What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's Booster Support

Neither of those states have pro teams. Or educated populaces.

I think it is significant that the front range is one of the most educated places in the US. I wonder what percentage of those with college degrees on the front range have CU degrees. If you're living in Denver and have a degree from Texas Tech or the University of Iowa, it's not surprising that you don't have CU season tix.

in a 180 degree turn-a-round..... and I think this was mentioned before in this thread...

How many CU grads, whether in-state or out-of-state high schools relocate some place else other than the front range and dont try to make trips back for a home game at least once a year for a football game....

Neither of those states have pro teams. Or educated populaces.

I think it is significant that the front range is one of the most educated places in the US. I wonder what percentage of those with college degrees on the front range have CU degrees. If you're living in Denver and have a degree from Texas Tech or the University of Iowa, it's not surprising that you don't have CU season tix.

The bulk of CO's population is in Denver, which goes back to my earlier point, that Denver is a Bronco/pro sports town. Not a criticism, just how it is. And in the case of South Carolina, the bulk of their population is spread over 4 major areas - Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia, Charleston, and a southern Charlotte suburb. Furthermore, there's 2 NFL teams within 2 hours of Clemson, and 1 NFL team a little over an hour north of USC's campus.

I'm not trying to compare CU to OU, UT, or kNU. I'm talking about the KSU, ISU and KU. I think we should be able to keep up with those schools no?

Boulder is a pretty rich city. There really shouldn't be any excuses as why we cannot preform at the level that those schools do.

Let's face it, that sums it up extremely well. :huh:

So what you meant in your original post (quoted below) is that most of the other Big 12 schools aren't saturated with pro teams. Got ya. :thumbsup:

Yeah - sorry, my language in that first post was less than stellar :lol:

Colorado is at the leading edge of the lucrative global ________ industry.
A) Ski
B) HiTech
C) Oil
D) BioTech
E) Financial Services
F) Software
G) Sporting Goods and Athletic Apparell
H) Brewing, Beverage, and Spirits
I) Financial Services
J) Aerospace
K) Aggraculture
L) Tourism & Hospitality
M) Education
N) Healthcare
O) Aviation
P) Government
Q) Movies & Entertainment
R) Herbal Tea, mercinary magazine, and ugly but comfortable plastic shoes for kids and people with no taste.

The reason I ask this question is that my hypothesis is that there is a natural relationship between jumbo industries and jumbo donars to the CU athletic department. Colorado and the Denver market is primarily a regional distribution location that doesn't lead the nation in any leading industry. The leading company in the area in revenue is Qwest, which pales in comparison to AT&T and Verizon. How many Qwest excecutives are passionate about the Buffs enough to fund the best sports facilities in the B12? There are not any fortune 50 companies that are HQ'd in the Denver/Boulder MSA. And there are very few Fortune 500s.

For CU to land a whale, it needs to be part of a state that puts the development of wealth as a higher priority.

CU does not leverage the state's humongous tourism or agricultural industries. The investment in the Denver/Fitzsimons Medical Center is a good move, but the distance from Boulder means a lower corelation with alums who are willing to pump cash into CU-Boulder's athletic arms race.

When your alumni take a percentage of their saleries in scenery, you are not creating a donar class of alumni.

And if your alumni come from OOS on a ratio of 1:1 with instate, you can expect your graduates to leave the state if there isn't some thriving industry there to snap up CU's best and brightest. At the end of the day, you want alumni who show up for the game on Saturday and also throw a few grand in donations towards the C-club. If I had only a thousand to put towards traveling to see the game, or donating to the school, I'd spend that money on rental cars, plane tickets, hotel rooms, and the price of admission. Thus Hertz rental, Marriot Hotels, and American airlines is syphoning off 90 percent of my CU fan support, just by the fact that I'm unable to land a high paying job within driving distance of CU Boulder. Multiply this math times 2,500 alumni graduating every year, and this helps paint the picture of why CU is not leading the B12 football arms race.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't thing having pro teams affect our attendance. I think its a BS excuse. We only play 7 home games a year.

