is and always will be a Bronco town first and foremost, and college football is more of an afterthought to most.

Don't worry I'm winning Powerball tonight. The men's tennis team will be the envy of college sports. I got this!

Warren Buffet. Yes, he does indeed have deep pockets.

Warren Buffet does have deep pockets but I am not too sure he throws mega bucks to NU's atheletic program (at least I never heard or read about it) unless it is by being a silent donor. Yes, the NU Boosters do a lot of the contributing.

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are going to pour their money into a fund to help the worlds poor when they die..A black hole..

RalphieMalph..How many trillions of dollars have been given to the poor? I do not know,But they never go away and by that I mean It's a great gig if you can get it. In the USA other parts of the world it sucks to be poor.

RalphieMalph..How many trillions of dollars have been given to the poor? I do not know,But they never go away and by that I mean It's a great gig if you can get it. In the USA other parts of the world it sucks to be poor.

wow. It's awesome to be poor! :lol:

Note: I think that's what he is saying, his grammar is so bad its impossible to be sure.

Robert Redford. He came here on a baseball scholarship I believe.
Cal Ripkin Jr's daughter goes to CU
Tom Shane(your friend in the diamond business) is an alum.
The guy from Oz, who now stars in law and order, is also an alum.
Hale Irwin obviously
Sports announcer Jim Gray
Chris Fowler
Steve Wozniak (the guy who invented the apple computer)

In case anyone was curious his name is Christopher Meloni...

With more wins comes more $$ support...

It's also what is done with the money.

2 things:

1. I didn't neg rep whomever just left me anonymous positive rep (somehow I'm thinking Tadploe)

2. I also have no idea what point you're trying to make, Tadploe. If you're trying to say that poverty will always exist regardless of how much money gets thrown at it, well... you're entitled to hold that opinion and you might be right. That said, if you extend that statement to read "poverty will always exist regardless of how much money gets thrown at it, ergo people should direct their charitable donations towards building new football facilities", then I think your claim becomes utterly preposterous.

I think the higher education funding issues point to a larger disconnect between the state and its residents. Several CU graduates I talk to have not been back on campus since they graduated. Maybe I just happen to encounter the outliers, but I'm not so sure. The weirdest thing about the funding issues is that Colorado has one of the most educated populaces (measured by highest level of education attained) in the country. Yet the universities struggle.

When you turn the attention to athletics, that disconnect is there as well. For whatever reason, CU has not been able to show residents that they have a stake in the athletic department.

I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say Colorado residents don't care about higher education. As you say, it is one of the most educated populaces in the country. I think it's more accurate to say that they take it for granted, and also that they don't tend to think of higher education only in terms of CU (or CSU or other in-state institutions). The fact that Colorado has lots of people who have moved here from out-of-state means that when they think of the importance of higher education, that includes schools everywhere, not just in Colorado. In *ebraska, I'm sure UNL is THE school people there think of when it comes to higher education. In Texas, where residents tend to think of Texas first and foremost, the in-state schools get the vast majority of the focus. And so on...

As far as the football goes, the program simply isn't a dominant force in the state like the fuskers, wHorns, Sooners and other programs are in their state. In terms of defining common identity, for Coloradans it falls behind not only the pro sports teams, but outdoor sports, scenic beauty and a variety of regional factors in terms of defining a common identity. Even when you look at perceptions of CU itself, the football program falls somewhere behind the "crazy hippies, pot smokers and Ward Churchill" perception for much of the general populace of the state (ahead of the Nobel Prize winners, though... :huh:). It just isn't an environment, overall, that really lends itself to encouraging massive donations to the football program. Not sure what, if anything, should be done about that, though.... :huh:

I missed what you mean by the part in bold above, but overall this analysis makes alot of sense to me too. I think this also ties to the fact that Denver is and always will be a Bronco town first and foremost, and college football is more of an afterthought to most.

What I meant was that the other Big 12 teams don't have nearly the sports landscape that Denver/Boulder does. Nuggets, Broncos, Rockies, Avs and a host of other smaller teams mean that the Buffs have to compete with these franchises.

You can go to these other Big 12 teams/cities, and for the most part they one of just a couple of offerings. That means that the general fanbase is much more rapid, creating a more positive perception of the team. That positive perception helps people who want to feel connected to 'their' team donate mullah.