Maybe people are choosing between going to a Buff game and going to a Bronco game. And our diehard core group of fans is the 20k that you saw at the spring game, the rest are bandwagon fans who choose to spend their money on pro teams.

Maybe people are choosing between going to a Buff game and going to a Bronco game. And our diehard core group of fans is the 20k that you saw at the spring game, the rest are bandwagon fans who choose to spend their money on pro teams.
I proudly count myself as one of those diehard core group of fans. I would prefer to see a Buff game before any other sports venue.

If we only had 2 million more fans like me!! We would have no problem filling a 100K-seat stadium. :lol:

I proudly count myself as one of those diehard core group of fans. I would prefer to see a Buff game before any other sports venue.

If we only had 2 million more fans like me!! We would have no problem filling a 100K-seat stadium. :lol:

and if every one of your 2 million friends donated 5 dollars, we'd have a good nest egg toward new facilities.

You don't have to choose between the Broncos of the Buffs. They play on different days. But you'd have to be pretty well off to afford both season tix. I wish I could.

You don't have to choose between the Broncos of the Buffs. They play on different days. But you'd have to be pretty well off to afford both season tix. I wish I could.
That and a pretty forgiving wife. I can get the family up to the games once a week, but back to back days is a bit much. :lol:

How did OU regain booster support after the lackluster 90s?

while their sellout streak ended, didn't they still have a nicely populated venue?

i think a lot of growing a fanbase happened in the 60s, when they chose to fill the stands no matter what by offering 50 cent tickets. with the success in the 70s and 80s (combined with the number of people who made it a habit to support the sooners) the years the sooners do poorly no longer matter.

they are hooked like someone fiending for crack cocaine.

I had both back in 2005 and 2006 and is a tough to go to both all the time. The booze bill by itself was pretty hefty as well.

Winning breeds success. Unfortunately, it has taken patience. The program is on the right track, and winning with a clean program will bring with it good, healthy publicity, which this program sorely needs. That will turn people's heads to look at this program again, in a new light. The public has a short memory, tends to jump on bandwagons, and kids grow up fast. In a few years, with a little luck, this will become a "sweetheart" program along the front range, and nationally. They will have a great story to tell as a "comeback" program, and along with it, recruiting will become easier. Hopefully, with success, the dollars will flow easier too!:thumbsup:

Good words, chomp.

Also, thinking optimistically here, if the national championship was in 1990, and 1991 was also a pretty good year, those kids who watched that have been out of school about 18 yrs - give or take a few depending on which year they were in school at the time. If they were excited back then, maybe they are reaching the higher paying years of their career now - mid 40s and up - and will get sentimental.

Especially if the buffs are on the way back, that will bring back some memories and loosen the wallets.

Really? Does anyone know who this is? Whoever he is, he's got deeeeeeeeeep pockets. Didn't their new facility cost like 50M?
One donor is part owner of the AZ Diamondback's, another is an oilman who lives in texas, and there's another one that is in the banking industry (but he's probally broke) The new facility is almost paid off already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some things are getting better. For anyone that plays golf, play the course formally known as Vista Ridge. Soon to be Colorado National at Vista Ridge. Complete with Ralphie logos etc.

I don't know the exact setup, but the rumor is a significant portion of course revenue will be returned to CU as a donation for athletics. Also, it is going to be the golf teams home course.

I have seen several of the different logos they are trying to license to use, and there is talk of getting black & gold golf carts.

If I knew how to add pictures from my desktop I would post some logos they are looking at.

I stand by my assertion that Colorado residents don't really care about higher education in this state. The general attitude toward universities in the state is collective indifference. Add in the funding cuts (that will get worse when Referendum C sunsets), and I don't get why so many of you are shocked that someone would question whether the state actually cares about higher education. Does the fact that Colorado is 48th in the nation for funding higher education not cause a bit of concern? Unfortunately, it reflects the state's values IMO.

i have a little info to share. CU only gets 9.5% of its operating budget from the state, making us state assisted, not state funded. This actually does put us around 48th worst state when it comes to state funding for universities.

Learned that from working at the call center. Hey, i might even call one of you guys one day.

Back