We were winning in the 90's. What do we have to show for that? The Dal Ward is already outdated. I'm not trying to say it's a POS, but other schools that we should be able to compete with are already ahead of us.

OK, so unless there is a change in booster support are we doomed to mediocrity and nothing more than TCU or BYU status?

What are you guys saying? Where do you see CU competing year in and year out in the Big XII.

As far as the football goes, the program simply isn't a dominant force in the state like the fuskers, wHorns, Sooners and other programs are in their state. In terms of defining common identity, for Coloradans it falls behind not only the pro sports teams, but outdoor sports, scenic beauty and a variety of regional factors in terms of defining a common identity. Even when you look at perceptions of CU itself, the football program falls somewhere behind the "crazy hippies, pot smokers and Ward Churchill" perception for much of the general populace of the state (ahead of the Nobel Prize winners, though... :huh:). It just isn't an environment, overall, that really lends itself to encouraging massive donations to the football program. Not sure what, if anything, should be done about that, though.... :huh:

Let's face it, that sums it up extremely well. :huh:

What I meant was that the other Big 12 teams don't have nearly the sports landscape that Denver/Boulder does. Nuggets, Broncos, Rockies, Avs and a host of other smaller teams mean that the Buffs have to compete with these franchises.

So what you meant in your original post (quoted below) is that most of the other Big 12 schools aren't saturated with pro teams. Got ya. :thumbsup:

The population in most of those states take great pride in their schools as well - probably because most of the schools are saturated with pro teams.

How did OU regain booster support after the lackluster 90s?

2000 NC...... and the fact in the 10 years Bob Stoops has been there they have played for the Big XII Championship 7 times.... and actually the booster support was there while Gary Gibbs was coach the 1st couple of years after The King. It really dropped off in the mid 90's, especially when they hired Howard "the drunk" Schellenberger, and it kinda picked up with John Blake as he was The King's personal choice.....

whats helped even more is President Boren, once he retired from the US Senate jump started the support for the athletic department too.....

Troll, troll, troll your boat.

You can go to these other Big 12 teams/cities, and for the most part they one of just a couple of offerings. That means that the general fanbase is much more rapid, creating a more positive perception of the team. That positive perception helps people who want to feel connected to 'their' team donate mullah.

hmmmmm I would agree for the mosty part except for the Big XII teams in Tejas.... Rangers, Astros, Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, Cowboys and Texans.....

never-the-less you do see the Big XII colleges doing fairly well here, exception Baylor, with mershindise sales, sell-outs at home games, press and such....

hmmmmm I would agree for the mosty part except for the Big XII teams in Tejas.... Rangers, Astros, Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, Cowboys and Texans.....

never-the-less you do see the Big XII colleges doing fairly well here, exception Baylor, with mershindise sales, sell-outs at home games, press and such....

If Colorado had about 25 million people, we wouldn't be talking about these issues IMO.

But UT and TT aren't competing for the entertainment sports dollar against any of those teams in their respective local markets, and A&M isn't exactly a suburb of Houston like Boulder is to Denver.

Regardless, college football is much bigger in Texas than it is in Colorado, that's just how it is.

If Colorado had about 25 million people, we wouldn't be talking about these issues IMO.

no there are universities here in Tejas that due suffer the same as CU.... only problem is the ones that come to mind are private universities... not public ones..... even though Houston, UTEP, and others not from a BCS conference fall in the same boat as CU...

and hey didnt CU just receive about 10 million, give or take a dollar or two, from the conference as part of their share of bowl reciepts???

Alabama and South Carolina have similar populations to CO and those 2 states don't have any problems averaging about 80K per game for each of their 2 major college programs. :huh:

Alabama and South Carolina have similar populations to CO and those 2 states don't have any problems averaging about 80K per game for each of their 2 major college programs. :huh:

Neither of those states have pro teams. Or educated populaces.

I think it is significant that the front range is one of the most educated places in the US. I wonder what percentage of those with college degrees on the front range have CU degrees. If you're living in Denver and have a degree from Texas Tech or the University of Iowa, it's not surprising that you don't have CU season tix.

Back